Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found myself working on the daughters car again on the weekend :rolleyes: I replaced the light/indicator/wiper combination switch. I have pulled steering wheels off cars before, don't get me wrong, they have been pretty hard but i have never not been able to get one off before. Along came the Terios. The steering wheel would not budge. I ended up using a puller ( a first for me). It let off an all mighty bang when it released.

The old switch was faulty, the lights kept on flicking off. When I got it off I found one burnt out pin on the light plug, as all as a lot of black on the board adjacent to the switch. Looks like patrols are not the only vehicles that have high current running through the switch.

Another first for me was that it has an air bag. I honestly thought it would be a bugger to remove. Only had two screws to remove screws & disconnect two electrical plugs, easy as. The book did say to first disconnect the negative of the battery and wait for no less than 60 seconds otherwise the bag may go off. I decided to play it safe & have a coffee after I disconnected the battery.

Anyway new switch went in and all is good.

That makes it one service, one timing belt, one radiator and one switch. Hopefully all I will be doing for the next little while is servicing it only. Actually, my daughter will be servicing it next time, I will be mentoring.

Cheers,

·
Registered
nissan
187 Posts
Other way round in my family! Im the one doing all the services on them haha, My patrol, Fathers ranger, Mothers XR8 and my sisters Astra! And none of them want to learn or help me do it :(

·
Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
10,348 Posts
Thats not too bad for an almost 20yo turd burglar car. Being a daihatsu it probably wont need to much if its maintained. And if she smashes it, they're dime a dozen. Pretty good little first car actually, just watching some terios in asia on youtube, they are fairly capable for what they are. Ringing it out in 2nd gear seems to be the key technique :lol:

Good driveline for a go kart project too. With a turbo. And a roll cage. And a mirror to ensure correct tongue position.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,018 Posts
I don't service anyone's car but my own, which suits me because I'd probably crack the shytes if something isn't as easy to get to as it is on my old MK.
Dad services his own GU. Mum's cruiser is done by the local Toyo mechanic or my old man. My sister's car.... uhhh, I don't know who services that.... or if it gets serviced.

·
Registered
nissan
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't mind servicing my daughters car, I have three more kids that will eventually have their own cars. I am glad I can show them, no one showed me. I just don't enjoy doing it anymore. I do not service the wife's Subaru. I don't even know where the oil filter is, I only know where the fuel filter is because I can see it. Thats enough for me.

The Nissan is another matter. I service & repair it out of necessity - I figure the more I know about it the better off I am should something require fixing when I am nowhere near a repairer. plus it is old school, not very complex.

BTW, the daughters Terios is quite capable off road, not as good as my old Suzuki Sierra, but gee, travelling on the black-top is a bazillion times better than my old Suzi.

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts