1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
Need a few opinions on what lights to get on my shorty
Tossing up between a 24inch light bar or 7 inch hid spotties?
What does everyone else prefer?
Cheers
Josh

·
Registered
nissan
508 Posts
I've got lightforce hid spots and a 43" lightbar on the troll and I've got a 20" light bar and cheap halogen spots on my work ute and to be honest the hid spots on there own far, far out way the lightbar on my work ute. They work great together but if you can only afford one right now I'd go spotties first 100%

·
Registered
9,574 Posts
Hey Josh,
depends on what sort of driving you do or plan to do. I have both: a pair of Baja Stealth 20" 90W LED light bars and a set of 55W HID XGT 240 Lightforce spotties. The spotties will go further into the distance for long distance driving on flat roads. But the LED light bars put out way more light in a far better more even spread and light well out to the side of the road where the roos hide. I have them on the roof so this also makes a difference in spread and distance that they cover.

So go for light bars for wide coverage, offroad, roads with lots of bends and roos. Go for HID spotties for fast driving and far greater distance penetration but not as wide or as bright in the near to mid range.

·
Registered
nissan patrol ti v
119 Posts
I've found a nice set of HIDs are the simplest way to go. Great light coverage with a spot/spread setup, but it's all about what you want to see. The LED bars are good no question (I'm involved in the industry), but slightly different in the applications they are best suited for compared to the HID's (as noted above). Maybe even consider doing a retrofit from a halogen set of good spotlights to HID, might work out at a similar price with a better light (good lens/reflector quality etc). I've only got 35W HID inserts into my Rallye 4000s and they work really well for what they are.

·
Registered
262 Posts
As above I used a combination, on higher speed stuff where you need to see a distance infront I use my HID's, ie highway, fast dirt roads etc. In tight tracks I use the lightbar only, it has great spread and reasonable penetration perfect for twisty tracks

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,893 Posts
As others have mentioned it depends on where you drive. As much as I love light bars it's very restricted where you can use them because of the glare off road signs etc especially in the 6500K to 8000K colours they come in. If they where 4300K they would be more user friendly on roads too. Off road slow driving there great in the bush but foggy or misty areas such as the beach totally useless.

I personally rate the Narva broad beams as they have good distance and spread but the biggest benefit is they can be retrofitted to take a D2S bulb. D2S is a true HID bulb not rebased Chinese stuff you see used in sizes such as H4, H1, H3, H7, H9 etc. Yes you can buy good quality bulbs in these sizes from China but none come close. So being D2S gives you the option of running the best HID bulbs available today which is Osram. When it comes to output no other bulb stacks up and this pushes these lights to new limits when run with Osram.

Cheers Mick

·
Registered
Nissan
1,710 Posts
Im with Mick, 4300k is much better light, wonce LED technology starts to advance to making different light coulours it will be even better. also there are a big difference in HID ballasts, I recently put my 70W quality kit into my IPFs over the cheaper 55W kit it had in there and WOW what a difference, light out put has nearly doubled.

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,404 Posts
After putting Micks projectors in I'm considering taking my hid spotties off and selling them. I don't think they do anything substantial compared to the projectors... Maybe put a work light led bar there or something...

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,549 Posts
Im with Mick, 4300k is much better light, wonce LED technology starts to advance to making different light coulours it will be even better. also there are a big difference in HID ballasts, I recently put my 70W quality kit into my IPFs over the cheaper 55W kit it had in there and WOW what a difference, light out put has nearly doubled.

Dont cree already make a range of leds in different kelvin ratings? Its just a matter of lightbar manufactures to make the move from 6000-6500k down to a more usable 4300-4500k. I dont think this is gonna come anytime soon unfortunately due to how well they work now, people seem to perceive the blue tint from current hids and leds to be a desired trait.

Rick

·
Registered
nissan
2,015 Posts
HID, spot and spread combo for the high speed stuff (country roads) and Lightbar for the slow speed stuff (offroad and the twisty roads)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,893 Posts
Dont cree already make a range of leds in different kelvin ratings? Its just a matter of lightbar manufactures to make the move from 6000-6500k down to a more usable 4300-4500k. I dont think this is gonna come anytime soon unfortunately due to how well they work now, people seem to perceive the blue tint from current hids and leds to be a desired trait.

Rick
The main reason for using 6000K or 8000K is the price. Just like HID bulbs 6000K is the cheapest to make. If you ever look on ebay you will see HID kits a lot of the go from 4300K to 6000K and miss 5000K which is dearest to make.

It's like LED I have approached around 20 manufactures to build light bars at 4300K or 5000K. None want to do it because of cost and sourcing the LEDs in this colour is very hard still. At 6000K I don't believe they work that well at all it is just most have nothing to compare them too. Put up against good HID I know HID makes them look average at best. Although you are right people just assume that's what they are supposed to look like and accept it.

They reflect off everything, are useless in rain, fog or snow and on the beach with a little sea mist make them next to useless also. Off road on a clear night is there only real strong point at this colour.

If however they where designed in a 4300K not only are they brighter as 4300k is the brightest kelvin made but then they become more useable in snow, rain, and more so on the beach then before too. You also loose a lot of that blue reflection of the road signs as well.

If a manufacturer gets off the ass as does a little research and actually starts designing them in 4300K then there sales will go though the roof even at higher prices. Plus with the extra lumens at 4300K we may start to see a bit better distance too.:cool:

BTW Cree do make 4300K leds but I'm yet to see any light bars on ebay using genuine Crees. Buying genuine proper Cree leds to built a light bar would cost more then the light bars. Cree is like Philips HID bulbs about 10% of the market is genuine the rest is just fakes or poor copies at best.

Cheers Mick

·
Registered
nissan patrol
68 Posts
light bar

as i live in the outback of goombungee QLD, i bought this light bar for my little ute to test it out.

sorry about the quality, the light bar is mounted to the headrail on my little rodeo ute

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan patrol ti v
119 Posts
Vision X are doing 4300k LED lights but not in the lightbars just yet, moreso in worklights and mining application products (Ripper Mining). Either "Cree" or "Luminous" LEDs are being used.
No plans to change at this stage, attention is on higher wattage LED spotlights (50-90W single LED).
Cheers,

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,893 Posts
Baja are awesome bars and there all 5000K.

From what I've seen of rigid industries I'd be saying there 6500K as there really blue looking beside my HIDs which are 5000K.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Jeez, those US bars are expensive compared to the YumCha gear on ebay:eek:

Are they honestly THAT much better:confused:

I think I will just get some Narva 225 HIDs:D

·
Registered
Nissan 2006 model ute
1,088 Posts
No they are not that much better . I have a rigid industries light bar and an eBay one and I like the eBay one better .

1 - 20 of 25 Posts