Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
nissan/gu
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, my wife complained about a knock in the front end of the GU last night, I lifted the car up and had a look underneath to see if anything had come loose.

A quick inspection of the Koni shock saw that the bottom neoprene bush was completly missing. Took the wheel off the other side and found that the bush was just about gone as well.

The same thing happened when they were first installed and the rubber bushes were replaced with the harder wearing bush, 2 - 3 years ago

My truck has a 2 inch lift via Koni shocks and Lovells springs.

Has anyone else had this problem and was there a fix for it as my wife and I are off across Aus in the next couple of weeks and don't need this to happen in the middle of no-where!

Thanks, Tim

·
Registered
430 Posts
The bush is replaceable. Fairly easy, should only take 1/2 an hour at the most & you don't even have to take the shock out of the car. Nothathane do a replacement bush kit, just undo the nut, push the shock up & replace the bushes.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
I wouldn't use Nolathane bushes anywhere in a 4wd. Compound is too hard and cant handle the flexing.
Super Pro bushes by Fulcrum Suspension would be a better alternative, or good rubber ones.
If they keep dissappearing maybe the the nuts have been too tight or too loose, or incorrect washers used.
The bushes from my old front Rancho shocks are 7 years old and they are still in perfect condition so I kept them for spares when I chucked the shocks.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I wouldn't use Nolathane bushes anywhere in a 4wd. Compound is too hard and cant handle the flexing.
Super Pro bushes by Fulcrum Suspension would be a better alternative, or good rubber ones.
Thats according to Super Pro, I was fed the same story by them when I was in the trade by out local Fulcrum dealer.

Personally, I have found no difference, fitted a complete Nolathane kit to my GQ & didnt notice any difference in flex or ride quality other than an improvement. Reliability was fine too. Having said that I was not after mega flex as it was just a 2" lift & yes, rubber bushes are best for flex.

I only suggested Nolathane as they are the easiest to get hold of at any Repco/Autopro or Bursons.

I am intrigued as to why the bushes have collapsed though, as with you Sudso I have never had to replace any in mine & kept the old ones & used them as exhaust hanger mounts when the rubber ones crapped.

Faulty batch perhaps?

·
Registered
Nissan
260 Posts
Nolathane's duro (hardness) is a lot softer than it used to be, most polyurethane bushes are about the same hardness these days. If you can get high quality rubber bushes use these and take some spares.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts