Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The front diff in my GQ was rebuilt by the previous owner. New bearings and all seals. He braced the diff as well. This was last year I think, so not many km ago.

And now the seals are leaking, as I have the telltale oil around the bottom of the CV and on the inside of the rims.

This indicates a problem to me, as they should have lasted longer than this. I have receipts for the work done.

What do you think guys?
Do these things wear quickly with hard 4wd use, or are some seals better than other to use?

I can put new seals in, but I am concerned that there may be a problem causing their short life span, such as a warped housing when the bracing was done.

Opinions?

Cheers,
Shayne

·
Registered
331 Posts
they can wear a bit if you are in water and mud often. but depending on how they braced the diff it is easy to warp the housing.put some pics op of the bracing. and i might be able to tell you more.

·
Registered
nissan
502 Posts
make sure you check that the axle dose not have a seal groove worn into it, when you change the seal

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
the seal might be in backwords? is it the seal with the circle spring? was that put on it ?
was the axle cleaned? no ruse or burrs killing it? you should get at leased 300,000 km out of it

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info.

If there are no preferred type/brand of seals, then I reckon I will just have to pull it apart and see what I find. If the axles don't slide in and out easily then I will suspect the housing.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,227 Posts
They could have damaged the seal putting axle back in and its been leaking slowly from day one. Also agree with above, welding bracing onto the diff housing incorrectly could cause it to bend.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts