Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I have just purchased an 88 GQ tb42 carby. As the title says the dash fuse keeps blowing and unsure as to what the causes could be. any help would be appreciated

Cheers Corey

·
Registered
Nissan
331 Posts
The dash lights fuse is the park light fuse . If you have no dash lights , you have no park lights . I would check the tow bar wiring plug first if it has one as they can give trouble . Check the 5 core wire from the plug is not under the bar where it can get stripped or chaffed when the bar hits the ground . Check the tail light bulbs , if they are double filament , make sure someone hasn't put a single filament in . Also check any after market gauges for grounded wires .

·
Registered
nissan
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey guys, thanks for the quick reply. um it not the dash lights that are going it the whole dash, no tacho, no speedo etc. um it does have an after market cd player in it. are you suggesting that it may be wired to that point and the fuse not heavy enough. the fuse that keeps blowing is the 5th one up from the bottom closest to the accelerator pedal.

·
Registered
nissan
878 Posts
Electrical drama's - excellent. Basically the easiest (easy in theory) is to get a wiring diagram, study, and then test. There is a short somewhere in the line, you cannot internet diagnose something like that.

Visually check your wiring, look for tight bends or anywhere that the cable will be earthing out, but yeah your dash loom is parkers, dash and tailights. So there is alot of wiring.

It could be something easily spotted, but it will be an easy fix (once you have found the cause)

Persistance! :)

·
Registered
nissan
32 Posts
i had this problem about 12 months ago, i also lost the electric windows and fan motor as well as the radio and dash instuments. i replaced the fuse and secured the aftermarket wiring (trailer plug and uhf wiring) and it hasnt happened since...touch wood. i put it down to too much draw on the system, at the time the fan was going flat out, the radio was on, and i was putting the windows up and adjusting mirrors....

·
Slow, Rough and Expensive
1,130 Posts
Hey mine was the dash lights (i know you said it was the whole dash, just sharing info).It was the wires for the park lights worn through at the grill shorting out on body. Good luck finding the fault.
I had the same problem with the parking light on the passenger front, had worn through at the radiator support panel and burnt out the harness for about a metre's worth of wiring taking the ignition wires with it. Might be a common fault?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.