Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

161 - 164 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
TD42 conversion done with blood, sweat and beers
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Removed all the fruit from the motor yesterday, got timing cover off and found this.
2A85143A-89E8-4E67-8731-2B67D18405DB.jpeg CBFBFEAA-7D4B-48C8-AA50-291CE7B84054.jpeg

I have circled where the silicone is sticking out into the water stream... the alloy has corroded away at those points (it was like that before, thought it would be ok or at least enough to hold the o-ring).
I don’t know if the o-rings are stretched from the removal of the timing case or from the water, i.e. did they blow out.
On the pic of the inside of the timing cover, the RHS hole has ‘mud’ on the silicon where it should have been sealed to the backing plate.

·
Registered
nissan
58 Posts
At least this has to be a bit of a relief that's it's possibly not the head or h/g..
Or will you keep pulling it down to rule out Every possible issue?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
@Millhouse88 I’m sorta in two minds about it, I have a head gasket ready to go but compression test gave me a fair bit of reassurance that hg was ok. Not that I know a lot about these things (this is my first ever build lol). On the other hand, I could pull the head to be completely sure but that would mean injector lines off, remove manifolds, take it somewhere to get it crack tested, all new gaskets again, etc etc and i’m thinking I cbf, she’ll be right.
I do get caught out on that every now and then but sometimes I get away with it. 😁

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Haven't done much due to having to be at work, but I thought I would post an update anyway.
Ordered a new timing cover, that and some devcon on the timing cover backing plate (where it has corroded around the coolant passages to and from the pump) will remove this as the potential source of the leak. I am less and less sure that this could have been the problem though.
To that end, I have decided I will remove the head and check underneath it anyway. I did flirt with the idea of sending it away to get crack tested again but a phone call to the nearest machine shop informed me that it requires fully stripping down and a rebuild IF it is OK, to the tune of several hundred bucks. So I'll do a visual inspection and replace the gasket and see how it goes.
It did occur to me that perhaps the additional pressure from the turbo may have caused the gasket to fail, causing my problems, as I torqued the head down to factory (N/A) specs from the service manual and perhaps turbo spec for head bolts is higher? I will look into that.
Can't really do much more ATM as still waiting on all my parts to arrive, everything takes about 2 weeks to get here dammit. I'm missing the best part of the fishing season as the rivers are running again and the barra are just waiting for me up in the gulf country.

161 - 164 of 164 Posts