Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all this the first post for me here after reading for a while now ,
wanna know if my 90 model gq wagon is worth keeping and turbocgarging or update to something newer , if i did update 20grand would be all i could spend .
its in great condition has under 200 thou on it but needs a clutch /tyers a bush kit (if there is such a thing) or all the rubbers replaced seperate, otherwise stock bar a snorkle and some lights , to turbo intercool the thing , hd clutch set of tyers and bushes will be around 7 grand , i figure i could get 10 for it to the right person , is it too old to spend that sort of coin on ? paid 16 for it 9 years ago and only major spend has been the pump , rebuild and aneroid fitted ready for turbo which never came , that was 40 thou k`s ago .
what could i get for 20? a 3 litre patrol with 150k`s no thanks , 2.8 , no thanks , base bodel 4.2 gu???? maybe but would it be any better ? pajero perhaps 3.2 diesel? i like em missus hates anything mitsubishi . navara ? just dunno what to do . We tow horses , bikes etc into the scrub and daily drive it ?
thanks for any suggestions

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,563 Posts
id be keeping the GQ, and spending money on it.
its a simple car, as you have said.. if you look after it, its so basic nothing can go wrong.

ive seen a few 4.2 GU's both NA and turbo go for around 18 to 25k, but all with monster KMS on the clock.

IMHO, even though you would be upgrading, the sales person or whom ever, will have the last laugh.

·
Registered
Nissan
341 Posts
Welcome to the forum, mate!

If it's genuinely under 200k, the engine has a lot of life left in it.

If there's no rust and it's all solid, the body has a lot of life in it.

If you've been happy with it for 9 years, hang onto it.

Add the turbo and stick to 11-13lbs boost. Get the injectors serviced at the same time.

Add a heavy duty clutch. Any good clutch place will build you a good, strong clutch to suit the turbo.

I wouldn't worry about intercooler personally - you will gain heaps without it. Certainly enough to tow a horse float very comfortably.

Do the suspension. Not just the bushes - if it's original, the suspension has probably sagged by now so put a set of springs under it, maybe 2" lift.

Mine had all the above done at around 230.000 and it's like having a new truck.

Probably closer to 8 grand all up but you will have a truck you know and love.

Forget about 2.8 and 3.0L if you're towing horses - or you'll find yourself hitching the horses in front to drag you home when those toy donks cr*p themselves.:D

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,563 Posts
Forget about 2.8 and 3.0L if you're towing horses - or you'll find yourself hitching the horses in front to drag you home when those toy donks cr*p themselves.:D

Classical!

on a side note, if you do wish to intercool it. check out frozenboost in the US, they do W2A intercoolers at a really good price.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
The old saying,
Better the devil you know

Just because you could ponder the thought for an perhaps upgrade,doesnt mean 6-12 months later youll be in the same situation

A GU 4.2 (you wouldnt touch anything else,especially towing horse floats around)
Will set you back your budget easy and the Ks will be more than you have on your GQ

Leave the dream time turbo stuff just fix the priority stuff
Tyres ,suspension ect

·
Registered
nissan
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pretty unanimus so far , bit more info , no deep rust at all , it was end rusted when new and it seems to have worked , only been on beach once and lives in west , k`s are geniun 198 now , we are second owner , it had 112 when we got it and it was like brand new , didn`t even have a towbar , jack never used , lighter never used not a scratch in or out , (missus and kids have changed that ) still run 31 inch tyers so maybe intcooler is not needed but will def put hair dryer on , got a great price on from mtq inc 3 inch system so i`m done the old girl stays in the family .
Might give the missus back the courier once its all done! .

·
Registered
Nissan
341 Posts
Sounds like it's worth keeping.

My DTS turbo was fitted by MTQ in Dandenong. Very professional installation - you won't go wrong.

·
Registered
nissan
275 Posts
Mate I would def keep it, you know its hisory ect. Bang the turbo on it makes it drive like a new car.

You mention your going to have to spend some money on maintaince 198ks is nothing on a td42 its only the fact is the car is 21 yrs old rubber bushings ect have a life span.

As you have already mentioned you have had the fuel pump done and set up for turbo, get the clutch done and you shouldnt be up for any more big$ maintaince for a while.

·
Registered
nissan
675 Posts
Agree with the consensus.
Tyres and suspension are after-all, just maintenance, you would pay for these in some way with a so called upgrade.

A MTQ DTS turbo is the way to go, it does feel like a new car, and you have the right donk (silver-top) to do it. Agree with injector OH as well.
Tip: ask for the GU type cast air box (at no extra cost), in case you ever decide on an intercooler in the future. Much neater too.

·
Registered
nissan
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Agree with the consensus.
Tyres and suspension are after-all, just maintenance, you would pay for these in some way with a so called upgrade.

A MTQ DTS turbo is the way to go, it does feel like a new car, and you have the right donk (silver-top) to do it. Agree with injector OH as well.
Tip: ask for the GU type cast air box (at no extra cost), in case you ever decide on an intercooler in the future. Much neater too.
They quoted me on thier dts cooler (top mount) which i thought was only gu , thought the gq one by dts was front , but anyway your spot on i will need the gu airbox if i go that way .
Injectors were done when we first got it so less than 100 thou on them but will replace anyway . when i asked for a price on them they asked me if the no 1 injector was electric?? i can`t see any wires on it but i`m not sure , do you know if it is ? apparently it changes the price a bit . Your right it does have a silver rocker cover , why is that a good thing? are the later engines different ? A freind of mine in vic has (had) a 94 model with dts system that he screwed around with and put a half a kenworth intercooler on and ran ridiculous boost and he thrashed snot out it , put it thru 2 outback challenge races plus other extreme stuff and it finally broke a rod at over 400 thou during a highway run on the way to an event. would that be the same internals as mine? pretty sure his rocker cover was black .

·
Registered
nissan
675 Posts
Yes mate the Silver- Top is a stronger engine. But you see what you have to do to a black top to brake a rod... they are still quite strong.

Re your injectors; firstly, it just dawned on me, they haven't even done 100k.
Secondly, are you getting MTQ to install? 'Cause if you are you can get a pre- installation Dyno ( for the same money) and this will show you if they need doing. They just wont do the Dyno on the same day as it would be to hot to work on, but well worth two trips, as it will give you a benchmark, and maybe save you a min. of $600 for reco injectors. In other words don't do them unless you have to.

Also please don't think you have to get an intercooler, there are thousands operating effectively without (mine included). Dollar for KW a cooler wont give you much, compared to the turbo.

BTW, great you have the pump done, and with aneroid.
Great to know your keeping her.
Let us know of your progress.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts