Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had noticed a bit of a noise coming from my rear diff in the ute, i pulled the centre and found that all the spider gears in the lsd had shat them selves. Ive now found that this is a fairly common issue in the 05 and 06 utes ( and possible others??) Apparantly they have smaller gears than previous models??
has anyone else had the same issue??

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,998 Posts
The real big diffs are in the GQs and real early GUs, mine is a 2000 it has the big centre. Tried to replace it with a new unit from Nissan in 2013/14 and they would only sell me the smaller unit!!! Had the old one rebuilt instead. Came up better and cheaper.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
Don't all GU utes with leaf springs have the bigger diff ?
There's 2 kinds of bigger

The bigger Diff H233 vs H260 and in the H233 there is 2 different size LSD hemispheres.

While its apart your best off putting a locker in, This fixes the problem and makes it more much stronger and betterer.

The bigger one looks like this:
IMG_3147[1].jpg

I chose a good night to be drunk in the shed playing with all my patrol bits lol

·
Registered
nissan
232 Posts
Have had the small LSD fitted to the rear axle in my GU cc ute 2001 model. before it completely was worn out I replaced it with a h260 axle from a zd30. Although there may be a little less ground clearance the stronger lsd is more to my advantage, and the 4.3 ratio helps with 35 tyres. The front axle uses the same ratio with an air-locker centre which works well offroad. I've seen a statement on this forum that the small LSD only has a useful life of 80,000 kms then it starts to breakdown like hally76 has shown.

·
Registered
nissan
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have had the small LSD fitted to the rear axle in my GU cc ute 2001 model. before it completely was worn out I replaced it with a h260 axle from a zd30. Although there may be a little less ground clearance the stronger lsd is more to my advantage, and the 4.3 ratio helps with 35 tyres. The front axle uses the same ratio with an air-locker centre which works well offroad. I've seen a statement on this forum that the small LSD only has a useful life of 80,000 kms then it starts to breakdown like hally76 has shown.

must be pretty spot on then, was at very similar KMS when it showed signs.

·
nissan
6,273 Posts
H260 LSD's are actually no bigger / stronger than the big H233 ones, clutch packs are the exact same size and shape.

Better of course than the small H233 LSD's which are inferior on all accounts haha

Hally76 just grab a second hand LSD, heaps of 4x4 shops actually bin them when they fit rear lockers, so check Ya local ARB etc.

·
GHMBC #3
nissan patrol gq lwb,3"lift.
3,788 Posts
H260 LSD's are actually no bigger / stronger than the big H233 ones, clutch packs are the exact same size and shape.
is that the same for gq leaf/drum h260's ? reason for asking is have a leafdrum h260 and bought a shim for lsd and its bigger than the shims for h233

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts

Better of course than the small H233 LSD's which are inferior on all accounts haha

Hally76 just grab a second hand LSD, heaps of 4x4 shops actually bin them when they fit rear lockers, so check Ya local ARB etc.
Well that is very interesting indeed.

So it's just the bigger gears.

Although at least you are guaranteed to get the big LSD rather than hit or miss with H233.

Cheers

Justin

·
Registered
nissan
232 Posts
Sorry to say this Jamie4800 but after reading your post that says the h260 clutches are exactly the same as the h233 ones I went to my shed and compared the clutches and found that h260's have 123mm dia clutches and the h233 has 103 mm dia clutches. Also the Ellery patrol manual says the differential torque is 157-186 Nm for h260 lsd and 108-137 Nm for h233 lsd (pge 360 in my copy of the Ellery shop manual) The ring gear carrier bearings are larger in the h260 and although the pinion bearings are the same sizes in both diffs the h260 pinion bearings are spaced further apart in the h260 which does strengthen the pinion assembly. Although the added size/weight of the h260 axle assembly may be a disadvantage to some people I find it works ok for me.

·
Registered
nissan
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Cheers Jamie, a mate is fitting a locker to a 01 ute this weekend so ill raid the bits he takes out. So if i just bolt my crown wheel to his lsd/Carrier section ill be able to put it in my original housing? Are the bearings, dimensions ect all the same?
cheers

·
Registered
4,638 Posts

So Jamie the thought I've had since getting back into a Patrol with an 01 coil cab 4.2td ute with 400k on the clock was whether it may be worth swapping in the LSD from my old 03 4.8 wagon which only had 70k on it when it got lockers. Can't afford locker really but a fresh LSD pack would be handy. Does this mean they should fit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts