Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started building october last year. Picked up a 88 tb 42 shorty with a fair modification list and decided i wanted a td42. Ended upbuyingt a fairly clean safari shell off family friends. Found a td42t safari with gt2871with billet wheel, auto with wholesale autos extreme valve body, external wastegate locked to 25 psi and 10mm pump camplated and boost compensated. Downside was the body was absolutely hammered.

The plan was too engine and wiring loom convert out of the rough bodied safari, get roadworthy with standard suspension and diffs, and then diff and suspension swap out of the 88 shorty. build took around 6 months, with work most weekends and some weekday afternoons.

Many issues have been encountered in the build, with my biggest mistake being not extensively labelling all parts of the loom. which led to a fair few electrical faults.

Buds long arms, crossmember and dropboxes, laminated gu diff, 3 inch flexi coils and 10 fox remote reservoir shocks. Ready to go from 88 shorty

24v td42 automatic wiring loom

forklifts are the best for pulling engines, although a leaking ram ended up smashing my windscreen

engine bolted in

bought this 18 inch dual bypass transmission cooler off ebay

·
Registered
nissan
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The dilemna I faced with the wiring loom. My rushed removal ended up costing me a few hundred due to electrical faults that had me stumped. ended up having a fault on parkers circuit which was a cable clamped in the pitch and roll meter in the roof and power window switch switching the window as well as the heater box.

The two safaris

Next was the standard diff swap for rwc all standard arms 4.11 ratios. Also bolted up the larger/stronger gu steering box. Gearbox mounts where absolutely cactus replaced those with new as well as engine mounts.

Buds customs single hoop bar fitted, 22 inch ebay light bar, 1200lb tigerz 11 winch running 24v through it. Mounted transmission cooler in grille at bottom of bar has held up well so far.

getting her registered at qld transport. had a tense hour or so of inspector checking car, but it passed and gq diffs had a short life span under it.

·
Registered
nissan
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
laminated gu diffs, long arms, drop boxes, foxes, 80 series bumpstops, 3 inch flexi coils hd adjustable panhard, hd adjustable upper arms, hd lower control arms, hd draglink and tierod, fox steering dampener, raised front towers 4.11 ratios auto locked front 0.9 shimmed lsd rear all under the car took 2 days to put it in with a little bit of help. So much weight in a gu diff.

around easter time the patrol had only been on the road for a month when some lowlifes attempted to steal it, smashing the ignition barrel and damaging the steering column as they tried to break the steering lock. I was in the habit of unplugging vital plugs otherwise i would have lost it that night

After that i quickly got a decent alarm sytem and immoboliser cant recommend these precautions enough.

first trip out to cityview 4wd prk at beaudesert up the flex ramp

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,781 Posts
Nice bit of work there and good on ya for unplugging/not loosing it. I see you have the coveted sunroof. Did you know it's easily remove able?

·
Registered
nissan
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks twin otter and Ewan. Yea slide clip across at the front and it lifts right out have had it out before but installed a roof rack so it's not so useful anymore. Have a few more photos to post up tonight still haven't got it up to date. Must say my breakage list is quite impressive. At the moment it's sitting at home is blowing the 5 amp engine control fuse every time you try and turn it over, so got to sort that out. Initially it was a starter motor issue so replaced that ( ridiculously expensive over here).

·
Registered
nissan
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
took her away for my birthday up the beach at double island point for the first time. Does a great job in the sand , but they love to get hot.Had issues with oil throughout my coolant and was fearing the worst. Ended up diagnosing it as an oil cooler gasket perished.Replaced that and then new ebay radiator was leaking bad (dont advise buying 3 row ebay aluminium radiators.

Replaced if for a copper 2 row radiator and so far havent had any cooling issues. also wired up autometer egt, boost and oil pressure all in an ebay 3 gauge pillar pod. have autometer transmission temp and water temp gauges here ready to go in just got to weld bung into sump and get an adaptor to fit imperial water temp sender thread.

Treated her to a new chrome grill and a set of 33 x 12.50 federal couragias, seem like a fairly decent tyre and look tough. Finally feel as if its getting somewhere.

poser photo back at home

http://i856.photobucket.com/albums/ab122/norco-
rida/IMG_31221_zps71b8f9cc.jpg

Cut the story abit short, breakage list includes freewheel hub, transmission hose which blew 8 liters of fluid all over my street, driverside gu spindle, collapsed wheel bearing, oil cooler gaskets, 1 radiator losing about 20 litres of fluid. due for a rear main seal soon as well.

Blew the transmission house and ran the fluid dry shut it off as soon as i noticed, dropped the pan and put new filter seal and fluid. There was barely anything on the magnet in the pan and the oil was clean as it had been changed 4000 kms ago. filter wasnt noticeably clogged. anyway put new fluid in and since then dont have 1st or overdrive. Any transmission gurus here? have checked all plugs to gear box and contact cleaned as well as cleaning the plugs underneath the shifter which where considerably corroded on the pins. All to no avail. Your thoughts are greatly apreciated if i cant sort it out will have to find a reputable transmission place in brisbane which may be hard.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts