Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Apologies if I’m going over old ground here, but really need help as my mechanic is stumped, and I’m concerned I may have huge bill ...😔😢

As you can see from the title, my car is taking an inordinate amount of time to accelerate away from a standing start. At the same time it’s puking out white smoke that positively stinks. Below I’ve included the text I got from the mechanic I’m using. Apparently he’s stumped...

“Checked all vacuum pipes. All vacuum solioids. Removed turbo waste gate is ok. With waste gate vacuum disconnected engine revs up ok. With the vacuum connected engin misses when revved up”

I’d really appreciate it if someone could help!!

ps Merry Christmas from Blighty!

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,915 Posts
White smoke is associated with unburned fuel, this maybe caused by a holed piston, so no compression and no power, the best way to find out what is going on is either a compression test or preferably a leakdown test, this will answer many questions. Just confirm we are talking ZD30 here aren't we? They don't have a waste gate.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Might be worth mentioning that when stationary the engine seems to rev perfectly ok. It only plays up when you start moving..?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When it started showing the issues mentioned, it was quite intermittent. It seemed fine for a lot of the time. If it were a cracked piston, would it not be constant? Also, it sat on my drive for 8 months with occasional periods just ticking over to charge up the battery whist I sorted out the body/interior. Could that be a contributing factor?

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,915 Posts
When it started showing the issues mentioned, it was quite intermittent. It seemed fine for a lot of the time. If it were a cracked piston, would it not be constant? Also, it sat on my drive for 8 months with occasional periods just ticking over to charge up the battery whist I sorted out the body/interior. Could that be a contributing factor?
OK this is where we need the info all in one hit. I would still get the 'mechanic' to at least do a compression check, coolant can also cause white smoke, leaking injectors can cause white smoke, there are a number of reasons it can happen, check out this section in the DI Archives where 2 papers on smoke are stored.
I would also be looking for any codes in the ECU, then deleting them and seeing which ones come back (if any), it is all about the best info we can get, we aren't there but there is more knowledge available on this forum than you will find in any workshop.

·
Registered
07 Black Patrol 3.0 / 04 Grey 3.0 Patrol / 01 3.0 Patrol
1,417 Posts
Do the simple things first cause it's all you can do now.... change the MAF sensor. Change the fuel filter, change airfilter and use a good dose of injector cleaner through the tank.Now check every hose clamp around the intercooler for tightness,you would be surprised how much power you loose when even one clamp is loose.Check all hoses and clamps around fuel filter and if possible replace the primer on top of the fuel filter because these can cause terrible running problems when they go bad.

If those are all checked/changed and you still don't see any improvment then what GU2 suggests digging a little deeper.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Apparently it seems to run ok when the turbo is disconnected and the smoke stops. Done a pressure test and all’s good. I’ve put £100 of the good fuel in that’s got the additives, plus a bottle of fuel system cleaner. Also changed the maf. Before going any deeper, I’ve decided to buy a cheap aftermarket turbo to see if things improve when it’s fitted. I’m hoping it will fix the problem, but either way I’ll keep you informed.

Thanks for the help!👍

·
Registered
07 Black Patrol 3.0 / 04 Grey 3.0 Patrol / 01 3.0 Patrol
1,417 Posts
Are you sure the turbo is working properly? When you start the Patrol does the actuator arm rise to the top of it's travel to the stop screw? Also if you take off the vacuum hose going to the actuator and simply blow in to it with force does it move freely up and down??
Another quick thing to check is take the arm 'c' clip off and be careful not to loose it and move the turbo vein lever up and down by hand, is it smooth on it's travel?? You could have a sticky vein mechanisim.

Sounds like a long shot but low power could also be from a clogged CAT convertor.. there are a lot of things that could cause a low power state.A guy i knew once said his Patrol was running very sluggish especially once hot and he de-catted it and it really woke things up.

Reactions: Flyboy0902

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi All,

Unfortunately the latest news isn’t good..😕.

I’ve had a new turbo fitted (which cost a **** load!), and it’s made no difference...😥. So to date the following has been done/checked:
1) MAF replaced, 2) EGR removed and checked/cleaned, 3) Fuel filter checked, 4) When turbo vacuum hose removed, smoke seems to go, and all appears ok 5) New (recon) turbo fitted. No difference...😱😡🤬 6) Pressure tested. All good, 7) Checked vacuum solenoids. All ok, 8) Checked vacuum pipes. All good, 9) ECU codes checked. None registered.....

Is it possible that the injector pump could be bolloxed?

please help, before I torch the fecking thing....😠.

Thanks much!

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,915 Posts
Yes it could be but usually some form of code will show, bloody big job on a DI, did it last year on my 2000 GUII, do a quick test and see what happens, run a clear hose from the fuel filter outlet to the pump and start it up to check for air in the system, then run a hose from the return line out of the pump into a container and time flow over a minute, you should have around 1L/min at idle and around 1.9L/min at 2000rpm.

·
Registered
nissan
271 Posts
I know this might sound a bit strange but have you checked your exhaust for any restrictions a blocked cat or muffler or squashed pipe will cause a restriction and stop air flow in

Reactions: geeyoutoo

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks ok.. Flexipipe section seems rather corroded, but no damage. How do I check it’s function.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just collected the car from the garage that did the work so far on it. Wife followed me back (approx 12 miles). Apparently the smoke from the exhaust was minimal to start with although power not great, but seemed better than before. Once moving, car appeared relatively normal although intermittently pumped out black smoke for a few seconds. However, as soon as got back into Warwick, and slowed down it started constantly pumping out black smoke and the performance dropped right off again...? When not accelerating, the smoke seems to go away..

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,595 Posts
Black smoke normally indicates that it is injecting too much diesel or your boost levels are too low. The lack of power lends itself to not boosting enough. Did the mechanic check the 2 vacuum hoses that run under the intercooler? It is common for one of them to rub through and lower vacuum enough so that you don't get enough boost. People that don't work on ZD30 Patrols alot usually don't know that one.
Did the mechanic check boost levels whilst driving? I don't know how he "tested" the factory boost controler as there isn't a specific test for them as far as I know.
There is a quick test you can do to see if it is boost controler related. I mean quick as you only want to drive for a minute or so like this.
Follow the vacuum hose that runs across the front of the engine then along the air intake pipe to the factory boost controler which is mounted next to the airbox. Unplug this hose and plug it directly into the VNT actuator on the turbo. Be warned that you will boost up to 30psi doing this so don't use full throttle and only drive a couple of hundred meters. If the engine has power again and doesn't blow smoke you know it's the boost controler. You will probably hit limp mode. Don't worry. Just lift off the throttle and push it down again to clear it. The engine can easily handle 30psi. The turbo doesn't like it so keep the drive very short.

It is possible that it's the spill valve inside the injector pump. A load of bad fuel can easily speed up wear on it causing it to prematurely fail. Symptoms prior to it completely dieing is reduced power and lots of black smoke. I picked up a load of bad fuel last year. Those systems started within 30min of fueling up. Put some diesel power fuel treatment in. Changed fuel filter and replaced the bulk of the fuel. It ran with reduced power for the next few weeks until i did a couple of mods that required me to bleed the injection system. This pushed it over the edge and the engine didn't run from that point onwards until I replaced the IP. I know if was crap fuel that did the damage as my ICV percentage was always very high compared to more worn pumps. It dropped pretty fast after putting in the crap fuel which also had a bit of water in it. Hopefully this isn't your problem but if its not boost then the chances its the IP is pretty high.
Did the mechanic check what the ICV percentage was?
Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wombat40 may have hit the nail on the head..!!😀

I’m not sure, but I think the issue has gone?!?!

I’ve taken it for a long drive on motorways, A roads, back streets, round town etc, at speeds between 5mph and 80mph. Probably covered a good 40-50 miles. Apart from a 10 minute period at the start where it puked out smoke on the motorway once the engine warmed up, it has gone like a dream....????

Quick question.. If the turbo was leaking a little oil, could it have blown through to the exhaust, and accumulated.?

Since April until now the car hardly moved, and that mileage it did was very local, so the engine/exhaust never really warmed up. Additionally, there were several occasions where it sat on the drive just ticking over for quite a while without moving.

I’m wondering if now there’s a new turbo, combined with going on a longer drive, the accumulated deposits in the exhaust have largely blown through, and in so doing, fixed the issue.

What do you think?

·
Registered
nissan
271 Posts
How long has it been sitting and it’s not that dear to replace the exhaust

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It was sitting for about 8 months, but I think the turbo was the cause it runs like a dream now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts