Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With all this spare time I have now I was thinking of attempting to learn a new language, possibly Italian since I had plans to go there but also french as we'll be going there too. Has anyone done this before and has any recommendations for audio books or apps etc? So many options out there ranging from free to very expensive so not really sure where to start.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,237 Posts
I would actually learn Spanish if I was you, it is a language that shares many components with both French and Italian. Spanish is the second most common language in the world, spoken by over 460 million people, only second to Chinese with English a distant third.
My 2 cents worth.
I'll move this to the off topic section.

·
Registered
nissan
757 Posts
i've taken a bit of time out to have a crack at this. I'm getting fingers pointing me to the shed every time I pick the little blue case up, cause it does make a racket, especially the way I'm doing it. 😳
image.jpeg

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would actually learn Spanish if I was you, it is a language that shares many components with both French and Italian.
Interesting, I never really bothered to look up these statistics until you mentioned it. I've been learning a little bit of Arabic at work as there's a few in my workplace who speak it Fluently but it's very hard to get a gasp of, hoping other languages might be a bit easier to learn/understand sentence structure.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
12,832 Posts

·
Registered
nissan/swb gq
843 Posts
At my work we have a mix or people who speak Arabic , Indonesian , Chinese , Indian ,Spanish and more.
if you ask me they're all to bloody hard . My brain is past it's point of being able to learn a whole new language .
It's far more Fun confusing these people with the way we talk . even through they can all speak English , None can understand Australian :) .

With in my travels though . I've always just made a point to learn a few basic words for the country I'm in , Please , thanks and basic courtesies have usually been enough , the rest I just fumble my way through .

I like the suggestions above , learn and instrument .

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,237 Posts
At my work we have a mix or people who speak Arabic , Indonesian , Chinese , Indian ,Spanish and more.
if you ask me they're all to bloody hard . My brain is past it's point of being able to learn a whole new language .
It's far more Fun confusing these people with the way we talk . even through they can all speak English , None can understand Australian :) .

With in my travels though . I've always just made a point to learn a few basic words for the country I'm in , Please , thanks and basic courtesies have usually been enough , the rest I just fumble my way through .

I like the suggestions above , learn and instrument .
I have done the same when working OS, ie in my time Thailand my team had one person who spoke English which meant interpretation of meaning with somethings wasn't always correct, I always carried a diary for jobs so I started jotting down phrases and words in the back which enabled me to carry out a basic conversation with them all, took a while though.

The funny one was PNG, I worked there on an off from mid 80's to 2014 being my last trip, with a country that has something like 700+ languages with over 800 dialects, learning to speak with locals is not easy, thank God for Tok Pisin English, everyone speaks that, a good work ethic is "mipella wokim olsem mipella tok tok".

·
Every dog has his day
nissan
18,047 Posts
Not sure how English can be a distant third when almost twice as many speak English as Spanish, but don’t let the facts get in the way lol

Mandarin; 1.1 Billion
English, just shy of 1 Billion,
Spanish 4th at about 525 million.

Spanish is supposed to be one of the easier languages to learn ... I wouldn’t know I haven’t attempted it. I speak enough Thai to get me around as long as they speak slowly and not in slang but I think anywhere you go, they appreciate you’re having a go.

I chose Thai partly because we go there quite a bit, and partly because there was a Thai fella at work who was very helpful when I was learning it. I used the Pimsler e-books, but for European languages Babel seems quite popular? Might be worth checking out some reviews.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts