Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

201 - 219 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
All work done the hard way
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #201 (Edited)
So previously I was inspired by other threads to do something about the apparently restrictive rocker breather setup on the TD42, especially considering the massive blow-by issue I had the first time I built my engine. I am pretty confident now that was somehow caused by the sump being full of coolant, as it isn't doing it now, but I thought I'd carry on as it is fun modifying stuff. Which is why we're all here, hey :D

The best info I found on the topic was this thread TD42 High flow breather (thanks @festerGU) and this was where I got most of the inspiration from. I don't think mine turned out quite as well, and it certainly isn't as pretty, but I reckon it'll still work. If you are going to copy someone's breather, copy his, not mine lol!

Here's what I started with. The alloy breather I had a mate make up for me at work out of some 80mm alloy pipe, and he turned up the 1" barb on a lathe and welded it all together. The wire mesh is from an old air filter and the scourers are from Woolies. The Provent I'll mention again in another post.

Left to right below: (1) rocker cover with original breather removed and new base plate (before modification), (2) modded rocker cover, home-made gasket and base plate with holes, (3) the new base plate on the modded rocker cover.
breather1.jpg breather2.jpg breather3.jpg

I could have cut more of the rocker cover away but I contented myself with only removing material where the third hole in the factory breather would be, if it was there (from the factory rubber gasket). This is just in case I ever have to change it back. I had to have a beer to steady my hand before cutting into this as I was unsure how I would do it, but in the end I ended up drilling it out in stages. This worked well until I got to a 12mm bit and the drill grabbed the thin steel and bent the sh$t out of it. Bugger. So then I had to carefully tap it as flat as I could with a hammer, cut off the sharp bits and file it to get it as smooth as I could- washing the whole thing out between the inner and outer skins with copious amounts of contact cleaner afterwards. I also used a magnet to catch the big bits of swarf, as well.
Another thing I found was that I made the holes in the new base plate too big. I only had a 30mm hole saw so I used that, but the base plate is slightly wider than the rocker cover and it's curved on the edges isn't it! so there are some slight gaps where the outside edges of the holes do not quite touch the flat bit on top of the rocker cover. I filled them in with a sh*t ton of RTV sealant on the inside. She'll be right.
I made a gasket up with gasket paper because the base plate will not sit dead flat on the rocker cover, due to the tubes the bolts go through sitting slightly higher. I could have hit them with a grinder but I didn't want any more abrasive material potentially going in between the rocker skins than was absolutely necessary.

Here is the assembled breather ready to go on:
breather4.jpg
The mesh will hold the scourers in place. I didn't cut them or break them up in any way so I am confident there aren't any loose bits that will fall through. I only opened them up by stretching them a little. They should give the oil fumes something to settle on to.

Here is the assembled breather mounted on the rocker cover, and in the engine bay.
breather5.jpg breather6.jpg

If you don't look too closely, the blue RTV sealant almost looks like a blue trim that was meant to be there to provide an interesting detail. I'll run with that theory anyway :sneaky:

The 1" hose is massive, and not that flexible in the confines of an engine bay... it will require some thought to find the shortest, straightest route to the intake from the catch can.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #202
Mounting the Provent 200 catch can.

I had to get creative (again) to find a spot for the Provent without moving a heap of other stuff. There was a beaut spot on the firewall, passenger side, but nothing to attach it to, so I decided to make a nice bracket up.

Here's the location I found- there are these two little stud things that I think probably had plastic nuts on originally, to hold the sound deadener on. Unfortunately the thread is M5 x something massive and I couldn't find any nuts to fit, so I decided to try re-threading them (had to use multigrips to turn the die). It worked.

catchcan1.jpg

I bent up a bit of flat bar and drilled some holes in the ledge above to give me something to bolt through. Here I am getting the holes all lined up before I weld it together:
catchcan2.jpg

The finished bracket, before and after paint. After I took these photos, I realised it would be better with some captive nuts for the Provent welded onto the back so I added those afterwards.
catchcan3.jpg catchcan4.jpg

Here's the bracket bolted in, without and with the Provent attached. I think it looks pretty neat!
catchcan6.jpg catchcan7.jpg

Now I just have to get a barb TIG'd onto the air intake, and I can hook it all up. (y)

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
Sweet i have mine in the same spot, fixed in place with reinforced cable ties lol
Ahh cable ties- what would we do without ‘em? My engine bay is full of them lol 😁

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
Finished the Provent installation this week, and installed my new EFS XTR shocks. Such an improvement over my flogged-out eBay shock absorbers lol.

Pics of the Provent piping below; getting it to the intake was a bit challenging, ideally I would have liked to use a pipe instead of the thick hose (to better go around the corners) but I don't have access to the technology to make that, so as always I had to make do. The hose from the "out" hole in the Provent does sit quite close to the exhaust manifold- I am glad I went to the trouble of putting the heatshield on it. Some 1" barbed 45 degree elbows would have been helpful.

For the drain from the bottom of the Provent, I ran a hose down against the firewall then between the cab and chassis, exiting behind the passenger side shock tower. It seemed like the only place with enough room to mount the valve. I can't see it getting tangled up in anything back there down the track, it is behind the tower and hard against the chassis rail. Although the red hose and valve looks flash it stood out a bit too much for me, so I have since painted it matte black and the dust will soon help it to blend in.

catchcan8.jpg catchcan9.jpg catchcan10.jpg catchcan11.jpg

To round out the week I degreased the engine bay and underneath the old girl, washed it and took it down to Queensland Transport to change the vehicle particulars. It's now registered as a NISSAN PATROL ST 4.2L TURBO, no questions asked... it was almost too easy, except my insurance company didn't feel the same way and declined to insure it :rolleyes:. Time to find another one...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Been busy looking good
Cheers mate... Getting there. Will get stuck in and have another go at the bloody tacho next week, and I've almost convinced myself that I need to get a Radiusfab panel airbox to help it breathe a bit better. Almost, because I'd really like to keep the second battery in the engine bay...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
Haha nice. I did the same thing the other day. What have you painted it with? Looks great.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Cheers man... I think it was "Pot Belly Black" heat resistant paint from the local hardware. Sort of a matte finish.

Just looking at that post made me wish I had taken a pic of the shield before I chopped into it, oh well!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
Had a win today... got the ole dash temp gauge working- all I had to do was replace the connector to the sensor. Now it works:
AEA3AA70-DD7A-444D-ADF4-3EDE818A0E83.jpeg

Now I just have the tacho to go, and it will have a fully operational dash... so satisfying.
Edit: I think it’s the sensor, after much testing I reckon it’s buggered. Will order another when I go back to work and have to spend all day in front of a computer lol

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
Sensor still has not arrived here, but I had a bit of a win the other day and got the aircon working!!! It took me a bit of research to find it, so for anyone else doing this conversion:
1. Unplug the loom from the ECU under the dash
2. Cut the wires coming from pins 15 (yellow with blue trace) and 21 (light green with black trace)
3. Join the cut wires together (the one going back up the loom, not the ones going back to the ECU). Here is my temporary join:
8826245B-738F-4262-A3FE-9B81562E26C7.jpeg
4. You now have working air-conditioning, as we have bypassed the ECU.

Thanks to Yendor for the solution.

I have noticed the aircon will now run even with only the ignition on, whereas formerly it would not. This would be a great way to drain your battery...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #213
Picked up my new cam position sensor from the post office today, swapped it out at the cost of a bit of skin off the back of my hands (not much room in there with everything else in place)... and I now have a working tacho! It doesn’t read correctly despite the SGI-8 but one step at a time I reckon.
This is why I think the old sensor wasn’t working:
3B8885D1-824D-499A-8864-67E358D91650.jpeg
Here is my tacho now, with half a boot full of revs. I don’t think it’s reading correctly:
30EE8518-F581-41FA-8355-847DC1972773.jpeg

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
Did a bit of research this morning on what the tacho should be doing at a given speed, went for a few test drives and played with the settings on the Dakota SGI-8E- and now its working correctly. The short version is, Dakota module is connected via the wire to ECU pin 5 (yellow with black trace), so it is between the ECU and the gauge. I set it to 8 in and 10 out, and at 100km/h to tacho now reads 2450 rpm, which is exactly what the calculation tells me it should be doing with my gearbox/final drive/tyre size.
For the long version, see post# 39 in this thread here Dash backlighting, speedo, tacho, temp gauge not working??.

SO I've done it. Fully operational dash, engine working well, and I look every day for an excuse to drive down to the shops! :D

Now for more "improvements"... will it ever end lol? Think I might start a new thread. 🍺

·
Registered
884 Posts
Must be satisfying to have everything working as it should. Its sure been a jourey for you. Respect to your attitude to keep at it. I know i get pretty down when unforseen hurdles throw you a curly one.
Looking forward to seeing it get dirty

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #216
Must be satisfying to have everything working as it should. Its sure been a jourey for you. Respect to your attitude to keep at it. I know i get pretty down when unforseen hurdles throw you a curly one.
Looking forward to seeing it get dirty
Cheers man, I knew it wasn’t going to be a straightforward journey- I usually set my expectations pretty low so I can at least meet them lol 😁 I’m no mechanic. Just couldn’t give up though, every bastard up here drives a Toyota and I would NEVER have heard the end of it.
As for the dirt, bring it on!!

Edit: thanks everyone who has read, liked, commented or offered advice, it has been really great to have your support. I sure needed it.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Cheers man, I knew it wasn’t going to be a straightforward journey- I usually set my expectations pretty low so I can at least meet them lol 😁 I’m no mechanic. Just couldn’t give up though, every bastard up here drives a Toyota and I would NEVER have heard the end of it.
As for the dirt, bring it on
I am the same in that im no mechanic. Just never could justify paying mechanics prices so learnt to do things my self.
But on the other hand i have a problem of setting my standards way too high for my skills. I blame 'project binky' and the likes for that.
Then spend way too long thinking about the mistakes i want to try avoid. And end up screwing it up anyway and just slap something together any how possible.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #218
I am the same in that im no mechanic. Just never could justify paying mechanics prices so learnt to do things my self.
But on the other hand i have a problem of setting my standards way too high for my skills. I blame 'project binky' and the likes for that.
Then spend way too long thinking about the mistakes i want to try avoid. And end up screwing it up anyway and just slap something together any how possible.
Ha ha if we never tried, we'd never achieve... take every win when you can!

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
1,042 Posts
As for the dirt, bring it on!!

Edit: thanks everyone who has read, liked, commented or offered advice, it has been really great to have your support. I sure needed it.
Oh man I know how you feel.

201 - 219 of 219 Posts