Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was looking at buying LED bulbs to put into the cluster, then had an idea :cool:
I recently installed LED strip lighting as rock lights and had a little left over, so decided to put some into the cluster. Just thought I'd share the results :)

The light is spread evenly across the entire cluster, looks really good.
I still need to test the dimmer though, hoping it does work as it is pretty bright at the moment.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
Holey smoke Batman. Looks good but I hope you can turn the brightness down for country driving?

Or you might be able to wire in a little switch to turn half of them off.

·
Registered
nissan
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Haha yea im hoping I can as well, my gq has the dimmer where you hold up or down on the switch, it turned the stock bulbs down quite low, i should be able to make it work with these leds.

·
Registered
nissan
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This pic is a bit clearer. I connected 5v and 7v to the cluster, and the leds did not light at all, so a bit worried the dimmer won't work properly. Does anyone know if the dimmer control unit controls the brightness via voltage or pwm? Im thinking if it only controls via voltage and doesn't dim them properly, I may be able to make a circuit board that converts voltage to pwm, then feed that to the leds.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fuel gauge just got bumped while i had it out of the cluster, it will go back to where it should be when I reinstall the cluster in the car.

·
Part of the furniture
nissan
4,563 Posts
im 99.99% sure that the factory dimmer wont work. youll need a specific 'LED' dimmer adjuster.

wouldnt work in my old bus with the LED back lite guages, had to get an after market dimmer.

·
Registered
nissan
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So the factory dimmer does work, kinda...
Basically its full brightness till im guessing 25% then goes down to dim, i.e. when set at full brightness, i hold down dim for 4 seconds, the first 3 seconds it does nothing then dims down for the last second. then hold down bright for 4 seconds, first second it goes up to full brightness then nothing for the next 3.
Ive pulled the switch apart, going to see if it is possible to modify it

·
Registered
nissan
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So can confirm that the brightness is controlled via PWM, with a capacitor on the output. I think the reason for it not changing brightness for the first 3/4 is the capacitor. Also the duty cycle range is from 100% at full brightness to about 25% which is as dim as it goes. I've attached a screenshot of the output at min brightness.
There are 2 capacitors on the board, I'm going to determine which one is on the output and remove it, see how it changes. Also going to look into seeing if it is possible to lower the min duty cycle, should just be a matter of changing a resistor.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Removed both capacitors one by one, the first one i thought most likely to affect the output made no difference when removed, the second one basically turned the circuit into a on-off switch. Damn.
So i think i might just leave it for now, set it at min brightness and she'll be sweet

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,026 Posts
you're better off wiring the dimmer through the harness before it plugs into the cluster.
although my factory dimmer works through the entire range (ie no sudden death on/off etc...)

I've replaced all T5 and T10's with CANBUS ECC LEDs

·
Registered
nissan
379 Posts
if I could get this led cluster looks.. that would be awesome. :)

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,289 Posts
Moved to diy section .
Thought this idea might serve others better there. I know, I will look into this. The dash in the old patrols is not lit all that well, I replaced my lights with led and there just not enough output

·
Registered
nissan
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Not sure what you mean gf0012? I haven't made any wiring modifications outside the cluster, its still using the factory dimmer with the factory harness. But if you say that yours works smoothly through the entire range, maybe my switch is playing up, I find the output its producing is very strange.

Thanks coils, yea i found even at max brightness it wasn't the best with the incandescent lights, it looks really good with these leds though, although maybe a little too bright.
If I was to buy a strip just for this upgrade, id probably get a 3528 led strip, won't be quite as bright as the 5050 I've used.

Edit: In fact I may redo mine with the 3528's and see how that goes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts