Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, my L28 is kicking out a fair amount of smoke at the moment and needs a rebuild, i have a spare motor but that wont be from a rebuild either. I have just been and seen a few engine rebuilders in my area and the prices they are talking (even if i do the labour) are a bit extreme for me.

I wana keep the old girl, but really want to fix the L28 up but considering going diesel!
What is invovled in a sD33 conversion and is it possilbe ( of course everything is possible nerok :) but within my capiblity)?

Cheers matt

·
Registered
nissan
275 Posts
I would think anything is possible. I would also think the cost of a complete transplant would be MUCH more expensive than sourcing another L28.

Wiring Harness
Engine & Gearbox Mounts

·
Registered
nissan
1,339 Posts
I'm pretty darn certain Shark did this conversion recently, so you might want to dig up some of his threads. Apologies if I'm mistaken!

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
your half mistaken LordBug, his was P40 to SD33.

you will need a whole donor vehicle matt, because you will need;
- engine (obviously)
- matching gearbox, because they have different bellhousing, input shaft and gearsticks
- wiring loom and its associated pieces (glow plug timer etc)
- if you get a 24volt engine, you will need a second battery tray
- different exhaust
- different length front and rear driveshafts
- diesel radiator has outlets on the opposite side
- probably more!
when you have all that stuff, its still not going to bolt in, you will need to cut off both the engine and gearbox mounts and re-weld them.

too much work in my opinion, you may as well just buy a sd33 from the start. for you, i would either source an l28, or go v8. you probably cant get v8 though, so maybe just get another l28 and keep with it until your old enough. or you could consider the ford 6 conversion that a few others are attempting, or holden v6 if you really wanted. you could also consider finding a cheap 280zx, pinch the fuel injected L28 from it and stick it in your car. then wreck the rest of the zed, make your money back. or put your worn L28 back in it and take it bush for the weekend :naughty:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Datsun-280ZX-Coupe-/320643198618?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item4aa7d2ee9a
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NISSAN-280ZX-/180615285689?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item2a0d828bb9

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
^^^ As above
Way too much to do
Best bet, be on the look out for a good running diesel SWB
Fix the few minor things it could need, then flick your old one
Or source a good 2nd hand running L28 or L26
A few members on here have found for a measly few hundred

If you had to source the parts individually,fug cost ya 1,000s and 1,000s

·
builder not a buyer!
nissan
2,702 Posts
plus you will have to fabircate new mounts on the chassis as the engine mounts on the SD33 block are alot further forward than the L28

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
You can also build a stroker out of the L28 in the shed!:D

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Offcourse! Projects are always nice to see!

But building a stroker is expensive, If I needed to do it again I woudn't do it. To much money and to much work. I can buy 4 BMW inline 6's with more power and torque for the cost of a stroker.

But hey! I've started it and going to finish it!:coffeeti:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts