Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas.

I've just spent the last 3 hours reading starting issue threads on this forum and still can't figure my issue out. I have a 99 td42t gu and when its cold it will take forever to start to the point where itll drain my batterys and ill have to jump start it or clutch start it but once it is hot it starts fine. I don't think its an air in fuel system problem as the primer is always stiff and you can barely push it in one pump and when trying to start it, it let's out a lot of un-burnt diesel out the exhaust. I've tested to make sure its getting power to the glow plug bus bar and its getting 12v constantly. I was reading some other threads and to put it simply the glow relays, one powers up 12v for a certain amount of time then switches the other relay to 5v. Should this reflect at the bus bar? Because mine constantly gets 12v at the bus bar until I turn the key off and doesn't drop to 5v. I can hear the relays click on but i don't hear them click off could this be keeping the 12v? Another thing is my glow light on the dash comes on and goes out straight away no matter what temp, that fast if you blinked you wouldn't see it. I've tested my glow plugs and one I can confirm is dead, another 2 are a bit lazy and 3 are good according to my ohms readings, i read somewhere they should be close to 2 ohms at room temp. Correct me if I'm wrong.
1- 2.6ohms
2- 2.6ohms
3- dead
4- 7.5ohms
5- 7.2ohms
6- 3.4ohms
Could that be enough to make it this hard to start? I haven't gone and bought new ones yet but I will be swapping them out regardless.

What else can I check?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
1999 GU Wagon ST RD28
435 Posts
So you're obviously getting fuel if you can smell it out of the exhaust.
Which leaves compression, timing and glow plugs.
With compression, make sure your valve clearances are set right.
Timing can be tested with a dial gauge
With the glow plugs, 4 & 5 look dead to me too. I reckon you've got 2 good ones.
The way to test conclusively is to pull them out. Its a simple job. And apply 12v from the battery. Should glow within 1-2 seconds

Hope this helps

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@brianwood.

Yeah I tested them by putting oil on the tips and applying direct power and earth outside the car and the good ones take about 3-4seconds to get the oil to smoke. The others longer. I will replace them though so I'll update this thread once I've done that. In regards to timing. I got the car with an injector pump leak. (Ive owned the car for 4 days) and found the mountings nuts for the pump were loose so I tighten those up and the leak went away. I'll gernie the engine down tomorrow and see how off the marks it is. If I don't fix the starting issue by next weekend I'll do a valve set on it. .

·
Premium Member
1999 GU Wagon ST RD28
435 Posts
Well welcome to the forum anyway Joel, and keep us informed of how you go.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bump.

Can anyone tell me why my glow light doesn't come on and why I can't hear the glow relays click off.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
13,580 Posts
How good is your battery? Does it spin the engine over quickly? Diesels need a high cca battery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So to update I changed glow plugs and it starts perfect. Almost instantly but the glow plugs are still staying on at 12v. I have to unplug the plug to the bus bar to stop them. So thinking ****ty relay or glow timer?

·
Premium Member
1999 GU Wagon ST RD28
435 Posts
The relay contacts may be sticking...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts