Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was doing some reading on a new radiator for my 260z, then i progressed onto water pumps. found some good info. the stock L28 pump is okay. there was an LD28 engine (diesel variant) that they use the cranks from to make 3.1L strokers, turns out these engines also have a water pump that is 5mm bigger diameter and provides great results.

found that csr make a bolt on electric pump, i use one of these in my commodore and find it great.
Nissan Electric Waterpump - Water Pumps - CSR or CSR Performance 928 - CSR Billet Aluminum Electric Water Pumps - Overview - SummitRacing.com
but i was doing some reading and some people were a bit iffy on them for some reason, someone emailed CSR about there concerns and CSR rep said (quote): "Our pump is designed to be a circulation pump,it will provide very little pressure." Dont know whats wrong with this, but said person sold their pump after they got that email.

some people prefer to use a moroso universal kit, which uses a little electric motor to turn the stock pump. requires a little fab to get brackets sorted. Moroso 63750 - Moroso Electric Water Pump Drive Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

so if anyones having cooling troubles, theres a few options. with the electric pumps, you may gain back a few horsepower and will gain a bit of throttle response, all good imo :)

i also spotted some talk about thermostats, apparently the aftermarket are pretty much junk, you need to use genuine. the L series engine also like to run at a minimum of 86°C, any lower makes them run bad, so a good thermostat is vital.

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Handy hints neRoK,
But the main issues with cooling isnt necesary the water pumps
Anything thats less drain on the crank is a HP increase , but at what cost and stress to the electrics

But ya gotta love an L28 screaming its t*ts off

·
Registered
nissan patrol mk
3,306 Posts
a bit off topic, but funny that you went and bought a Z, so did I, like 3 weeks ago HAHAHA
Unfortunately I couldn't find a 240 or 260 in a price range that I liked, so I opted for the Twin Turbo 300ZX (which hammers!! SOOO MUCH FUN :) )

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im still researching, but it seems the heads do not get good cooling on L engines. even though the overall water temp coming out of the engine is at a good temp, the water gets rather stagnant through the heads, which causes spot boils within the head. people reckon this causes pinging in the L engines, because even though they have rather low compression, and you can run them on good fuel, they ping with a limited amount of timing, which hurts power. ill report back when i learn some more :)

and its a strange one, turns out im into datsuns lol, 2 out of 3 of cars are datsuns. does this make me a ricer?? haha

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
nissan gq
4,690 Posts
Main thing with the older engines is pinging and you have to resort to premium
Gotta run my XC V8 on the stuff

I dont have any issues here with my l28 pinging and i run it on cr*p fuel
There were a few different heads for the L28s , i wonder if the later had better cooling ???

As for ricers ,
I call the nissans here datsuns,the minister gets real sh*tty about that

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it was people trying to give more timing, like 38 or more total.they had done rebuilds with flat tops and the like, still reasonable compression like 10:1, but they were pinging above mid 30's. they couldnt work out way, because most engines happily take far more. turns out the problem is cooling.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts