Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
161 - 180 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
All work done the hard way
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #161 ·
Removed all the fruit from the motor yesterday, got timing cover off and found this.
2A85143A-89E8-4E67-8731-2B67D18405DB.jpeg CBFBFEAA-7D4B-48C8-AA50-291CE7B84054.jpeg

I have circled where the silicone is sticking out into the water stream... the alloy has corroded away at those points (it was like that before, thought it would be ok or at least enough to hold the o-ring).
I don’t know if the o-rings are stretched from the removal of the timing case or from the water, i.e. did they blow out.
On the pic of the inside of the timing cover, the RHS hole has ‘mud’ on the silicon where it should have been sealed to the backing plate.

·
Registered
nissan
114 Posts
At least this has to be a bit of a relief that's it's possibly not the head or h/g..
Or will you keep pulling it down to rule out Every possible issue?

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
@Millhouse88 I’m sorta in two minds about it, I have a head gasket ready to go but compression test gave me a fair bit of reassurance that hg was ok. Not that I know a lot about these things (this is my first ever build lol). On the other hand, I could pull the head to be completely sure but that would mean injector lines off, remove manifolds, take it somewhere to get it crack tested, all new gaskets again, etc etc and i’m thinking I cbf, she’ll be right.
I do get caught out on that every now and then but sometimes I get away with it. 😁

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
Haven't done much due to having to be at work, but I thought I would post an update anyway.
Ordered a new timing cover, that and some devcon on the timing cover backing plate (where it has corroded around the coolant passages to and from the pump) will remove this as the potential source of the leak. I am less and less sure that this could have been the problem though.
To that end, I have decided I will remove the head and check underneath it anyway. I did flirt with the idea of sending it away to get crack tested again but a phone call to the nearest machine shop informed me that it requires fully stripping down and a rebuild IF it is OK, to the tune of several hundred bucks. So I'll do a visual inspection and replace the gasket and see how it goes.
It did occur to me that perhaps the additional pressure from the turbo may have caused the gasket to fail, causing my problems, as I torqued the head down to factory (N/A) specs from the service manual and perhaps turbo spec for head bolts is higher? I will look into that.
Can't really do much more ATM as still waiting on all my parts to arrive, everything takes about 2 weeks to get here dammit. I'm missing the best part of the fishing season as the rivers are running again and the barra are just waiting for me up in the gulf country.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
Both sides of the gasket were all oily, maybe it wasn’t torqued down correctly/tightly enough?
CE13AFC6-8129-4577-BDD4-64282ABA78D5.jpeg DE2173D8-6146-419B-A480-B0B3BA822729.jpeg A1ED08DC-76A2-48AB-92BE-9CAD86CEEFBE.jpeg

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
16,753 Posts
Did you use new head bolts?

·
Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
26,709 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
How many klms after the initial tightening down did it happen? Things may have changed since I last swapped out head gaskets (40yrs ago 🤣) but I needed to re-tension after 500klms. :unsure:

Foo
Hey Foo, the thing’d be lucky to have done 100km I reckon.
I’m thinking perhaps I should have used gasket goo- I was under the impression I didn’t need to on the head gasket for some reason, must have confused it with sump gasket in that regard, dammit

·
Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
26,709 Posts
I’m thinking perhaps I should have used gasket goo- I was under the impression I didn’t need to on the head gasket for some reason, must have confused it with sump gasket in that regard, dammit
Dunno about car gaskets these days but with the trucks, you can get specific gaskets that don't require goop on them, as they have a built in compression sealing thingy.

Foo

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,833 Posts
I would not use 'gasket goo' on head gasket, at worst case I have used a product known as copper coat on the head gaskets of the many race engines I built years ago, these days you shouldn't really need anything if the head is tourqued down accurately and in numerous steps.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·
Thanks for the feedback fellas, copy that I will NOT use gasket goo on the gasket... glad to know I did that part right the first time, at least.
@Jjjag2099 I definitely did the third step of the torque sequence but maybe I stuffed up in some other way, some of the head bolts were much easier to undo than others. Maybe no oil under bolt heads, I don’t specifically remember doing that.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
Well i feel like i’ve been here before...
14389BB4-82E3-4ADD-904D-29808C0E81E5.jpeg

It’s going back to the workshop, Old Mate there is being very helpful and will inspect bores/rings/clearances and rectify if his guys stuffed up on the initial install... peace of mind for me on that front anyway. I just want to be driving it, getting sick of it now 🙄
Spent all morning putting it in a box for transport

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
16,753 Posts
Better to be sure. Have to rule out all possible problems. 👍

Reactions: Foo

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #179 ·
Hey guys been a while since. I posted but thought I’d update if anyone was still interested 😁
Motor is back from the engine builder, he pulled the pistons and rings, inspected and even pressure tested the oil cooler and found a leak, despite the brand new gasket kit I’d put through it, which he fixed. Then he bolted the head on for me. The only thing he could find was that the rings hadn’t bedded in properly, which I had anticipated because I had driven it f*** all.
SO, I am reasonably confident the problem was the o-ring that let go behind the timing cover, causing the water to be pumped straight into the sump.
One new timing cover and a touch of Devcon on the backing plate later, a couple of late nights in the shed and I got to this point:
053BFD1C-8414-46CB-B465-87D79DA086D9.jpeg

And I dropped the motor back into the car this morning. Connecting everything up at the moment, fingers crossed this time it’s all good...🤞
Almost forgot, I need to make a big shout out to Ian Payne’s Automotive Engineering in Townsville, he has been fantastic to deal with and charged me NOTHING for all that rework even though it seems all his work was good in the first place. Thanks Ian.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
16,753 Posts
Great news and a nice shout out to your builder. 👍

161 - 180 of 221 Posts