Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I did my research on the various wheel carriers and one name kept coming back with rave reviews.... Kaymar.
I ordered the gear direct from Kaymar, I paid up front and then another mortgage for airfreight to Dubai.
After unwrapping the stuff I find a huge section with hardly any powder coating. Do they have quality control or is it done with guy and his white stick?
Either way it's rubbish and not what I expected from THE most expensive company making these swing out carriers.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
white stick "lol". Thats not good at all. I shall have to let you know when my rear bar arrives if its the same. I've gone for the Oz bar and I don't really know if they are made in AUS or outside by 3rd party company.

Maybe you can blow over that area with some flat black. It shouldn't have to be done I know but what else can you do.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,054 Posts
Get onto them straight away! I've seen many Maymar bars, and never a single issue.

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll email Kaymar and ask for replacement or compensation.
When I pay top dollar I expect top quality gear that will last a decent number of years.
How companies rectify complaints is a true sign of their professionalism. Let's see just how good they are.

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
I shall get the pop korn out and few beers. This shall be interesting to see how Kaymar handle it as was a overseas sale's. I was on the understanding that all UAE sales should of gone via the ARB dealer in Abu Dhabi or Dubai. What Kaymar have just done is under cut the local dealer if they loaded it direct as a export item. ARB Emirates 4x4 Accessories

ARB / Kaymar refuse to send anything to the Philippines direct so they can protect there agents and brand product. We can get it in the country but the local dealer refuse to support the product. I bring a lot of grey imports parts into the country for Nissan 4.8's. I also bring ARB items and its still cheaper then the main dealer in town. I have just been quoted by ARB Philippines for commercial bar with air freight 4000 USD. I can bring the same bar with freight on Etihad Cargo for around 1800 USD from South Africa. Africa chase volume, Philippines chase profit and it holds the product back form been a major brand name.

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I approached Kaymar directly and at no time did they refer me to ARB in Abu Dhabi.
In other parts of the carrier I can feel sand or grit under the powder coat.
The twin jerry can holder is absolutely filthy dirty.... covered in black soot!
I consolidated my shipment with a Long Ranger tank and BlackWidow storage drawers system. Because I demanded the best quality in the world I was prepared to pay for the $5500 airfreight charges. I certainly wasn't expecting this level of rubbish that I would normally associate with China and Indian made copies.

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
Refuse the item if its that bad and request a new one and exchange it. Post up some pictures and name and shame them if they don't come good. They shouldn't get away with such cheap ass workmanship if this is the case. I'm like you when it comes to paying the bit extra for the quality product. When I find its sub standard I start grinding the axe.

Do you think its made in AUS or some factory in Thailand or China. What are the welds like and the overall finish. I must admit this very rare for such a brand name.

I'm never going to moan about my freight charges again. I thought 800 USD over night from South Africa to Philippines was bad for 1000Kg of mixed parts. After reading your price I no longer feel like I was ripped off.

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
During my phone calls & emails with Kaymar they told me that it was made in Australia which according to them was the biggest quality factor over other brands in Australia (Powerfull 4x4)who contract their bars and bumpers to fabricators in China.
I've not unpacked the entire shipment yet because I wanted to send it to the fitters first. Maybe this carrier was a rejected item that found its way onto my pallet..... It really is that bad!

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
Did you tell them you were a Ex Land Rover driver. Maybe they thought it should be sent half finished as everyone in 4x4 world knows Land Rover drivers love to fix and tinker. Maybe there just trying to please you in strange way.

·
Registered
435 Posts
My kaymar bar is 10 months old and when I fitted it some of the powder coating looked like this but ONLY on the areas behind it ie places you carnt see, so I never worried about it, now the coating has started coming off on the RH wing about a 50c piece size, I rang them and was polite and keeper my cool (wanted blood really) they asked for photos in an email, sent them the next day, the following day got a reply saying they are going to replace the bar, I was stoked! No questions asked it was too easy THE best customer service I've ever experienced, was a relief finding this out when you pay such a premium price, will be interesting to see how you go being an overseas sale.
That is terrible tho

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,893 Posts
That is not power coat unless they had a really bad earth when spraying it. We do electrostatic spraying at work and it's designed to give an even coat over the whole substrate. As the paint is charged and the substrate is earthed it will get paint in areas such as up the inside of tubes without a problem.

If that is what there electrostatic painting looks like they really need to look at there earths as it's pretty much idiot proof and shouldn't miss anything no matter how bad you are at swinging a gun.

I would say that's been sprayed conventional by an apprentice. lol

Cheers Mick

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
This has got me worried now. My new Kaymar bar is in at the painter with the rest of the car as well for a few repairs. So I did not even get to see it when unpacked on Friday.

I might give them a call tomorrow morning before the paint goes on to ask if there is anything that looks sub-standard so they can take a photo before painting it.

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I've sent pictures this morning and would expect a reply Monday.
This panel is on the outside of the carrier...right where there name has been 'water jetted' into the panel. If it was on an inward facing panel I wouldn't mind so much but I went for Kaymar because they assured me the huge price difference over their competitors was reflected in the quality of the product.

Just because I'm over seas should make no difference in how they handle the complaint...poor quality and corrective actions have no borders when it comes to customer satisfaction.

Lets wait and see what they say.........

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
Yes good luck on a positive outcome.

Even if they will pay to have you get it re-painted over there, they are responsible for their quality control. Just make sure they do know that you are discussing this on a forum with many hundreds of other potential customers or non customers depending on the result (myself included).

I have not heard much bad about Kaymar except for the price and slow delivery time (took eight weeks for mine). Never heard a complaint about finish and quality so they certainly do not want to let something like this tarnish their reputation.

·
Registered
nissan
2,588 Posts
That is not power coat unless they had a really bad earth when spraying it. We do electrostatic spraying at work and it's designed to give an even coat over the whole substrate. As the paint is charged and the substrate is earthed it will get paint in areas such as up the inside of tubes without a problem.

If that is what there electrostatic painting looks like they really need to look at there earths as it's pretty much idiot proof and shouldn't miss anything no matter how bad you are at swinging a gun.

I would say that's been sprayed conventional by an apprentice. lol

Cheers Mick
if you go light on the powdercoating it will go like that aswell you need to go a few coats to get full coverage but for a bumper bar they really should be priming then powdercoating, so if its gets a chip it wont rust as easy

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kaymar use a rust preventing electro zinc plating before they apply the power coating.

Question for Mick. The Jerry can holder was absolutely filthy when it arrived.....I wiped it down with a few wet wipes and couldn't believe the amount of soot that came off!!.....could this be a by-product of the electrostatic spraying perhaps?
What about the sand and grit underneath the surface? Surely they would wipe down & de-grease all surfaces before applying the final finish?

I wonder if this was a rejected product or a shop soiled item that somehow found it's way onto my pallet?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,893 Posts
if you go light on the powdercoating it will go like that aswell you need to go a few coats to get full coverage but for a bumper bar they really should be priming then powdercoating, so if its gets a chip it wont rust as easy
Yes I'm aware of that but you can teach a monkey to powdercoat so it shouldn't really happen unless there is a bad earth or someone who has no idea. Yes it should have a primer that's for sure but to be transparent like you would have to have no idea what your doing. That should never have left the booth let alone got though quality control.

Kaymar use a rust preventing electro zinc plating before they apply the power coating.

Question for Mick. The Jerry can holder was absolutely filthy when it arrived.....I wiped it down with a few wet wipes and couldn't believe the amount of soot that came off!!.....could this be a by-product of the electrostatic spraying perhaps?
What about the sand and grit underneath the surface? Surely they would wipe down & de-grease all surfaces before applying the final finish?

I wonder if this was a rejected product or a shop soiled item that somehow found it's way onto my pallet?
The finished product should come out shiny with no by products, soot or dust mate.

The grit under the surface is probably welding splatter or where it was sand blasted prior to paint and not blown off properly. If a surface is sand blasted they should not actually touch the surface with anything it should be blown off really well, primed and painted unless they have a proper OEM dipping facility which I don't think they would. You only use chemical cleaners if the surface already has a paint or primer on it.

BTW that doesn't look like it has any zinc plating on that what so ever. The Zinc plating they would be referring to is a Zinc based single pack etc primer electrostatically sprayed I would imagine.

I personally think there using a paint such as LIC 40 straight over a sand blasted surface there. Not that it's a bad thing providing it's applied correctly. I would prefer LIC 40 over any powder coat anyway.

Cheers Mick

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
Just having a read through the Kaymar site to see what they say about rust protection and I see this in the Warranty page:

4.1 Kaymar 4WD Accessories strongly recommends the following:
4.1.6 Customer should galvanise to protect bar and/or tow bar from rust in a salt water environment.

I realise this is recommended for extra protection when used in a salty environment, like me towing and launching my boat on the beach.
But WTF, I thought they were already zinc electroplated for corrosion protection and then powdercoated. How would we the customer then get it galvanised, or why should we need to do this if their existing rust protection is up to standard.

·
Registered
nissan y61
4,788 Posts
We don't power coat anything any more. We had issues before and then a few years ago while looking at products made in South Africa they had also moved away from powder coating. All the 4x4 off raod trailers here are no longer powder coated. So we moved over to oil based paint with a hardener and you can hit with hammer and it not mark or chip. We don't do the painting its all done by one person who use to paint for BMW.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,893 Posts
Just having a read through the Kaymar site to see what they say about rust protection and I see this in the Warranty page:

4.1 Kaymar 4WD Accessories strongly recommends the following:
4.1.6 Customer should galvanise to protect bar and/or tow bar from rust in a salt water environment.

I realise this is recommended for extra protection when used in a salty environment, like me towing and launching my boat on the beach.
But WTF, I thought they were already zinc electroplated for corrosion protection and then powdercoated. How would we the customer then get it galvanised, or why should we need to do this if their existing rust protection is up to standard.
That sounds like a way of covering there ass when there paint fails because if it was Zinc coated it will handle anything us 4wders will throw at it as that's what we use on mine trucks and it meets there standards and we know what they go though.

We don't power coat anything any more. We had issues before and then a few years ago while looking at products made in South Africa they had also moved away from powder coating. All the 4x4 off raod trailers here are no longer powder coated. So we moved over to oil based paint with a hardener and you can hit with hammer and it not mark or chip. We don't do the painting its all done by one person who use to paint for BMW.
That is a ceramic based paint. It's used on BMW, Volvo, Merc, Lexus etc. I also have it on my patrol. lol

If it's on a trailers I would imagine there using something like LIC 40 as it's harder again. It goes over the sandblasted products not a smooth finish like ceramic based products.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts