Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long time listener, very sporadic caller.
This is my 1993 Safari.
For years I've wanted a high roof Safari and then this one came along.
It's a factory td42 turbo, factory rear diff lock, factory bull bar, factory Warn winch.
It's had a manual conversion, Patrolapart intake, snorkel, 3" exhaust, roof cage, front and rear lights.
I have done a bit of work since buying at the end of last winter. 4terrain clutch, bigger 50A alternator, new batteries, diff breathers, and a Gfb boost controller arrived today.
It's taken me on a few adventures and looking forward to a lot more.
20200108_141018.jpg

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
11,988 Posts
Very nice Patrol.

Why would anyone change a TD42 turbo automatic to manual? An auto TD42 would be ace.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
43,891 Posts
Previous owner had the auto give up on him and converted to manual.
I prefer driving manual, so that works well for me.
Me too, I have had 4 of 4x4's since 1983, all bar second last one was manual, all did a lot of hard work, I too actually prefer manual. If I was to ever sell my old GUII I would probably buy an auto to replace it, the reason for that is I'm getting old and an auto is a bit easier, but not necessarily better.

·
Registered
nissan
367 Posts
TD42 turbo and auto are a perfect match. hopefully the auto wiring and computer as still in there so a conversion if you want to go down that path later will be very simple

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Although I understand the automatic love, I quite like being able to engine-brake down our mountainous roads. I live in a small town with very little traffic, so that's not an issue.
And, the vast majority of my driving is on road,and the off-road stuff is mostly valleys with river crossings, not idling up steep rock-steps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update, rebuilt the rear calipers, and cleaned up the front brakes for our Warrant of Fitness. (A 6 monthly road-worthy certificate). Rig is stopping a lot better now.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
43,891 Posts
Although I understand the automatic love, I quite like being able to engine-brake down our mountainous roads. I live in a small town with very little traffic, so that's not an issue.
And, the vast majority of my driving is on road,and the off-road stuff is mostly valleys with river crossings, not idling up steep rock-steps.
Me three, know exactly how you feel, had my manual Trol 20 years now, the 4x4 before that was an auto, earlier 4x4's were manual, even though I often wish I had an auto when I'm stuck in traffic, when I get out on the backroads and tracks I'm very pleased with the manual.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Me three, know exactly how you feel, had my manual Trol 20 years now, the 4x4 before that was an auto, earlier 4x4's were manual, even though I often wish I had an auto when I'm stuck in traffic, when I get out on the backroads and tracks I'm very pleased with the manual.
My perspnal 4x4s have all been manuals. Our work utes are new Hiluxs, we have an auto and a manual one,
I prefer the manual in the new Hilux too. If I lived somewhere with more traffic I'd definitely look at an auto.
That's the only time I'd prefer an auto, and when attempting to drive and eat a pie at the same time.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
La Bestia cleans up alright after a wash and wax. Tried to clean up some old paint defects.
Looks like we're going to be on lockdown over here. Could be a good time to get my camping set up sussed and fix a couple of niggly things.
Good luck to you all out there, may we all return from this virus with our sanity intact. I feel the effects of this are going to run on for a long time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts