Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how long till we see these mini led projector clusters as a retrofit?

They are in the public transport busses here in Perth (I drive them for a living)

They work pretty good, nice light output and spreads well. Interestingly they use a halogen high beam separate.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
11,018 Posts
How is the light penetration compared to a standard halogen?
I would imagine it to not be as good, and hence the separate halogen high beam.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Terrific for urban stuff, is my guess. Although there are motorcycles available now with full LED headlights. No experience with those.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
76 Posts
What depot are you at Carlman, I also work for the buses in Perth

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,893 Posts
You probably wont see it as they don't have great high beam which is the reason for them not having high beams on most cases. Yes LED looks great but Lexus and Audi are already working on new technology to replace it as it's never really been that much of a success overseas. I think the main reason is how blinding the colour is in rain and snow have been the main complaints and distance. Low beam in good weather is fine though.

I know in the US there are guys converting there LED projectors to HID as they haven't been happy with the performance. The LED projectors and cooling sinks behind the lights are huge to so retrofitting them would be limited to only a handful of cars and would need some serious mods to make it work.

Cheers Mick

·
Registered
nissan
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the lengthy reply Mick, I had hoped you'd chime in : )

Bradsuter, I work for Transdev out of Joondalup depot, pm me mate

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,025 Posts
there are quite a few motorbike kits with LED 7" replacements (eg kuryakyn) as well as 4" drl's

personally i reckon they're a disaster waiting to happen in foggy areas as the beams are normally 6-6500k - so are acting like reflectors in fog

unless they're designed with cutoffs then most are just too broad and uncontrolled

even the 70w 7" are too uncontrolled imo

·
Registered
nissan
1,109 Posts
HIDs are bad enough lets see how many ********s blind me at night with improperly installed LEDs.

I'm all for LED lights but not retrofitted to cars that werent designed for them.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,893 Posts
The colour is what is really causing issues and even with a cut off there no good in heavy rain or fog. Most people don't realize like HID, LED requires a Projector to control the output so just like HIDs in reflectors they will blind oncoming traffic. The bonus I guess is the aftermarket H4 Led bulbs are that bad there not good enough to blind anyone yet. lol

Cheers Mick

·
Registered
nissan patrol GQ
8,025 Posts
The one I posted had 8 individual projectors and had a very sharp cutoff point
there's a few variations available - the H4 pluggable (useless) and the purpose builts by Trucklite etc which can cost up to $2k per pair

the UK (RHD) models available for landies are $1900 per pair and are variations of the trucklites

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,549 Posts
Believe a pair of trucklite leds are around $800 a pair from what ive been told, Hids would definately be a better option for a retrofit though.

Rick

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,893 Posts
That price is LHD, the RHDs are a fair bit dearer last time I priced them. I think it was closer to $1200.

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Believe a pair of trucklite leds are around $800 a pair from what ive been told,
Mine were $400 deliver from the US, haven't tried they yet but from what I have seen they aren't LHR or RHD , they are made for motorbikes.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,549 Posts
Mine were $400 deliver from the US, haven't tried they yet but from what I have seen they aren't LHR or RHD , they are made for motorbikes.

Yea someone posted a set of those on a facebook patrol group the other day, i asked if they were rhd and he said it wasnt specific. Surely they dont meet adr requirements due to this? Not that changing to led or hid is legal at all but would rather something that actually has the right markings on it.

Rick

1 - 16 of 16 Posts