Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Resident Social Democrat
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

On Sunday a mate and I went to LCMP for the first time in about 5 years (Last time was Rnd 2 2005 Tough Tracks). It was also my first trip without the Mav' (sold in 01/2007). This time I drove my GU which is essentially standard except for a 2" spring lift and a set of 305/70-16 Bighorns.

Obviously, I was cautious about the tracks that I traversed as the last time I was driving a double locked, geared, big lifted GQ with 35's!!

I'm posting this as I've seen a few threads on Outers and other forums asking about which tracks to try at LCMP. Having not been there for a few years, and with a different (tamer) vehicle, I would like to pass on my experience on that day.

When we got there (just after 0900hrs) I lowered the tures pressures to 16psi with my trusty Stauns. My mate who accompanied me with his GQ (3" lift, 33" Bighorns, front air locker) also lowered his tyres to 16psi. We started with our old faithful 'Telecom Hill' which is marked as orange (rough track) and very steep.

I must admit, I was a bit nervous not having even engaged low range in a few years!! And having 5 kids (aged 6-17) didn't help! But we hit it and the cars made it easily with no problem whatsoever! Not even any tyre slip!

With courage returned, we headed to Claw Gorge (dead set easy) and did most of the orange (rough track and very steep hills) tracks in the western side of the park and had no troubles at all.

When we headed south down Frying Pan Rd (again, easy!) and turned northeast to head back toward the office on King's Rd. We came across a sign that indicated right to the office and left to King's Rd. We elected to go left as we didn't want to go back quite yet.

Then it got interesting. We followed what we thought was King's Rd (marked green-easy driving on the map legend!) and it descended into a ravine with a right turn at the bottom and an evil upward ascent. We deduced that we had turned down the (UNMARKED!!) Cooper Corner which is orange (rough) track with a very steep extreme down and uphill section(!!) We went for a bit of a a walk and the uphill looked bad, but both cars made it out with NO PROBLEM at all! Not even any excessive wheelspin and the GQ didn't use the locker!

I must admit I was very impressed about how well my pretty well standard ZD30 GU went on the day considering I'd done no offroad in it at all and since I'd taken the Mav' up the Ho CHi Minh trail in Glasshouse in March 2006!

SO, if you have a GQ/GU with a small lift and 33" muds and SOME skill, another vehicle, recovery equipment, some intelligence and sprinkle of balls, you can do the vast majority of the tracks at LCMP!

So, go ahead, give it a go! You'll LOVE IT!!

·
Banned
1,101 Posts
Great Report!!

I am heading back up there next weekend for Mud Bulls and Music for the 4th year in a row now and keen as to explore some more tracks out there !!

Another good one to try is Timberjack Hill and follow it around to the rainforest drive, nice easy drive.

Cheers

·
Resident Social Democrat
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
YEp, we'll definitely be going up there again! 3 of the boys and the girl LOVED it! I want to head up to Elimbah and do the powerline tracks again, that was fun too!

Next time we go we'll head up to Timberjack and that rainforest run. I did that run when we went up there about 6 years ago, I had the Mav' and my wife drove the GU!

Ta Matt

·
Registered
nissan
395 Posts
Hey big blue. I was out there that weekend also. Awesome weekend. On the sunday we did a run up through the rain forest and it was nothing, although with a bit of rain it would be different. i also did cruiser canyon after that, and heaps of others. Will be back to do more soon. I was in a Maroon GU, with a motley crew sticker on the front screen

·
Resident Social Democrat
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey big blue. I was out there that weekend also. Awesome weekend. On the sunday we did a run up through the rain forest and it was nothing, although with a bit of rain it would be different. i also did cruiser canyon after that, and heaps of others. Will be back to do more soon. I was in a Maroon GU, with a motley crew sticker on the front screen
Hi OM

I was in the green GU with a gold over maroon GQ with 8 kids. We went to the pig pen and watched some drive around and I think I saw a few 'Motley Crew' stickers either there or at the start of Cruiser Canyon, in the campground.

·
Registered
223 Posts
We went to cruiser last weekend (30th) dusty as fcuk but all in all a great weekend. We had 2 trols a luxy a prado and a lifted colerado. There was bugger all people there possibly due to being the weekend before mud bulls. Did alot of driving all weekend, pretty happy with the colerado and prados efforts as they drove all the harder tracks minus the really hard sections.

Most of the tracks have chicken runs so definately recommend people try some of the red squiggly tracks marked extreme as we found them manageable or at least found you can turn around before the serious stuff. My favourite hill over the weekend was the top of New Hilux hill (in the dark) sickness. Also the claw which no no completed but a what a sick looking hill. Love to see some footage of someone doing that hill or even air locker av as there were some decent step ups on those babys.

Cheers

·
Resident Social Democrat
6,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We went to cruiser last weekend (30th) dusty as fcuk but all in all a great weekend. We had 2 trols a luxy a prado and a lifted colerado. There was bugger all people there possibly due to being the weekend before mud bulls. Did alot of driving all weekend, pretty happy with the colerado and prados efforts as they drove all the harder tracks minus the really hard sections.

Most of the tracks have chicken runs so definately recommend people try some of the red squiggly tracks marked extreme as we found them manageable or at least found you can turn around before the serious stuff. My favourite hill over the weekend was the top of New Hilux hill (in the dark) sickness. Also the claw which no no completed but a what a sick looking hill. Love to see some footage of someone doing that hill or even air locker av as there were some decent step ups on those babys.

Cheers
A definite YES to the dust!! Cleaning the inside of the car was a HUGE PITA!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts