Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - have done an absolute ton of research, and believe I have arrived at three options.

Koni 88's with suitable progressive springs, Koni 88's with ridepro linear springs (Patrolapart kit), or Outback Armour expedition kit W/adjustable shocks. They are all 50mm and all about same $$$. Money is not an issue, but as I don't go off-road or tour as much as my busy life allows, I don't see value in spending over $2k.

My goal is to install a lift that is actually comfortable, suitable to the weight. I've had 5 patrols over the years and am yet to find a setup that suited me, always ended up way too hard on the daily grind and fine when loaded up.

My GU4 wagon is fairly heavy at around 2.9t, and will occasionally tow a camper trailer, but is also the daily.
Everyone has an opinion - if you've had any of these combinations I would appreciate your review (especially Outback Armour being newer to market and fewer opinions online to consider).

Cheers.

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,264 Posts
I would only have adjustable shocks. In a vehicle that varies in weight, ie loaded or unloaded, and can be driving in differing conditions, ie bitumen or off-road, then to me the adjustable shock is worthwhile.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I was set on Koni (adjustable but have to take it off to do it), but I'm now leaning to the outback armour with adjustables - it seems there's not a lot of content on them but everything I've found has been positive...

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Yeah I was set on Koni (adjustable but have to take it off to do it), but I'm now leaning to the outback armour with adjustables - it seems there's not a lot of content on them but everything I've found has been positive...
I cannot comment on them either. Perhaps they are new to the market. I have only been aware of them in the last year or so.

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
801 Posts
Would you consider old man emu bp51? They are adjustable for both rebound and compression without removing the shock and 51mm.
I believe Koni are compression only, and more difficult to adjust.

Some advantages to having the ARB network for any warranty or install issues too I’d say

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Koni is rebound only so I've read. What is a BP51 worth? $645 a corner on a google. Pushes the budget a bit further than I was anticipating (could be worth it?).
The Outback Armour adjustment is for both (but as one - i.e. for both rebound and compression, but not separately). I put them in the mix as the bloke at my Opposite Lock raved over them in his own car - yes he's selling something, but I can't find any bad reviews? (Unlike the majority of other products including OME). And suddenly these guys are sponsoring Pat Callahan, All 4 Adventure etc. Meanwhile, the normal statement about Koni is "poor man pays twice (agreed)" "Never looked back" etc.

Righto. More research.

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
As far as adjustment goes, I have had a few different types of adjustable shocks Superior SRC remote res race shocks, Tough Dog big bore adjustable, but none of them have had the ride comfort of the Koni 90 that I currently have. I don't adjust them except for initial set up then just leave them alone to do their thing which the do very well.

I haven't had the newer Superior shocks or BP51 and the features of some of these are appealing being able to adjust both compression and rebound, but after having a Tough Dog blow out and having had multiple shock failures with the SRC shocks really the reliability of the very basic KONI has been the overriding factor in my decision.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
What is concerning to me about the BP51 when compared to other stuff such as Kings, Fox, Radflo etc, is there is ZERO ability to get any adjustment made to them. ARB do not have any tuning service available. You get what you get.

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
What is concerning to me about the BP51 when compared to other stuff such as Kings, Fox, Radflo etc, is there is ZERO ability to get any adjustment made to them. ARB do not have any tuning service available. You get what you get.
There had initially been a fair few reports of them leaking.

That was my problem with the early SRC shocks as well leaking around the shaft seals. They could be rebuilt but after having them back to Superior three times for leaking hoses, shaft seals and reservoir end caps in the first two years then they announced that they couldn't get parts for them anymore and had moved on to a new model with better back up service that left me with nothing.
I figured I was better off with lesser level of or no adjustability and rather reliability.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
The new dobinson remote res have 3 adjustments. High speed compression, low speed compression and rebound. I have seen any other shock other than bypass shocks that offer this.
How well they work i wouldnt have a clue but they can be pulled apart and revalved. Whether or not thats something dobinsons will do inna reasonable time frame or cost effective again is anyones guess.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Dobinson are new in comparison to other long established remote res brands. So who knows how they compare. I have not read much about them yet apart from early failures, but that was a while ago now.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Dobinson are new in comparison to other long established remote res brands. So who knows how they compare. I have not read much about them yet apart from early failures, but that was a while ago now.
They are on to their second version now so im sure they ironed out a few bugs from the first version.
But like you said, there isnt much info out there on them. But on paper they look the goods.

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
They are on to their second version now so im sure they ironed out a few bugs from the first version.
But like you said, there isnt much info out there on them. But on paper they look the goods.
That's one of the things that worried me about all the flood of new remote res adjustable shocks coming in to the market now, (over the past few years as well ) and particularly, do you really want to be the guineapig spending a lot of money on the New untested version. Like I had been burnt by jumping in too soon with the Superior remote reservoir SRC shocks, they should have been the last shocks I ever needed to purchase for the Patrol, fully rebuildable and being from a Local Australian supplier I should have been easily able to get them refurbished, upgraded etc for many years to come. But unfortunately for me they "ironed out" the bugs on that first version and decided to dump that shock in favour of a second and third version, they are no longer available for parts or service support nothing. Waste of time and a lot of money from jumping in too soon.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
fully rebuildable and being from a Local Australian supplier I should have been easily able to get them refurbished, upgraded etc for many years to come.

they are no longer available for parts or service support nothing. Waste of time and a lot of money from jumping in too soon.
Yeah there is no point advertising the fully rebuilable aspect if you wont supply parts.
This really dissapointed me with the ironman foam cell pros.
However for the price i still went with them as something for me to 'learn' on.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,520 Posts
Paul from Down South Motorsports rebuilds shocks and I think ones other than what he sells also, might be worth a call (costs you nothing) if anyone is having issues, have called in to his workshop in Brisbane a few times over the years.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I spoke to him about getting shims for the ironman after i had no luck through ironman.
He said all their shims were for imperial sized shafts so would be a no go for most aussie made shocks. I dont doubt he has played with many brands and would be a wealth of knowledge.
For a company to claim 'fully rebuildable' is near on false advertising if you cant actually buy the parts.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Yep, I am with @geordie4x4 here, also having bought a product not up to the job. Waste of money in the end. If Kings etc etc cost twice as much as another brand the question needs to be asked where the cost savings are.

Having seen a few issues with the cheaper stuff you can see how problems occur. One brand were copying Kings so closely that you could fit Kings parts in them - until Kings took legal action. I saw another bypass shock that when it was pulled apart to find out why it didn't work, the port in the shock body was about half the size of the bypass tube. No wonder it didn't work!

Good quality costs, and often the poor man just ends up paying twice.

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
I found a few different reviews:

These guys did a strip down on the BP51 but I'm finding it hard to find it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts