Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone put there leaf springs over there diff for extra height i am thinking of doing it but am unsure what needs to be done any info or pics would be great

cheers mike

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why

ok are there any reasons why it is not a good idea it just seems lke a good way to get lift but if it is unsafe or anything then i won't do it it's just i have seen a few mq with this mod so just wanted to see how it is done or get any advice or tips on doing it.

cheers mike

·
Registered
441 Posts
lots of people say dont do it and then go and do 2inch springs, 2 inch blocks and shackles and end up being just as high and likely to roll! it also has to be engineered! i thin if you just want the lift to get some big rubber under your car its a good idea and theres a few little things you can do to get lots more flex comparead to a car with stiffer raised 2inch springs!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mmmm yeah got 33's but still need a couple more inches lift

a few little things huh:D what sort of things :angel:

cheers mike

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,295 Posts
do search you will find plenty
theres i big difference between a standard patrol height and a soa patrol. They do like to roll, take it from me had a few mates go over with this mod.

·
Registered
Datsun Patrol MQ 1982 RB25DE NEO
857 Posts
Best mod i ever did :victory: :punkrock: :bowdown: :cup:

There are a few tricks to do it successful. Not too high is very important. Wide offset rims to counter the gained hight. Longer shocks, pipes, propshafts etc. Leaves must be almost flat, longer shackels. Stabiliser to prevent axle tramp on rear diff. I drove the yellow one above for 12 years, 9 years with the SOA mod. Handling stays good, much softer ride and incredible articulation. It run on 33" and a worked L28 motor.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Johan, yours looks really great!!! Never seen that model before, we don't got them in Holland.

Its also the best mod I ever did!!

No problems with handling and very very good off road. Mine runs 35" and a 3.3TD

Johan, how long did you make your shackles? And why flat leaves?mine are not flat at al.
What is axle tramp? do you have a picture of your stabiliser?

I'm thinking of buying the superior enigineering drop shackles but am not sure if that will be safe to do whit soa. I now drive with the stock shackles.

@ Mike what pics or info do you need?

·
Registered
398 Posts
done mine to so i could fitt 44s on it also fitted longer shackles to. still along way of the dirt yet. i also moved the rear axle back 8" and the front one 1" so i could still open the doors. Need to make shaw that the axle brackets are welder on well especially on drivers side were diff is cast. Need to get some extra u bolts for drivers side front one extra front and one extra rear to replace the square ones. SOA mod will mean more spring tramping and you will need deep dish wheels or spacers to make the rig wider as johan said.

·
Registered
857 Posts
henkie said:
Johan, yours looks really great!!! Never seen that model before, we don't got them in Holland.

Its also the best mod I ever did!!

No problems with handling and very very good off road. Mine runs 35" and a 3.3TD

Johan, how long did you make your shackles? And why flat leaves?mine are not flat at al.
What is axle tramp? do you have a picture of your stabiliser?

I'm thinking of buying the superior enigineering drop shackles but am not sure if that will be safe to do whit soa. I now drive with the stock shackles.

@ Mike what pics or info do you need?
Leen Green Fighting Machine. Very nice. I unfortunatelly had to leave mine behind when I moved here. So as soon as I have space in the garage again... can feel that project comming on.

Flat helps with articulation up and down, arched leaves will go higher up, but not much down. Longer shackels changes the angle, making the the ride softer and even more articulation. Wider offset rims have more leaverage, more articulation.

Shackels from memory where about double the length of the original ones, hole to hole. Remember to put bridges in the front shackels otherwise you end up with a floating front end.

The lift you gain is calculated by 1/2 the shackel increase, the thickness of the leave pack, the axle and the perch hight. Because the front axle is thinner than the rear, your front perches or shackels or both needs to make up for the difference. So start with the rear perches as low as possible.

Will see if I can find a photo of my rear stabiliser. Basically a mount point welded on top if the rear diff to the right of the propshaft with a tractor toplink (easy adjustment) to the crossmember bracket behind the transfer.

Steering high bracket the most difficult... specially if you need engineering. I used rose/heim joints. Don't know if this would be allowed in Australia.

O yes, almost forgot. Still running original Nissan leaves. Just removed all the leaves at the back but the main 2 since it was not going to carry any heavy loads. If you remove the front stabiliser bar, add another 4 mm leave or increase the main 4mm leave to a 6mm (engine weight). Perfect balance and handling. :cheers:

·
Registered
Patrol 2012 ST3.0 Manual
11 Posts
Thats great info, has anyone got pictures of front perch setups? left front is 76mm and right is 94 i think, buying a set from superiour eng next week, will i just have to grind one out?

·
Registered
nissan
639 Posts
I WILL NEVER GO LEAF OVER AGAIN AS IT WAS TO DANGERS TO DRIVE

·
Registered
nissan
639 Posts
this one here was me in the process of changing it back to leaf under diff
(rear LUD and front was still LOD)

·
Registered
857 Posts
Look here for a more recent discussion with photos of the rear stabiliser.

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-mq-mk-12/soa-prop-shaft-angle-front-rear-70655/

dj_spy, I have to agree with your comments about it being dangerous to drive. From the pictures you posted, I can see quite a few problems with the build. It must have felt really unstable to drive.

If done right, it will handle as well as a standard vehicle, with slightly more body roll. You quickly get used to the slight body roll and you will appreciate the comfy ride. I must say that my old MQ SOA had a better ride than my current GQ with a 2" lift.

·
Registered
nissan
639 Posts
i reckon if i had have driven that any longer the way it was the diff would have kept going and me and the 4wd would have just sat there

·
Registered
2 Posts
do search you will find plenty
theres i big difference between a standard patrol height and a soa patrol. They do like to roll, take it from me had a few mates go over with this mod.

Obviously wider offset wheels will help with the stability of your Patrol. My Patrol is SOA 35's, dont have a problem with it rolling, (yet) still get awesome flex for leafs. I do notice when i accelerate though, it wants to swerve to the right a little. Mine is only off road use, would take a lot more to make it steer properly and make it safe.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Grave dig... Brings back memories, good ones. ;)

I am currently doing lots of mods to my MQ, some in preparation for another SOA. Problem is the Australian legislation and getting it "engineered". As I said in a post above, best mod I've ever done. But, it needs to be done right otherwise you will regret it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts