1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,211 Posts

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
My missus has been reading heaps of Caravan reviews lately and she's read about people buying vans that have had tare weights being 200kg heavier than what's on the plate.
Very common apparently , ball weights are another area where there are a lot of porkies told as well.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
nissan
536 Posts
On a (vaguely) related note....

Why does my leaf-rear GU Ute only have a 2500Kg Towing Capacity (with the associated 250Kg max ball weight) rather than the 3500Kg that a Coil rear* has?

* wagon at least

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
5,899 Posts
Interesting but i dont think (hmmm i know) thats quite correct. The GVM stays the same it doesn't change or get less but it includes tow ball weight though in the GVM, trailer weight towing capacity doesn't change either it is what it is stated independent of vehicle weights within GVM. Also trailer ball weights are not always 10% many vehicles now days are on a sliding scale system especially EU SUV's. I think some of our patrol wagons have this sliding scale system for towball weights in there owners manual.

Not sure domestic cars or 4x4's have a GCM as such under AUS DOT laws, thats a commercial truck heavy transport thing. It's governed by a whole host of components used and fitted on a truck from how many wheels to diff capacities to chassis type and length.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting but i dont think (hmmm i know) thats quite correct. The GVM stays the same it doesn't change or get less but it includes tow ball weight though in the GVM, trailer weight towing capacity doesn't change either it is what it is stated independent of vehicle weights within GVM. Also trailer ball weights are not always 10% many vehicles now days are on a sliding scale system especially EU SUV's. I think some of our patrol wagons have this sliding scale system for towball weights in there owners manual.

Not sure domestic cars or 4x4's have a GCM as such under AUS DOT laws, thats a commercial truck heavy transport thing. It's governed by a whole host of components used and fitted on a truck from how many wheels to diff capacities to chassis type and length.
The comment by 'Malcolm' under the article does cast some doubt on certain aspects but does back up others, this can be very complicated for the average guy to understand and as I said there were a lot caught out by the technicalities on the entrance to Teewah a few years ago. So as usual somewhere in the middle lay the truth, but to avoid being caught out people should be aware of all the possible combinations.

·
GHMBC #3
nissan patrol gq lwb,3"lift.
3,775 Posts
As Oldmav said not many cars/4×4 have a GCM as such- its more a towing capacity set by manufacturers.late 80's early 90's when RTA gave manufactures a few yrs grace period to come in line with new NCOP the tow capacity was if no GCM of tow capacity was set the default is 1.5 times manufacturers tare weight for light vehicles.With gq petrols this was 89 -92 for coil sprung,?? -93 for leaf utes.leaf utes on first rego in QLD could be upgraded to GVM of 3999kg with no mods.the gq leaf ute is registered as a commercial so tare is determined by tray type etc and gcm or tow capacity not specified (so presuming 1.5 x tare is towing capacity)trying to verify this.Ford plated the 88 on mav's with petrol engines-wagons 2800kg swb 2700kg.

Sent from my LG-K520 using Tapatalk

·
just a good guy.
2009 gu ute
8,437 Posts
On a (vaguely) related note....

Why does my leaf-rear GU Ute only have a 2500Kg Towing Capacity (with the associated 250Kg max ball weight) rather than the 3500Kg that a Coil rear* has?

* wagon at least
My leaf rear ute is 3200kg towing capacity . at least that's what's on the towbar plate.

Kerb Weight (kg)2123Width (mm)1840Gross Vehicle Mass (kg)3400Height (mm)1895Gross Combination Mass (kg)6200Wheelbase (mm)2970Payload (kg)1277Track Front (mm)1475Towing Capacity (braked) (kg)3200Track Rear (mm)1505Towing Capacity (Unbraked) (kg)750Tare Mass (kg)2123

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't know how many of you are subscribed to an electronic magazine called GoRV.com. The last few issues have been full of info on GVM, ball weights etc, worth a read if you do have it, there must be ongoing rattling of the sabre everywhere, not just QLD. A link won't work unfortunately.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Article from a free electronic article I receive. Interesting observations.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,826 Posts
Just a heads up, the 70 series cruiser can have a GVM upgrade to either: 3900KGs, 4200KGs or 4495KGs through a company called Jmacx. Very cool, only costs a couple of bucks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
nissan
2,011 Posts
Just a heads up, the 70 series cruiser can have a GVM upgrade to either: 3900KGs, 4200KGs or 4495KGs through a company called Jmacx. Very cool, only costs a couple of bucks
I hope they do something about the brakes.I have one of the dual cab POS as a daily driver and the brakes are woeful, even with my camper on the back I reckon they are underbraked, I would hate to be at full GVM with one let alone have the GVM upgraded.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,826 Posts
I hope they do something about the brakes.I have one of the dual cab POS as a daily driver and the brakes are woeful, even with my camper on the back I reckon they are underbraked, I would hate to be at full GVM with one let alone have the GVM upgraded.
Yes mate they sure do, it's a pretty impressive bit of engineering and legal all over OZ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I know there is heaps of info already out there but the amount of overloaded vans I see around here and the numbers being picked up are considerable so maybe we need to keep pushing the safety aspect of it.
This is from an electronic mag I get monthly:

·
Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
23,108 Posts
I know there is heaps of info already out there but the amount of overloaded vans I see around here and the numbers being picked up are considerable so maybe we need to keep pushing the safety aspect of it.
This is from an electronic mag I get monthly:

View attachment 516317

View attachment 516319
They should also be required to do a month long course on towing loading breaking (stopping) in a hurry, reversing and HOW too load the bloody things! :unsure:

Foo

·
Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
23,108 Posts
Well he gives pretty good advice on what too and what not too do.

Foo

·
Registered
Nissan 2006 model ute
898 Posts
What you tow should not weigh more than the vehicle towing it .some of his vids are hard to take but this one I agree with

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
And that issue has been passed aside by those that think it's their right to spend 100k on a 3.5 ton van but bauk at another 100k for the right vehicle. Then the govt and retail.industry who have decided heck we need to make them happy so we get more money, so here's your 2 ton family car that can pull 3.5 ton.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts