Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Firstly I've only just joined the forum but been a pretty in depth reader for quite some time and have solved many problems with the info posted here.

Anyway I have an issue and cant seem to find an answer anywhere.
As the title mentions I left my ignition on for probably 20-30mins while troubleshooting my spotlight install (found to be a faulty fuse). Had ignition on as the beeping was annoying me (I know I should've just shut the door but for some reason didn't do that).
That is all that happened, car ran fine since having the car (just over a year) and now it won't start. The engine cranks, but just wont kick over.

Ive tested the ECM relay behind the dash near the key barrel and seems to work fine.
Glow plug relay works, and have 12v going to the rail. Along with resistance on the glow plugs (to test they aren't broken) I haven't removed the glow plugs to have a look at them but feel they should be fine due to the timer.
I have cracked a couple injector fuel lines and nothing comes out after cranking a quite a few times.

Pulled codes 0403, 0703, 0707, 0905 and 1405

Ill say when I pulled the codes i had the turbo pressure sensor disconnected (0905) and after checking the next day I also had the plug disconnected going to the injector pump (cant believe it). And also the 1405 confuses me, the little flashing red light does turn off when the key is inserted.

So because i had the injector pump unplugged, I plugged everything back in and cleared the codes, tried cranking the car about 5-8 times (battery died again), checked for codes and got the 0505 (no errors).

One thing I do notice is the little pump thing above the fuel filter does become soft again after cranking or waiting about 20-30 seconds. Can't see fuel leaking anywhere so don't know where its going.

After reading through the Haynes book, I found it says not to leave ignition on foe excessive amounts of time without the engine running. But that's where it stops, I need to know why? What happens when or if you have done exactly that?

If it happens to be the injector pump then I gotta make sure 100% as that is a big and expensive job. I find it hard to believe that simply leaving the ignition on could cause any serious damage though.

Has anyone got an idea what happened?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,210 Posts
Here is a list of the major codes, as you can see 14's are in the realm of NATS, I wonder if it is worth doing a master reset for 30 minutes at the battery. If you have checked all relays and fuses there is not much more that can be a problem. You don't say what year yours is, but I know for a fact the early ones (and I also think the later DI's as well) didn't care if the MAP was disconnected, I did that in the early days of playing to see what did what and when.

·
Registered
nissan
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here is a list of the major codes, as you can see 14's are in the realm of NATS, I wonder if it is worth doing a master reset for 30 minutes at the battery. If you have checked all relays and fuses there is not much more that can be a problem. You don't say what year yours is, but I know for a fact the early ones (and I also think the later DI's as well) didn't care if the MAP was disconnected, I did that in the early days of playing to see what did what and when.
Hi geeyoutoo,
Sorry yeah it is a 2000 model so the early one. The engine was rebuilt about 45k-50k k's ago but the injector wasn't on the receipt so I imagine it wasn't touched.

All relays seem to be fine and fuses working.

I just need to know what happens when you leave the ignition on? That is all I did and now it wont start, it seems very far fetched that the injector pump would suddenly stop out of the blue.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,210 Posts
Hi geeyoutoo,
Sorry yeah it is a 2000 model so the early one. The engine was rebuilt about 45k-50k k's ago but the injector wasn't on the receipt so I imagine it wasn't touched.

All relays seem to be fine and fuses working.

I just need to know what happens when you leave the ignition on? That is all I did and now it wont start, it seems very far fetched that the injector pump would suddenly stop out of the blue.
Sorry mate I did a cut and paste of the codes and didn't add the damn things. Will add now, OK yours doesn't care whether MAP sensor is connected or not, it does very little except send engine to limp if you exceed 26-28psi boost for several seconds. If there was anything serious with the IP there would be a code. Pump Comm 0703 will prevent a startup and that can be caused by many things, lack of fuel at the primer, even a damaged or loose crank angle sensor.

0101 - CAM POS SEN (PUMP)
0102 - MAS AIR FLOW SEN
0103 - COOLANT TEMP SEN
0104 - VEHICLE SPEED SEN
0105 - CONT SLEEV POS SEN
0107 - ADJUST RESISTOR
0108 - F/INJ F/B 2
0201 - F/INJ TIMG F/B
0202 - F/INJ F/B
0203 - ACCEL POS SW (F/C)
0205 - ELECTRIC GOV
0207 - ECM 1
0208 - OVER HEAT
0301 - ECM 2
0303 - I/C INT/A TEMP SEN
0304 - NEEDLE LIFT SEN
0306 - FUEL CUT S/V 1
0307 - FCV SHORT
0308 - FUEL CUT S/V 2
0402 - FUEL TEMP SENSOR
0403 - ACCEL POS SENSOR EC-139
0406 - INT/AIR VOLUME (EXCESSIVELY HIGH SIGNAL FROM MAF SENSOR)
0407 - CRANK POS SEN (TDC) EC-144
0408 - GOV CUT CIRCUIT EC-149
0504 - A/T COMM LINE
0701 - INJ PMP - CAM POS SEN
0702 - INJ PMP - PULSE SENSOR
0703 - INJ PMP - COMM LINE
0704 - INJ PUMP - SPLILL VALVE
0705 - INJ PMP - C/MODULE
0706 - INJ PMP - TIMING FB
0707 - INJPMP - TIMING CONTROL SYSTEM
0802 - ECM 10
0804 - ECM 11
0807 - ECM 14
0902 - ECM RELAY
0903 - ECM 15
0905 - TURBO PRESSURE
1003 - EGR VOLUME CONT/V
1004 - FUEL CUT SYSTEM1
1401 - 1408 — NATS MALFUNCTION EL section

·
Registered
nissan
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, finally recharged the battery and reconnected everything and tried kicking it over 4 or so times.

Now I'm only getting code 1401, which from what I can see is the anti theft system.
I'll look into findning out more about rectifying this code and fingers crossed she starts.

The little red light does stop blinking when I turn the key so it does seem strange.

·
Registered
nissan
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No second key, but i have a genuine key. It really doesn't sound like the key is at fault, simply because the key has never failed me before and all i did was leave the ignition on.

The red light does turn off when key is turned to ignition.

What happens when the ignition is left on? Does anyone know what it could break?
The book and all info I can find only goes as far to say "don't do it", but no one seems to know why?

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU4 2006 with Cummins ISDE4.5 270HP , 830 NM Engine Conversion
2,111 Posts
it can burn or damage the start motor coil

·
Registered
nissan
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it can burn or damage the start motor coil

From the information I can gather that is an issue of constant attempts at starting. The starter seems to hav no issues cranking over the engine, in fact I have needed to recharge the battery twice now. Maybe the battery is on its way out as I feel I should be able to get a few more cranks before she slows down.

Any other ideas??

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
My older battery was able to turn the engine when trying to start, but failed to start the engine untill I replaced a new battery. May be a good idea to try another battery.

Sent from my LEX720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
4,988 Posts
Chris, this won't really help you but it s possible that a problem has arisen that has nothing to do with leaving the ignition on.
A NATS issue, if it turns out to be that, can't happen gradually. It starts or it doesn't.
It could simply be a coincidence that an unrelated issue has suddenly appeared.

·
Registered
nissan
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Chris, this won't really help you but it s possible that a problem has arisen that has nothing to do with leaving the ignition on.
A NATS issue, if it turns out to be that, can't happen gradually. It starts or it doesn't.
It could simply be a coincidence that an unrelated issue has suddenly appeared.
This issue is not a gradual one. I parked the car, left ignition on, turned off, then tried to start, car will turn over but not start. It was an instant issue that has come from nowhere.

The problem seems to be the fuel system is shutdown/failed/or something else.

·
Registered
nissan
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Borrowed a global scan tool, checked codes and there was nothing.
Was going to recode the key but ended up finding my spare, spare key didn?t change anything.
I may now have a bit of air in the fuel line as I changed the fuel filter, a new return fuel line, and cracked an injector line at the pump. After cracking the line tried cranking the car over with no fuel coming out.

Now I?m looking for a good diesel mechanic that can pretty much guarantee that they will sort it out. Don?t want to waste time towing the car from place to place.

So, anyone have any recommendations for Brisbane?

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
The security coil on the steering?

·
Registered
nissan
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The security coil on the steering?

Maybe, I actually haven’t checked that one yet. Got an auto electrician coming to have a look on the weekend so hopefully after that I’ll know what I’m up for. Either a new pump or something cheaper, fingers crossed for cheaper

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
4,988 Posts
If the coil on the ignition barrel can't read the key for some reason, it should show a NATS code. Any NATS related issue that stops it from starting should show a code.

·
Registered
nissan
61 Posts
Have you tried simply leaving the battery disconnected over night and try it again in the morning?

·
Registered
nissan
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The engine runs for a few seconds when some brake cleaner is sprayed in the intake. Still no codes which is weird. Although it does seem the injector pump is gone..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
29 Posts
Have you tried what Lemo79 suggested? Seems like a weird electrical gremlin that you're experiencing, though what you said here makes me think it's air in the fuel lines...

I may now have a bit of air in the fuel line as I changed the fuel filter, a new return fuel line, and cracked an injector line at the pump. After cracking the line tried cranking the car over with no fuel coming out.
Did you sort out the air in fuel line situation? Do you know how to do that? Did you change the filter while you had the ignition on?

Cheers

1 - 20 of 28 Posts