Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys'
I've been around this forum for a while now and found it the best place to learn about all the various quirks of my Patrols (now on my 2nd). I think this is the first time I've actually posted something though so hopefully I'll get it right.
So here goes. I've got a 2007 model with the CRD engine which has a horrendous oil leak coming from the front of the donk somewhere. I've checked the forum and found that it's a common problem with many of these engines. My car is an ex fleet car (NSW RTA) and has close on 300,000k on it.
My question is can I swap an engine from a later model with less mileage on it? Say from a 2011 or even a 2014 model. A couple of mechanics I've spoken to have some concerns regarding any changes that Nissan may have made with computer sensors and so on and therefore a later engine may not be compatible. If I can do the swap then at the same time I'm gaining newer injectors etc etc.
Any advice will be greatly appreciated before I go spending my hard earned on something that might not work. Thanks

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,201 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Someone may come in and correct me but I would think that you would be fine for the engine swap up to 2012. The other thought is that if you can get the engine you may be able to get the ECU as well.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
Nissan
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks geeyoutoo, I'm currently considering a 2011 model engine with only 55k on it. You're right, might be a good idea to grab the ECU. Thanks again

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,220 Posts
You will have no problem with the ECU on a 2007 matching to a later motor. I have a 2007 and 2012 ECU that I've played with in my 2007, there is no dramas at all. The later ECU just has a couple of refinements and everything works without drama.

The only thing you can do, is update the injector trim codes of the new motor into the existing ECU. Although this is not really needed and doesn't cause any drama. I still haven't updated my codes with the new injectors and my fuel economy is still ok.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts