Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi does anyone know if the large glow plug thing in the rear of a td42 manifold can be removed and left out without adverse effects.

I'm modifying an intake manifold and it just seems to be a restriction the way it pokes into the intake port.

Actually does anyone know what it is called and what it' does?

Thanks

Alan

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Pretty sure it's a 'intake manifold heater' for colder climates. Warms the air to a certain temp then shuts off. I'm currently building a manifold now and encounter the same query.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
426 Posts
Voltage dropping resistor for the second stage of the glow plug circuit. Mines not connected and starts like a champ. Unless your in a really cold area probably not needed.

·
Registered
nissan
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does my head in thinking about this stuff some times!

I can see how it may work as an intake heater but i cant work out how it would work as a resistor when if you unplug it the real glow plugs still work.

If it was a resistor would the power circuit for the real glow plugs run through it giving a 12v in reading and lower voltage out with that lower voltage being the resisted feed to the real glow plugs?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
426 Posts
Should have 2 glow relays. First is full voltage to the glow plugs at start up and cranking then turns off. The second relay stays on for 6 minutes supplying power to the glowplugs through the drop resistor so at a lower voltage. That's how it looks in the manual and diagrams. Not all models have this setup, it is for cold areas.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
Sorry to revive this thread, I should have my new custom manifold tomorrow and thought I better check to see what the thread size is so I can grab the right tap/die. So I undid the single large glow plug and found that the wires are all stripped out and touching so I dare say it doesn't work any way, haven't checked the fuse though(only just thought of that of that then). So I'm thinking of just unplugging from the loom! And the size of the thing is massive, it would nearly block half a port off.. Well sort off, it's half as long as a pen and about the same diameter.
I'm thinking not worrying about it.

·
Registered
nissan
2,919 Posts
Just delete it and bridge the terminals out on the harness.
This was a nissan factory fix for some cold start issues.

·
Registered
nissan
42 Posts
After glow? Intake heater? Intake Heater Thingy without an actual name?

Anyone know where to get a replacement, other than the dealer? Everything I type into Ebay just leads me to glow plugs. :confused:

·
Doing It My Way
nissan
1,774 Posts
Anyone know where to get a replacement, other than the dealer? Everything I type in bay just leads me to glow plugs. :confused:
Man....,
I spent the best part of the day a few months ago trying to get one that didn't cost about $400,
(nissan dealership) i tired all my contacts at the aftermarket suppliers Burson's, Repco, Maxi truck parts, ect , with no luck. So NGK manufacturer this part so I rang NGK Queensland with no luck so I than spoke with NGK Australia and was told that they do not carry this part nor can they order it in for me, they do not even list anything for it, even though they manufacturer it. I was told the only place to purchase this was from Nissan, by this stage i was pi$$ed off, so I linked the terminals together. ( ps.. i have not tried NIZZBITS. ) :headwall:

·
Registered
nissan
42 Posts
I figured it wasn't going to be a $36 Ebay job, unlike a set of glow plugs. Wire shielding has worn away and shorts out, I may be able to repair it.

·
Registered
nissan
4,992 Posts
I have one I'm not using but why would you need it in QLD?

Edit: meant for Boosted6..

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Yeah I doubt it's really needed. Removed the one from a mate's manifold couple of years ago when we made his manifold and no dramas and we do get fairly cold winters here with a good few - mornings. I dare say unless you get a lot of really cold starts it's hardly missed.

·
Doing It My Way
nissan
1,774 Posts
I have one I'm not using but why would you need it in QLD?

Edit: meant for Boosted6..
I'm not Sure it is needed, but I have not yet found a total fix for the "cold weather cold start , rough idle " syndrome. It's so much better but not perfect yet.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
426 Posts
Would agree with the not needed theory. Mine has been disconnected over a year now and starts fine.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Let me tell you guys a story.

My 99 blew heaps of white smoke and ran rough/missing etc on cold starts.

Replaced the glow plugs - couple of hundred bucks - no better

So I went to Berrima Diesel - full injector recon and fuel system service. $1600. A night in a motel and dinner and beers at the pub - another couple of hundred. Slightly better but not much.

More research on here. Hmm. Took the wiring harness off that manifold plug, bridged the contacts, taped it up, tucked it away. Cost nowt.

Car now starts perfectly in -6 or 7, no white smoke, no missing.

That's an awful lot of beer money I wasted....

·
Registered
nissan gu td42t
625 Posts
Let me tell you guys a story.

My 99 blew heaps of white smoke and ran rough/missing etc on cold starts.

Replaced the glow plugs - couple of hundred bucks - no better

So I went to Berrima Diesel - full injector recon and fuel system service. $1600. A night in a motel and dinner and beers at the pub - another couple of hundred. Slightly better but not much.

More research on here. Hmm. Took the wiring harness off that manifold plug, bridged the contacts, taped it up, tucked it away. Cost nowt.

Car now starts perfectly in -6 or 7, no white smoke, no missing.

That's an awful lot of beer money I wasted....

Same here mate. Mine ran like a dog every morning for ten years. Bridged the contacts, starts perfectly now.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts