Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gidday,
Decided to try fix up a couple of loose ends during the enforced slowdown.
One of which is my malfunctioning front light bar.

Charged both batteries and checked it out, was receiving 26v (24v Safari) at the light. So no issues there.

Removed it and found a bit of water inside, a crack in the perspex.
Giving it a bench test it looked like this.

One led fell to pieces whilst giving it a gentle probe, and another circuit works when you put pressure on that part of the circuit board.
Can anybody impart some electrical wisdom on me, or is this bar another consumable

·
Registered
918 Posts
Sounds like a consumable to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
But the best bit is you can’t screw it up any more.

The section that needs pressure. Will be just a dry joynt or a loose wire. Which gets a connection with pressure.
So warm the soldering iron up and just redo some. Will be easy if you have some flux you can put on the circuit boards. But if you don’t have any. Well you can’t screw it up anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gave it a nudge with some flux and the soldering iron to no avail. Have ordered a replica bar for $56 delivered.
Figured I've got a load of spare parts and LED's for the next one.
WIll pull it apart on arrival and try and figure out a way to fix this issue in the future.
A bunch of silicon sealant and a small drill hole on either end of the bar at the lowest point perhaps?

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
12,888 Posts
$56 = throwaway . I wouldn’t be pulling the new one apart, they should be factory sealed.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
$56 is likely your problem right there. As rg has indicated for that price treat it as a consumable not a fixture.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
$56 = throwaway . I wouldn’t be pulling the new one apart, they should be factory sealed.
I figured as much. the light was already on the car when I got it, so I just bought a similar one.
I realise you get what you pay for, in other parts of my life I buy quality kit first time. Mountaineering and ski touring equipment in particular are not things you want to fail when you're remote.
A light bar is something I don't need to get me from A to B. If it breaks in the field, no biggie.
I'm curious about stopping condensation in the future though. So will have a look at it when it arrives.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I disagree about cheap things not being worth fixing though. My partner drowned her stick mixer in the sink, and then put it aside for a while before attempting to use it again. She asked if i wanted to look at it before she bought a new one.
They don't cost very much, $15-$50, but I opened it up to have a look. It looked like the inside of my winch motor when I rebuilt it, a lot of corrosion. Cleaned it up, and now the thing runs again. It would've been easy enough to throw it away and buy a new one, but like this light, if you pull it apart and give it a nudge you might get a bit more life out of it.

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
2,029 Posts
I disagree about cheap things not being worth fixing though. My partner drowned her stick mixer in the sink, and then put it aside for a while before attempting to use it again. She asked if i wanted to look at it before she bought a new one.
They don't cost very much, $15-$50, but I opened it up to have a look. It looked like the inside of my winch motor when I rebuilt it, a lot of corrosion. Cleaned it up, and now the thing runs again. It would've been easy enough to throw it away and buy a new one, but like this light, if you pull it apart and give it a nudge you might get a bit more life out of it.
And you have nothing to lose by pulling it apart. Worst case it's unsalvageable, but you get to see how the piece of junk was put together, which is always interesting.

·
Registered
918 Posts
And you have nothing to lose by pulling it apart. Worst case it's unsalvageable, but you get to see how the piece of junk was put together, which is always interesting.
Yep like I said above. It stuffed now. Tinkering with it isn’t going to make it any less usable.

Just don’t drink at the same time. Done that with a play station. I’m pretty sure we never got it back together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts