Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gr td 6 intercooler
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Went to the bodyshop earlier to look at getting my chassis rails treated for rust. While inspecting underneath, the mechanic highlighted that the knuckle flanges/spheres were completely dry, he could not believe that they were not leaking and he concluded that there must be no lubication in there. The condition of the spheres themselves are rusty, scored and pitted tho the grease scaping rubber appears to be in tact with no damage to it. The mechanic said that any 4x4 that he has seen with these knuckle flanges are always shining and look well lubricated. He does not deal with alot of 4x4's and he asked me how they were lubricated and I had no idea. I noticed this when I got the vehicle first and I asked my regular mechanic if the hubs and that area needed to be greased as per Benno's advice on here and he said there was no need (typical Irish answer to a prob). I just left it at that then. The mechanic today told me to sand down the spheres with a wire brush etc and get the surface completely smooth and also to find out how to lubricate them.
Being curious, when I got home I jacked up the driver side wheel and I have a bit of play when I try to shake the wheel with my hands at the 9 and 3 o clock position and then at the 12 and 6 o clock positon, am not sure if the play is coming from the steering linkage/drag link or wheel bearings or elsewhere. I then took off two of the four bolts of the bottom cap of the flange (location of swivel bearings?) and when I probed with a piece of wire dust and dirt like brake dust came out, needless to say it was completely dry, one of the nuts was even rusted!!. Nissan serviced this vehicle about 13,000 miles ago (2.5 years ago) and its obvious they did not get too much trouble from it. The vehicle itself is driving perfect, no wobbles, strange noises, uneven tyrewear or anything plus it passed its test last December after the replacing the brake pipes because of rust and one track rod end. What should I do with these knuckle flanges? and how difficult is it to lubricate them? (GU/GR 2.8 Y61 1999)

·
bit cold out it seems
nissan
9,258 Posts
The smooth surface on the axle itself isn't such a big problem. If it is not smooth, the rubber swiper seals will not last long. But these are only here to minimise water and dust entry which contaminates the grease in the CV.

You have 2 bearings upper and lower being held in each by 4 bolts. If you support the vehicle, undo one at a time and pull them out these are your king pin bearings (knuckle swivel bearings). Clean them up, grease them and reassemble. If they are giving no issues, do not change the shim thickness. If they have a bit of slack in them, they either need replacing or thinner shims.

Do not undo both king pin bearings at the same time!

Inside the assembly you also have a CV joint which requires regreasing every so often. But if you have no axle oil leak, then it should be OK.

I would probably avoid going for a dig around in there in such an old vehicle if you have no leaks as you will probably generate one.

·
Registered
nissan patrol gr td 6 intercooler
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Yom, thanks for your reply, I am also not too keen on doing too much digging either as with my luck, I would probably create more probs than I would solve. In relation to the swivel bearings, is it just a matter of jacking up the vehicle and supporting on an axle stand, undoing the four bolts, the bearing assembly pops out? Do I need to dismantle further to clean, to grease I have moly grease is that ok and do I lightly grease or give it a good dollop of it? To reassemble, is it just a case of popping back in the assembly and re-tightening the four bolts? In other words do I need any bearing pullers or press?
I will also have a go with sanding the sphere as they are rough, I can't believe how the grease wipers have not been damaged at this stage.
With respect to the cv joint, is that also lubricated with the axle oil as well as being greased, or is it sealed from the axle oil?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts