Registered
Nissan Patrol
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day All

Need some advice re tyres please - 285/75/16
5 x Kuhmo kl78 = $1095
5 x MT ATZ = $1720

I was all set to go the Kuhmo but the tyre bloke says that they may not be the best purchase as they may fail through their life. Type of driving I do is mostly black top with occasional ventures into vic high country. Shale and rocky climbs and creek crossings are common in the high country. The odd outback trail happens too - camerons corner, innaminka etc....

I can buy almost two sets of the kuhmos for the price of 1 set of MT's but I do not want to waste my money by having sub standards tyres and then having to replace them prematurely.

I'm interested in your opinions please.
Thanks
Dave.

·
Registered
nissan
928 Posts
4 or 5 rib ATZ? If its the 4 rib i havn't had them personally but i hear good things. I payed 250 a corner recently for Kuhmo KL 77 MT. I've fairly abused them offraod and no issues at all. Dunno about the 78 tho

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
4 or 5 rib ATZ? If its the 4 rib i havn't had them personally but i hear good things. I payed 250 a corner recently for Kuhmo KL 77 MT. I've fairly abused them offraod and no issues at all. Dunno about the 78 tho
I was quoted on the 4 rib. I have had the 4 ribs on my 80 and had no issues with them at all - but are they $600 better than the Kuhmos?

Good to hear that a tyre in the same family has withstood hard use.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
G'day All

I was all set to go the Kuhmo but the tyre bloke says that they may not be the best purchase as they may fail through their life.
First off... your tyre bloke is either clarvoyant or full of Kaka and is just trying to upsell you. I consulted my crystal ball and believe its the latter. Even if you do have one failure with the Kuhmo's you are still $ in front and all 4 failing... Pffft

Second, after deciding I wanted a 4 Rib AT and doing a heap of research around Perth I went for the Kuhmo's
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/tyres-wheels-38/tyre-topic-kuhmo-kl-78-ts-57180/

Sorry Truckster didn't realise there was already a tyre topic thread in '09 on them

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Second, after deciding I wanted a 4 Rib AT and doing a heap of research around Perth I went for the Kuhmo's
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/tyres-wheels-38/tyre-topic-kuhmo-kl-78-ts-57180/
Actually, my looking at the Kuhmo is your fault! It was your post that got me moving away from the ATZ 4 Rib and saving a few dollars. I could buy these tyres, buy a new UHF radio and still buy an additional spare for the price of the ATZ's. The part I am worried about is their ability to remain intact over their life - can I borrow your crystal ball please?

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
Actually, my looking at the Kuhmo is your fault! It was your post that got me moving away from the ATZ 4 Rib and saving a few dollars.
:naughty:

... as for their ability to remain intact. I've managed to rip lugs off and/or cut up BFG's, Coopers and Procomps. Pretty much always been my fault (actually always been my fault).

Going by the guys running the Kuhmo 71's (which are an MT) they are not having any more or less trouble than the other Brands so that was good enough for me... and the Dollars I saved bought a Fridge Drop Slide at the Perth 4WD Show yesterday.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts