Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone actually keeps their roof top tents permanently on their roof racks on the truck?

I find it such a hassle to taking it on and off on my own and is wondering if its a good idea to just leave it on the roof permanently?

Im just scared that if I did this the PVC cover for the tent will dry out and wear away then letting water penetrate the cover.

Is there some sort of cheaper cover cover for the tent? I rather use a sacrificial cover than letting the original PVC cover get sun damage.

Theres a 2in lift on the GQ so getting it into the garage for a ceiling lifting mechanism isnt really an option.

What have others done in this situation about keeping the tent on the roof permanently?

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
I use a hard shell tent these days but before when I had the Ezi-awn tent I left it on the roofs for months at a time in the harsh Middle East sun. If the cover is real 'PVC' then it will last much longer...PVC has great UV protection properties but it won't last forever in perfect condition.
It wouldn't do any harm to clean the cover now and again with Armarall or similar car care products to keep it flexible/subtle.

Another option might be to get an additional (slightly larger) cover made that can fit over the top of the one you have....it would be more of a sacrificial item that you can replace at it gets worn out.
You could quickly whip it off before those camping weekends and leave it at home.

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
I have just made up a lifting frame over my driveway from a pergola to the fence with two big wooden beams.

This was so I could lift the roof top tent off to upgrade my roof rack and put the camper back by my self. But now it is there, I might keep it as a lift off storage space till I build a decent shed.

·
Registered
Nissan
532 Posts
yes i leave my hannibal on the roof and no it wont fit in the shed either, new cover is about $185 and put a new one on last year no problem.

·
Registered
nissan
377 Posts
one thing worth considering is you will use a heap more fuel getting around if you leave it up there permanently

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Mount it permantly on top of a trailer, way better setup!

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
Depends which way you look at it sim. If you do that you are affectively turning it into a camper trailer. This is what I have used and still do due to camping with the kids. I would be lying if I said I'm not looking forward to the day when the kids are gone ( in regards to the camping setup )and the missus and I can just have a rooftop tent. It will be a hell of a lot easier when negotiating those nasty narrow tracks and reversing on them for what ever reason. Especially when having to have more than one go at a challenging section of track. Not to mention parking when passing through a town on your travels. It's one less thing to break as well.
That's my 2 cents worth anyway. Still have at least 8 years to wait for that though.

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
With camper trailer, you leave it set up at the camping area then go 4x4ing.

With roof top tent it's to tippy in off camber situations, branches hit it a lot easier.

·
Registered
nissan
17 Posts
I've just gone from many years with a roof topper on the car, to putting an extra large one on a trailer... It is a pain to get to the site, but it's great one your setup...

My RTT was a cheap eBay one and the cover died without much weather exposure... But the Howling moon one the in-laws have still looks good after 10 years of good use (although not left on the car between trips)

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
I would be lying if I said I'm not looking forward to the day when the kids are gone ( in regards to the camping setup )and the missus and I can just have a rooftop tent.
Yahoo my little boy just finished year 12 exams and today had an interview for his first job.

Guess it is time to put the camper trailer up on blocks. I did my first long trip last year five weeks without kids or a trailer and just the roof top hard shell camper, it was brilliant. This wek has been the first tim without the camper on top for the last year, I don't really notice the difference without it only a little more weight up top when it is on.

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
With camper trailer, you leave it set up at the camping area then go 4x4ing.

With roof top tent it's to tippy in off camber situations, branches hit it a lot easier.
I'm talking about getting to the camping spot in the first place. If we were talking about having to plan our trip around caravan parks or easy to get to camping areas to setup before going 4WDing that would defeat the purpose for me. I also run a full length roof rack with a sensible load which would be about the same height and load as a rooftop tent which doesn't cause to many issues as long as you keep it in mind. Even after de-hitching.

Everyone to them selves I suppose.

I'm jealous geordie4x4. Enjoy

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,041 Posts
one thing worth considering is you will use a heap more fuel getting around if you leave it up there permanently
.. and don't forget the crappy top-heavy handling .. and not being able to park in the garage .. and not being able to use the roof rack to carry long stuff home from Bunnings .. etc etc.

I don't have an RTT so maybe I should shut up.

Cheers,

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
751 Posts
Mine stays on all the time it's a hard shell. Nothing worse than going for a nice drive & wanting to stay the night but you left the bed at home LOL. Mine handles like a dream on the road it acts like a big air dam & keeps it down, I also have the heavy duty swaybars front & rear with a 2" lift.

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
.. and don't forget the crappy top-heavy handling .. and not being able to park in the garage .. and not being able to use the roof rack to carry long stuff home from Bunnings .. etc etc.

I don't have an RTT so maybe I should shut up.

Cheers,
Yes maybe, but you did bring up some good points.

Im with Lightspeed I am a convert to a hard shell RTT. OK it is still a bit of weight on the roof but is well streamlined and stable at speed (OK I did a little speed test at 155 is still quite stable but I did not test fast corners at that speed).

Also it has given me an excuse to upgrade to air suspension so I can lower it to get into the driveway or carparks.

I got some 6m lengths of wood from Bunnings last week, so I just borrowed their free 6m long trailer. But I get your point.

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
I'm talking about getting to the camping spot in the first place. If we were talking about having to plan our trip around caravan parks or easy to get to camping areas to setup before going 4WDing that would defeat the purpose for me.
Same here.
Most camping spots don't have a hectic track and can be driven to in 2wd.
Going 4x4ing with trailer would annoy me too.

Reactions: Franky73

·
Premium Member
nissan
5,279 Posts
All valid points but we have digressed from the original threads purpose. It's turning into a thread about what is better a camper or roof top tent. Sorry on my behalf SiNH. It sounds like you have probably already thought of the advantages and disadvantages in suburbia of keeping it on permanently for your use, but are just worried about the cover wearing. A sacrificial cover sounds like a good idea. Just watch out for undercover parking areas and drive throughs with it on. Having a guide stick the same height as the roof top tent on the front roo bar such as a UHF aerial or an old cut off fishing rod ( whatever ) can save a bit of damage.

Happy camping

·
Registered
9,524 Posts
Same here.
Most camping spots don't have a hectic track and can be driven to in 2wd.
Going 4x4ing with trailer would annoy me too.

Ah sim,
as you get older, you do less boys weekends out and more with the missus. But soon the missus gets sick of exploring up every 4x4 track.

Then you go through the kids stage for a few years (like bloody 17years) where you need a trailer to take all the gear and set up in a comfy spot for a week at a time. Then you progress through the touring and being more adventurous with taking the family and all the crap for extended long kimberley trips.

Then they grow up and you have all this extra camping crap and a trailer sitting in the shed whilst you and the missus manage to escape for fun and kid free weekends, camping on remote beaches, mountains or where the hell ever else you want to go and just stop for the night.

THEY WILL NEVER TAKE MY FEEDOM (as long as my bed is bolted to the roof).

·
Registered
nissan
498 Posts
hmmm, double swag under the awning....means no trailor or dangerous mountaineering required to climb ladder when I've had more than a few..

·
Anger management pi$$es me off
nissan
7,539 Posts
Yeah had one for a fair while, never took it off as I cbf. Pi$$ed out of it heaps spewed in it abit and even managed to not be able to climb the ladder a time or 2.

great sleep in the breeze but a pain packing it up all the time to go for a wheel

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
I get much more street cred by leaving mine on the roof.

When I have to take it off I use this..

Its not heavy.. Just awkward.

Reactions: Bekah
1 - 20 of 32 Posts