Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed a small patch of oil has appeared on the corner of my intercooler. I am thinking this could be a leaking intercooler or maybe I spilt a bit of oil on it sometime. How do I test the intercooler?

·
Registered
24 Posts
A very simple test is to remove the inter cooler from the engine, then place it on a level surface, then fill it with petrol.
If it has any cracks fuel will leak onto the floor.
I tested mine using this method.
This is also a good time to swish the fuel around so as to give the inter cooler a good clean.
I also had oil stains too but I believe it to be loose hose connections.
Another solution to remove the oil from the Intake is to fit a oil catcher.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I will try some soapy water tonight when I get home. I don't want to pull the intercooler off unless I have to. If it is leaking is it something I have to get on to straightaway or can I put if off for a bit. It looks like it might only be one core.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Thanks I will try some soapy water tonight when I get home. I don't want to pull the intercooler off unless I have to. If it is leaking is it something I have to get on to straightaway or can I put if off for a bit. It looks like it might only be one core.

Its a piece of cake to take the intercooler off, and then you can give it a real good clean and dont forget to clean the inside of the hoses and tighten the hose clamps up real tight.

Mainey88

1 - 7 of 7 Posts