Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

Registered
nissan
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm about to do an oil change on my truck for the first time.

Just wondering how to dispose of the old oil? And also what's the best to use to catch the oil out of the sump?

Thanks,

TF

Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
Most tips have a collection tank,or area.:)

Registered
nissan
You can get an oil catch tray for a few dollars.
You can also dig a hole and send it back where it came from.
Park over the whole (sump plug over hole) and let it all out.

If you do catch the oil, you can use it around the fence line to kill weeds etc.
Local tip would have a collection point too.

Just dont use the storm water drain.

Registered
nissan GU iv 2006
You can also dig a hole and send it back where it came from.
Park over the whole (sump plug over hole) and let it all out
:ranting::rolleyes:

naturally asthmatic
Not sure what the law is like down there but here if it is discovered that you have oil contaminated soil, it means a costly clean-up done by a professional company. But years ago, everyone use to use old oil here to oil their dirt roads to keep the dust down. Funny, people still buy wood furniture from Mexico that has been darkened using oil motor oil and no one says a thing. Here, it is all recycled. So, collect it pour it into old containers and take it to your nearest rcycling depot.

Registered
nissan
THE E.P.A. has fined people for using SUMP OIL on fences on rural lots, so if you dump it in hole:skull::skull: and get found out... gonna lose some money
better still ignore the idiot who suggested a hole, joking or not - more than likely not tho :loser::loser::loser:

A Quiet One
nissan
I use a 10 litre square bucket from Bunnings to catch the oil in, then pour it back into empty container
for disposal.
Suggest not chucking the container into garbage bin, was a garbo for a few years, have seen sump
oil flying back out under compression pressure in truck hopper, he he!

Registered
nissan
Discussion Starter #11
I ended up buying one of those 10L containers of water and emptying it, cut a hole in the top and chucked it in there, that way it's easy to carry, think I'll take it to the tip.

Was a messy process considering t was my first time changing oil but it seems to have been successful :)

Thanks guys

TF

Registered
Make sure you have atleast 10ltre container to catch it in. AND (Lesson Learnt) make sure if you use a Funnel that it is (a) High flow to disperse oil quicklyso does not over flow) (B) Is not blocked. I used father in laws funnel and it had a bit of sludge build up ended up with Oil every where. .

Tips have recycling and councils also advertise days as well.

Beat me to reply

Registered
Some of you guys need a reality check. simply put it in an 89c bucket from bunnings and sit that in your wheelie bin.

Now, as im a tipper driver i know what happens to fuel contaminated soil from servo's. It all ends up in land fill at a regular tip. same as asbestos contaminated soil its used as cover to compact the rubbish and stop it blowing away. asbestos in general needs to be covered for transport, but then its tipped at the same tip where your rubbish goes.

the only thing ive seen treated is the sludge out of the bottom of fuel refinery's huge tanks. even then its pumped out into evaporating ponds onsite ( granville) first, then transported to a facility where its neutralized then taken to the same tip but in a different area to stop contamination on other tip users wheels, etc.

next time you drive past a servo thats getting its tanks ripped out. usually there is a stock pile of soil left there for months. its there for the fluro carbons to evaporate and its repeatedly turned over till the soil contamination reaches a level so it can be taken to the local tip at a cheap rate.

Yes it should not go into waterways, but unless it goes to specific recycling centres, it all ends up in the same CLAY lined hole.

For sydney siders, next time your on the M7 near wallgrove rd, you may notice the tips there. one wont accept asbestos, contaminated soil,etc but right next door they take the lot. If tipped asbestos contaminated soil on a stock pile that has sat for a couple months, left to the mercy of high winds,etc for us all to breathe in.

Pretty sure most recyling centres and waste transfers will accept oil of a small qty free of charge. also batteries, gas cyliders,etc.

Weekend Warrior
Nissan patrol
It takes 1litre of oil to contaminate 1 million litres of fresh water.

That goes for the water table too.

it needs to be a farken deep hole for it to be classed as 'recycling' when it comes to oil.

There are organisms that eat oil, hungry little bastards, but who wants to tip 10litres of old engine oil on their gravel driveway?

My old man has an old 'diesel' engine with a high compression ratio, we will run it on our sump oil stockpile. Will also have town gas fumigation. It will sh*t the neighbours with the slow revving "bomp bomp bomp bomp" but we will have free power in the shed :D.........yet to commence.

Otherwise I take it to the local servo, he takes the oil for free.

Registered
nissan
Discussion Starter #15
Man for some reason i'd feel so guilty leaving it in the bin..... maybe i'll check out some local tips first, see if they'll take it.

If they ask for rediculous prices then i'll reconsider, haha.

TF

Registered
nissan
Use a bigger than 10 litre container to catch the oil, then once you've refilled the engine pour the old stuff into the oil container and re-cycle at tip.
Never bury or put in the bin. It's like the apple core out the window or the toilet paper in the sand behind that big tree. Once everyone starts to do it, it becomes an environmental issue.

She's apples
nissan patrol
The tip on Research Rd in Pooraka takes oil for free.

I just empty the old oil in a bucket, fill the engine up with the fresh stuff, pour the old oil into the recently emptied containers and take it to the tip.

naturally asthmatic
Of course your "tips" (we call them garbage dumps or transfer stations) will take the used oil for free. Around here there are a number of recycling businesses which also take oil. They actually make good coin selling this stuff, so they ought to pay you for it.

BLACK BETTY
Do not put the oil in the bin. It makes a bl##dy mess of the truck and in some cases the driveway of your neighbour.
I see a fair bit of it at work. The waste company if possible will report you to the relevant authorities.

Take the oil to your local workshop. It does not cost them anything. The pick up service by the waste oil companys are free.

This also applies to coolant.

If you are on the bayside I can get rid of it for you.

Registered
nissan GU iv 2006
Some of you guys need a reality check. simply put it in an 89c bucket from bunnings and sit that in your wheelie bin.

Now, as im a tipper driver i know what happens to fuel contaminated soil from servo's. It all ends up in land fill at a regular tip. same as asbestos contaminated soil its used as cover to compact the rubbish and stop it blowing away. asbestos in general needs to be covered for transport, but then its tipped at the same tip where your rubbish goes.

Yes it should not go into waterways, but unless it goes to specific recycling centres, it all ends up in the same CLAY lined hole.
No realaity check required. You shouldn't put it in the bin and you shouldn't dump it in a hole. As for everything ends up in the same hole, at least that is a "known" factor at waste management centers, and is heavily regulated.At menai tip, they "know" whats going in the ground and were it is, and for years to come monitor the situation. This includes a power station that runs off the gas given off by the decaying rubish and hundreds of water monitoring wells to monitor what is getting into the water table etc Tips are not willy nilly holes in the ground.:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts