Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I've done some searching and research but can't really find exactly what I'm looking for. So I'm hoping someone might have the answers I'm looking for.

I know there are a few members out there using King shocks and was wondering what setup they are using? I've seen King Smoothies mentioned and I'm curious to find out if people are ordering them as a custom application and specifying open and closed lengths along with the valving to suit their application or ordering what king call their OEM upgrade kit in the links below.

I'm considering going for these in the 3" - 5" lift option with adjustable compression dampening to be used with 2" flexy coils. The Patrol is used as a daily driver, weekend warrior and even plan to do some touring which is why I'm going for the compression adjustment
King Performance Front Shocks for '97 -'2010 Nissan Patrol with Adjusters
King Performance Rear Shocks for '97-'2010 Nissan Patrol with Adjusters

If anyone is using or has used this OEM upgrade kit and can provide some feedback I'd love to hear from you.

Thoughts...
Pros and Cons...

Cheers, Ian

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,462 Posts
Ian I have 4-5" King Smoothie OEM replacement units and 3" flexy coils and GU rear sway bar, no front sway bar and superior engineering superflex arms, with custom rear A frame. Took a few years to arrive at this combination.

I am as happy as a one-legged lezzo on a pogo stick.

It is very heavy, prob over 3 tonne, and for touring purposes they are fade proof. Flex is exceptional without the body roll. They handle superbly, but I do have 22mm rear coils.

The only thing I could ask for is to be a little softer over corrugations, don't know if the compression adjusters would help there. However they absorb bigger bumps beautifully. I have 80 series bump stops front and rear.

I used to have Koni 88 series, they were awesome but these are a world beyond them. You won't be disappointed, I don't know what else to tell you. Buy them!

Oh I also got them from Downsouth. Great to deal with, air freight from US in 9 days for under 2k... Why get anything else?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Leethal, great to hear.

Did you go for the compression adjusters?

How did you mount your remote reservoirs?

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,462 Posts
No mate didn't go for the compression adjusters. In retrospect I should have, maybe it would smooth out the corrugations just a little?

If you do speak to them perhaps you could do me favour and ask if I can retrofit them :) (saves me a phone call I've been meaning to make for a few months!)

Even though website says no mounting brackets, mine came with some weld-on brackets. The front ones I fitted to the top of the spring perches, but you need to wrap some heater hose around the tube where it rubs on the bracket just above exit from main shock tube. That's hard to describe but you'll see what I mean when you fit them.

I mounted the rears to the braces I have welded in to strengthen the coil towers. Another option would be to make a plate that mounts to the three bolts holding the rear of the fuel tank (just don't undo all three at once!!).

If they don't come with brackets, find some tube with an inside diametre about the same as the reservoir's outside diametre, slice a curve about half diametre and say 100mm long, and hose clamp that to the reservoir and weld to your chosen spot.

Also with the front, when out 4wding (on tracks that use your articulation, not so much general touring and corrugations) they tend to spin a bit so the main shaft has the tube outlet gradually facing the tyre. This will make the tyre rub on it at full lock, eventually will damage it. Just spin it back toward chassis every time you get out of car and she's all apples. On my last two week holiday it never happened, but a winter weekend at Collie it was a couple of times a day, so just keep itin mind.

Also be aware you should check the nitrogen pressure once or twice a year, and you can't do it with a tyre guage. Suss out who builds offroad racers (buggies etc) in your area and have a carton handy should do the trick...

Good luck Ian you'll love them if you choose to give them a go.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again Leethal. I'm going to email Down South or Filthy Motorsport and ask a few questions anyway so I'll try to remember to slip one in about the compression adjuster retrofit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Leethal, I sent off e-mails to both Filthy and Down South and both have advised that the compression adjusters can be retrofitted to the shocks.

·
Registered
nissan
136 Posts
Kings are useless unless you get them tuned to your vehicle. rohan canovan at cando automotive or aus4wd are good at tuning.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,462 Posts
Thanks very much Ian, sounds worth a go.

Nailuj for a useless shock they are pretty awesome. Good shocks must be unbelievable.

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Kings are useless unless you get them tuned to your vehicle.
Thats such a pity, if anyone wants there king shocks disposed off I'll help remove them.

Reactions: duckcommander

·
Registered
nissan
136 Posts
So how did you go Ian? Do Downsouth or Filthy motorsports do combined shipping if you buy four at a time?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi 466,

I haven't bought yet I need to have another chat to Brad at King Australia they order them to different specs and request viton seals for not much more. Plus buying local would get full support from them.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi 466,

I haven't bought yet I need to have another chat to Brad at King Australia they order them to different specs and request viton seals for not much more. Plus buying local would get full support from them.

·
Registered
nissan
136 Posts
Good point about the local support. I am making pricing enquiries with them aswell atm.

·
Registered
285 Posts
not shooting down aussie stuff but, they are almost twice the price as the US shocks, downsouth and filthy can both "customise" shocks for your needs, viton seals although they are great, do you really think you will be getting the shocks that hot? i ran my kings hard, and i mean HARD compared to most others would ever dream of and they never got more than hot. 2.0s i could get boiling hot and had one shock change colour slightly (ever so slightly) and they never leaked once. the viton seals are predominantly for high heat applications and yes like i said they are a great thing and a good seal etc but not a necessary add on in my opinion unless you plan on racing.

yes both companies do combined postage. both companies quote between $250 and $400 USD to get all 4 shocks to brisbane.

you can get both companies to get you all 4 2.5 OEM style shocks into australia for a bit over $2000 if you haggle a little and be nice.

·
Registered
nissan
136 Posts
I was quoted $2490 from Downsouth last week for the four shocks with compression adjusters shipped to brisbane. They also said Kings are behind in manufacturing atm and its a 3-4 week wait for them to receive the shocks and then they ship them.

The Armadas have got a pretty good wrap so far, but don't know if they have been on the market long enough to prove themselves..

·
Registered
nissan
136 Posts
not shooting down aussie stuff but, they are almost twice the price as the US shocks, downsouth and filthy can both "customise" shocks for your needs, viton seals although they are great, do you really think you will be getting the shocks that hot? i ran my kings hard, and i mean HARD compared to most others would ever dream of and they never got more than hot. 2.0s i could get boiling hot and had one shock change colour slightly (ever so slightly) and they never leaked once. the viton seals are predominantly for high heat applications and yes like i said they are a great thing and a good seal etc but not a necessary add on in my opinion unless you plan on racing.

yes both companies do combined postage. both companies quote between $250 and $400 USD to get all 4 shocks to brisbane.

you can get both companies to get you all 4 2.5 OEM style shocks into australia for a bit over $2000 if you haggle a little and be nice.
Was quoted $2570+gst+shipping from kings aus! That would be over 3k which is a bit ridiculous.

·
Registered
nissan
136 Posts
So my kings arrived yesterday!!!! Ended up ordering them through kings Australia. Started fitting them last night only to find that the measurements on the website which i was told was a eye/eye length is wrong. The rears won't be an issue but I have had to order flexie coils for the front as the king springs I was running will fall out. I contemplated lifting shock towers but decided I don't want to have to cut out my inner gaurds, and the longer shocks= more flex :) haha.

Ill also be fitting 80 series bumpstops or spacing the standard bumpstops around 10mm so there is abit more leeway between the shock bottoming out v.s the bumpstop hitting the diff.
Will keep you posted on performance.

The front shocks on the website were listed as 24.3inch mount to mount which would have been perfect for my old springs. The shocks are actually about 26inch mount to mount.

·
Registered
nissan
136 Posts
Sorry the website said 23.4 inches open length, which I was told was a mount/mount measurement. The shocks measure mount/mount at 26 inches. I'm not too worried as flexi coils will fix my problem but from no matter where I measure on the shock I can't get 23.4 inches so I don't know what going on there.

There installed now and all resivours mounted and it drives sooooo much nicer and there is virtually no body roll!!! It no longer feels like I'm sailing a boat. The front end feels very stiff even with the adjusters set to soft. I'm guessing this will settle within a few thousand klms. The rear feels spot on and shock length is perfect at 30 inches extended mount/mount.

The shocks bottom out just after the bumpstops hit in the front so I will be bringing the bumpstops down by 10 to 20mm so there is some leeway, as I don't want to have to raise shock towers/cut in gaurds. Haven't checked rear bumpstop/shock clearance but I'm assuming I will have to do the same.

Jamie how are the Armadas settling in?

1 - 20 of 83 Posts