Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've got a 99 gu 2.8: fair bit of fuel leaking from two injectors. Lost pretty much all power, no boost etc
Mechanic says replace the injectors How do u tell if it's not just the crush washers?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
Seeing as no answer has been forthcoming I'll venture one. How many K's on injectors? You say you have lost boost, injectors alone will not reduce boost, something else is going on here

·
Registered
274 Posts
Good day, I had a similar problem with diesel leaking from the 2nd last injector area. It turned out to be the washer and a small crack in the piping. Cheap thing to try out first before spending big money. I agree with geeyoutoo, sounds like maybe other things need looking at too.
Thanks.

·
Registered
Nissan
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea. Going to replace crush washers this weekend.
I originally pulled over as all boost had dropped, still could hear the turbo spool up but no psi reading. thought maybe an intercooler hose had come off.
That's when I saw a fair bit of diesel was coming from two of the injectors.

If you had this problem before, how did your car run while there was a leak

If it's not a 100% sealed system then boost would drop no? But am probably wrong as this is my first car and I don't know much haha

·
Registered
nissan
28 Posts
I've found a leaking injector also and have been wondering where to start. How many k's would you expect to get out of a set of injectors? I'm around 270k and as far as I know they would be the original injectors. Are crush washers like seals between the injector and the tubing?

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU iii
434 Posts
I came across a guy in the middle of nowhere a few weeks back who said he had lost all boost.

He said he had checked all hoses etc but I looked again anyway and found a 5cm split in the intercooler intake hose.

It was directly underneath in the exact middle of the hose. You have to check the whole hose not just the fittings.

I saved him a $1500 tow fee :D They had concluded their turbo impeller had shattered due to changed noise and their boss didn't want them to drive it thinking it'd kill the engine.

Scottie

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
I came across a guy in the middle of nowhere a few weeks back who said he had lost all boost.

He said he had checked all hoses etc but I looked again anyway and found a 5cm split in the intercooler intake hose.

It was directly underneath in the exact middle of the hose. You have to check the whole hose not just the fittings.

I saved him a $1500 tow fee :D They had concluded their turbo impeller had shattered due to changed noise and their boss didn't want them to drive it thinking it'd kill the engine.

Scottie
This is something we keep saying over and over, 99% of boost loss is due to a damaged hose, be it boost or vacuum as the cause. Splits and cracks have a habit of being in the places most often missed by a cursory inspection. A thorough inspection is free and can work wonders.

·
Registered
Nissan
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So I replaced the crush washers only a tiny leak. Wouldn't even say it's seeping.
Still no boost
When I push the throttle down I get a weird whine and rattle from the turbo.
No smoke so don't know if it's a blown turbo?

Oh and thoroughly checked all hoses joins. Tightened all the hose clamps etc

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
Remove the pipe from the MAF housing to the turbo, with a 12mm spanner remove the 3 bolts that hold the turbo inlet housing, this way you can see and feel into the turbo rotor. Check for damage and excess end or side float of the rotor shaft, you can also get a camera in there so you can take a pic and blow it up to carefully inspect, like below, also make sure the VNT arm moves freely, you can put a bit of tube over the VNT diaphragm inlet and suck on it this will show you whether the arm is moving freely, should have around 5-6mm movement.

my turbo2.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts