Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

2041 - 2060 of 2084 Posts

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,042
Not a fan of the 6.5 chev Yeti, known a number of people with them and three quarters had major problems and were also lied and stuffed around by the dodgey and dishonest mob who fitted the engine.

Would never have one.

But thanks!

Reactions: Shanfari

·
Registered
nissan
11,121 Posts
You wouldnt have any more pics of how your front diff is braced. Considering doing similar. but cant quite see how its been done. is it just a bit of like 5x100 flat bar mounded to go across the front of the axle tubes? did he do anything to the short side of the tube?

·
Registered
nissan
3 Posts
Hey mate, love the build.
I'm wanting to build a fridge cage like yours, I've got SHS but what is the mesh stuff in between called?
I have no idea what to even google to find it lol

Sorry for the thread necro 😬

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
6,559 Posts
Hey mate, love the build.
I'm wanting to build a fridge cage like yours, I've got SHS but what is the mesh stuff in between called?
I have no idea what to even google to find it lol

Sorry for the thread necro 😬

It’s the same stuff that is used in fly wire security doors. Probably start there. More commonly used in rear sliding doors.

Reactions: sly13

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,046
Hi mate

It’s called ‘amplimesh’ and is also used to make shark cages for divers so your beers should be safe from sharks 👍

Only available in ally as far as I know, for steel you’d just use normal square mesh with whatever size holes you prefer.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Thanks fellas!
Anywhere that sells ally mate, you should be able to get it. Plenty of names but it's just security screen mesh or there's a smaller hole one as well. Comes in sheet size just like any plain ally so anywhere that does that should have it or can get it. Or a window and screen maker will have it but theirs is usually anodised, no drama unless you want to weld it.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,049
Well this is an old thread... easy to find since hardly anyone uses this section any more but I felt compelled to post a eulogy, so to speak.

When I bought my GU, initially I naively thought I’d buy a TD42 second hand for a thousand bucks and sell the GQ as a going concern, since I’d used its own 42 to fit to the GU. When reality demonstrated that times have moved on, and I needed not only the engine, but such things as injectors, fuel lines, spill rail, intake manifold, mounts, etc etc, I was looking at the arse end of 3 grand. Plus I’d have to find a rear bumper, and all sorts of stuff as I was stripping anything that would go in the GU.

It didn’t take much to determine I’d be better off selling the parts off it and letting it go.

I removed anything that would go on the GU, front locker, draws (I intentionally made them too short for GQ in case I bought a GU one day), roof rack, recaros, king shocks, superior gear, gigglepin highmount, etc etc.

I sold stuff that wouldn’t transfer; snorkel, braced front diff housing, twin pot calipers, air con, body and interior parts etc etc, but I procrastinated on getting rid of the carcass.

However it finally did my head in, today I dropped gearbox and unbolted rear diff (I’ll sell rear air locker as I’m not using it in GU) and got a hiab to take it for scrap.

i won’t lie, I welled up big time as it rolled down the street on a flat bed, off to be crushed for scrap.

It was a big part of my life... for a big part of my life. 17 years I think I had it.

It‘s taken me to Cape York, NT 3 times, Kimberley 4 times, Simpson Desert, Gunbarrel Hwy (proper one, not GCR), GCR 4 times come to think of it, Steep Point I think 15 times, Karijini 4 times, Rudall River, Millstream, Bilbunya Dunes in the bight, you name it, all the nasty stuff in WA’s south west, countless times, Goat Road, Cowbones, Big Bertha, etc etc back in the day when it had 5” lift and 35s. It’s taken me to the Gascoyne Dash 9 of the 10 times I’ve raced it, and an incomprehensible number of camping trips near and far.

It had twin lockers, king shocks, a twin motor gigglepin high Mount winch, triple batteries, recaro seats, a healthy TD42, custom rear bar from hell, custom draws from heaven, even a custom bourbon pump to fill coke cans with a shot from a camel back full of Kentucky nectar.

It was in issue 99 of 4WD Action, back in the day when it was tame as, compared to its later years, but had simex centipedes so looked the part.

I‘ll be honest I’m welling up a bit here, as I did when I watched it roll down the street for the last time.

Alas, we knew him well.

RIP Neville old mate, your soul lives on in the parts transferred to the GU, which is yet to cement itself in the sentimental way you always did.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,051
That is all.

Reactions: GQshayne

·
Registered
nissan
839 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
11,121 Posts
such a sad day indeed.

i was the same when i delivered my shortie to the metal death centre. almost 10 years that car had faultlessly served me. going anywhere i ever pointed it.
i like my gu but it just doesnt do it for me like the shortie did. still miss my shortie.

such a sad day indeed.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I could happen to me one day, but at this stage I just don’t see it. The old girl is still going strong at 560k, she’s had a bit of cancer cut out from time to time but nothing terminal, she’s a battler and I can’t see the day that she’d give up on me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I love my GQ because of the memories associated with it and it has robustness capability and character as well!

·
Premium Member
TD42 GQ
1,151 Posts
I could happen to me one day, but at this stage I just don’t see it. The old girl is still going strong at 560k, she’s had a bit of cancer cut out from time to time but nothing terminal, she’s a battler and I can’t see the day that she’d give up on me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I love my GQ because of the memories associated with it and it has robustness capability and character as well!
^^^ All of the above.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,059
Andrew I could have kept it going another ten years but the body was getting a bit tired. A major birthday was on the cards, but the GU came up for such a stupid price I slapped myself in disbelief.

There were dark thoughts of chopping the GQ, putting a V8 petrol in it, a set of 37” treps and calling it a toy.

But then I remembered I’d sold my simexes because I hadn’t used them for at least two years, and I’d basically grown out of that sort of stuff, so it would be for the wrong reasons and it wouldn’t get used.

Meh... I’ll always have a soft spot for the GQ; stronger chassis, stronger panels, a bit lighter, better LSD, less to break and arguably a lot meaner looking when done up.

Sure, the GU is more refined, wouldn’t say it’s any more comfortable (contrary to what everyone says) probably due to king shocks, recaro seats and superior hybrid arms giving a good geometry in the GQ.

So many ‘what if’s .....

Oh well no use sooking now, and as Mrs L asked last night, would I have been any happier seeing it go off on new adventures with a new owner? Probably not.

May have stabbed him in the driveway, behaviour generally frowned upon.

I’m hoping that after a few more mods and a few more trips, I’ll develop a soft spot for the GU instead of glaring at it like a usurper in the driveway.

It’s been to Exmouth and Coral Bay, Kalbarri, Steep Point, Karijini, Quobba and Pemberton so it’s had a good start to its new life.

Ho hum...... 😥

·
Registered
2018 Mazda BT50 Dual cab
10,496 Posts
Now that you’ve had time in the GU, would you prefer the auto or rather a manual again.
The slightly refreshed engine goes better now than before so there must be a few things you like about Nifty Mk2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2041 - 2060 of 2084 Posts