Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Ive been doing some work to my GQ and Ive come across a dilemma. I want more 'flex' so to speak out of my front end and am not sure what to do.

Suspension is 4" coils with 30mm spacers, OME long travel shocks, welded caster plates, No sway bars extended brake lines/breathers and heavy duty rear control arms.

While I can get heaps of movement from the rear end, the front just stays rigid. When I lift the car on a hoist, the front end has heaps of droop, so I cant see anything binding, but when angled, not much happens. The car does drive great on the road, and is confortable off road, I just want to get the front end working more.

Thanks in advance, John.

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
fit up your rear swaybar for starters , if that isnt enough then slotted gu radius arm bushes helps a lot , if that isnt enough then go a superior superflex radius arm or whatever they are called , and if your still not happy go for a wizard 5 link set up

and if your still not happy go buy a yota or something and ask them

·
BATTLE AXE
nissan
1,333 Posts
It's binding up on your standard arms mate, even though you have caster pates these only re-allign the diff angles giving back (surposidly) factory flex.
You need to get some after market arms to get good flex.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's binding up on your standard arms mate, even though you have caster pates these only re-allign the diff angles giving back (surposidly) factory flex.
You need to get some after market arms to get good flex.
That is what I was thinking. I was not sure if there was a different type of bush that goes into the front arms where it bolts to the diff to give more flex, are these the bushes you are talking about ITS A FORD NOT A NISSAN?

·
BATTLE AXE
nissan
1,333 Posts
Yeah thats what he is talking about, they come out of a GU and press staight in. I run them in my front arms (2deXtreame) and they work quite well but i tend to kill them fairly quickly - tear them out.
I don't think them alone will give you the flex your chaseing - really think you need new arms mate.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dont get me wrong, I dont want stupid flex or anything, I just want to get a bit more so I can try to keep the front wheels on the ground out in the bush.

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
the cheapest way out is fitting the gu slotted bushes and fitting the rear swaybar back in , it is all i have and i recon it flexes pretty well ....................... for a patrol anyway

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you have the factory sway bar disconnect? Mine has it but with the lift it is too short and the ends of the sway bar are bout 45 degrees off parallel. I really should extend the links.

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
How much does this help? I don't have a rear sway bar at all but have always wanted to give it a go
i think it helps heaps , the rear is plenty flexy , even with the swaybar fitted , you just want to transfer some of that flex to the front and the swaybar does help achieve that

·
Registered
nissan
502 Posts
just curious would you be able to post a pic of the patrol agian but with the back wheels on the tyre stack(maybe add another tyre) see if you can force the front to twist.
suited arms will be best but you should atleast get more than that!! are the springs Heavy Duty items?

·
Registered
nissan
502 Posts
just curious would you be able to post a pic of the patrol agian but with the back wheels on the tyre stack(maybe add another tyre) see if you can force the front to twist.
suited arms will be best but you should atleast get more than that!! are the springs Heavy Duty items?

also try putting a wheel under the back right tyre that should get the front moving a bit.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

That is with the rear end loaded up. In these pics I have the tyre hitting the rear edge of the wheel arch, so I didnt go any higher.

The rear springs are fairly soft, the fronts are slightly stiffer to cope with the weight hanging off the front of it, but it is all softer than the 3" lift I used to have.

Im heading out to Toolangi today, so I will see what happens in real world conditions.

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
How much does this help? I don't have a rear sway bar at all but have always wanted to give it a go
It makes big difference, it makes the rear end stiffer which forces the front to flex more, it also makes the front and rear work together in harmoney.

The rear springs are fairly soft,
This is your problem fit the stiffest rate rear coils you can get or fit a rear sway bar, I have done both.

My rear end is unloaded here and isn't really flexing, only the front is flexing, I do have superior superflex arms but they didn't start working untill I fitted the stiffest rate rear coils that I could find, but to get most flex I had to fit a rear swaybar.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts