Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a G60 that someone has installed a LD28 and 4 speed gearbox, possibly out of an MQ, anyway the engine does run at the moment. So I started to investigate why not?

#1 issue. No fuel was reaching the injectors, so I did some google searches and found out that the IP is driven by a small timing belt and tensioning arrangement from the crankshaft. In the cover that protects this belt there is a small inspection hole that allows you to both see the flat section of the belt and to get a socket or spanner onto the bottom water pump bolt. I turned the motor by hand and there was no belt movement. It needed further investigation so needed to remove the crankshaft pulley to remove the timing belt cover.

No biggy, I had pullers. Famous last thoughts. Needless to say the pulley was well and truely seized onto the crankshaft. I don’t know whether the cast steel pulley was brittle or just seized but. Yep sure enough the cast pulley broke. I did eventually get the pulley off but I have a huge problem, where do I find another???. My original prognosis was confirmed after removing the cover. Broken timing belt and the tensioner is pretty shagged as well.

After hours of google searches for these parts, I have only been able to find the belt and tensioner available from Europe. No luck with sourcing a crankshaft pulley.

So, as a last resort I decided to ask the community here if they know anywhere or anyone in Australia that would have these parts or even have an old LD28 engine laying around with the crankshaft pulley still attached.

Hoping someone can help, as I would like to get this engine running again. Otherwise I will have to scrap this engine and use something else.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,632 Posts
The Z car guys sometimes put LD28 cranks into L28 blocks to build stroker engines, so assuming the crank snout is the same size an L28 pulley might fit.
Whether the belt grooves are in the same spot, I have no idea.

·
Registered
2003 GUIII - TD27T
112 Posts
The Z car guys sometimes put LD28 cranks into L28 blocks to build stroker engines, so assuming the crank snout is the same size an L28 pulley might fit.
Whether the belt grooves are in the same spot, I have no idea.
The L28 crank pulley won't have the sprocket for the Injection pump, as it's its own separate toothed belt.

BTW, the Camshaft on the L28 and LD28 is chain driven
as it appears you were thinking the injection pump was also run off a belt for the camshaft.

This of course changed with the RD28, with 1 belt driving camshaft and pump.

be a shame to scrap the LD28 as they are a tough little motor,
cast iron head, can handle excess heat far better than it's younger alloy headed cousin, the RD28.

·
Registered
nissan
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would like to keep the LD28 but finding parts for these engines is extremely hard. I had a quote to service the injector pump $1200 +

It hard to justify that expenditure not knowing the condition of the engine.

If I have to rebuild the engine will probably cost another $3000.

There might be better options for that expenditure.

If I cannot source crank pulley then its a no go. I'm not going to pay $650 for a new one from Japan.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,632 Posts
Might be best to keep an eye out on gumtree, eBay etc for an LD, or parts to pop up.

The L28 crank pulley won't have the sprocket for the Injection pump, as it's its own separate toothed belt.

BTW, the Camshaft on the L28 and LD28 is chain driven
as it appears you were thinking the injection pump was also run off a belt for the camshaft.

This of course changed with the RD28, with 1 belt driving camshaft and pump.

be a shame to scrap the LD28 as they are a tough little motor,
cast iron head, can handle excess heat far better than it's younger alloy headed cousin, the RD28.
I was referring to the external crank pulley, harmonic balancer, that was broken during removal, not the timing chain sprocket.
I knew L28 was timing chain, assumed as much for LD.
I got curious and had a look in parts catalogues, and I see what you're saying now. IP drive is intergral from the inner portion of the crank pulley. Interesting arrangement.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts