Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
How do people get 35's legal in vic, I know engineers have to do a swerve test and brake test, but where are these engineers and what does it cost??

I only have a 2" lift on my gu ute and will be, if i can get it done legally, put radius arm spacers in. As only want the extra clearance for my diffs?

any help much appreciated

·
4x4 Addiction
nissan
9,534 Posts
Try Google or a phone book

Reactions: Niño

·
Registered
nissan
406 Posts
Pretty sure short of portals or another whole axle change they are illegal.

Just get the rest of the car legal and change them out if you get done?

·
Registered
Nissan
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I thought. I know in nsw they can be engineered, but what about here in vic, I've seen on 4wd tv Danny's 80 has been engineered, there must be some way of doing it legally...???

·
Registered
nissan
387 Posts
finding the right engineer is the most important part of any modification.
pretty sure you should be able to get a list of approved engineers from your states department of transport (or whatever it's called in your state). Then just hit the phone, ring them all and ask them what'd be required for them to approve it, or if they would at all.

Asking on a forum will get a heap of different answers, you can only find the right answer using your phone.

·
Registered
262 Posts
That's what I thought. I know in nsw they can be engineered, but what about here in vic, I've seen on 4wd tv Danny's 80 has been engineered, there must be some way of doing it legally...???
Landcruisers are different, rear ends are stronger, full floating with an extra bearing to take the load and at the front they have greater bearing spacing and better geometry to take the load.

·
Registered
Nissan
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Landcruisers are different, rear ends are stronger, full floating with an extra bearing to take the load and at the front they have greater bearing spacing and better geometry to take the load.
I've got the larger of the patrol diffs, full floating as well, so strength shouldn't be an issue.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,225 Posts
You haven't been able to engineer a tyre size increase in Vic in a long time. If they were previously engineered before rule changes, you can keep it, but no new ones unless its an axle change to an axle that came with 35s or requires a 35 for 'correct geometry' . I was told that by a guy that worked at Marks when I queried a few years ago.

·
Registered
nissan
885 Posts
Are you on drugs or having a laugh? There's nothing stronger about the front or rear of a landcruiser.
Specs to back it up? I'm interested to know.

Bearing sizes? Axle sizes? Brakes? Anything else that will play a part in engineering a larger rolling radius. Be good to see numbers back to back.

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
Specs to back it up? I'm interested to know.

Bearing sizes? Axle sizes? Brakes? Anything else that will play a part in engineering a larger rolling radius. Be good to see numbers back to back.

I've only even had a wheel fall off one 4wd and it was not any of the Nissans... it was a landcruiser. The rear wheel hub is held on by 6 piss week studs that sheared off...then the axle goes flying out the side when you go around a corner. Craptacular engineering. In contrast there are no shortage of comp trucks running 40"+ tyres on Nissan driveline. But seriously this conversation surely doesn't need to be had..it's an accepted fact...perhaps we can debate whether the world is round or flat instead.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've got the larger of the patrol diffs, full floating as well, so strength shouldn't be an issue.

Doesnt help the front end though with its narrower wheel bearings and poor geometry.

Are you on drugs or having a laugh? There's nothing stronger about the front or rear of a landcruiser.
I've only even had a wheel fall off one 4wd and it was not any of the Nissans... it was a landcruiser. The rear wheel hub is held on by 6 piss week studs that sheared off...then the axle goes flying out the side when you go around a corner. Craptacular engineering. In contrast there are no shortage of comp trucks running 40"+ tyres on Nissan driveline. But seriously this conversation surely doesn't need to be had..it's an accepted fact...perhaps we can debate whether the world is round or flat instead.
Your right, this conversation doesnt need to be had, from a engineering perspective Patrol stuff isnt there, just because someone runs 40'' tyres means its strong and engineerable, patrols chew through SF rear axles, breaking, bending and twisting at the splines, seen many lately.

Info from various sources.

Patrol front diff center is stronger, thats about it.

-Nissan diffs are prone to bending at the knuckle/ ball neck as these are 5mm smaller in diameter than a Toyota (which is a lot when they are on 55mm diameter)

GU - ~55.2mm
Toyota 60mm and shorter to reduce offset loading and bending momements

-Landcruiser has better kingpin inclination and castor - No more Nissan front end wobbles!

-Stub axles on GQ/GU are 2mm smaller than Toyota

-Patrol stub axles are shorter, meaning the wheel bearings are closer together = less capacity

-Free wheeling hubs -Toyota are stronger, Nissans only good for ~5000ft/lb, Toyota/aisin ~8000ft/lb

-Landcruisers have better brakes (all have 4 pot calipers for the last ~35 years)

-Landcruiser radius arm setup is better design and geometery

Axle stuff, Landcruiser fronts are larger than patrol, rears are the same as FF H260, SF H260 has larger axles but less support bearings and H233B is the smallest of them all, same as Landcruiser fronts.

Toyota,
30 tooth spl, 33.3mm (1.31") diameter, Land Cruiser 80 series front and rear axles, 105 series front axles, 80/105 series cv's.
32 tooth spl, 34.8mm (1.37") diameter, Land Cruiser 1998 onward 105 series rear axles.

Nissan,
31 tooth spl, 32.0mm (1.26") diameter, Patrol GQ, GU, H233B high pinion front axles
33 tooth spl, 33.3mm (1.31") diameter, Patrol GQ, GU, H233B low pinion rear axles
34 tooth spl, 34.8mm (1.37") diameter, Patrol, H260 full-float rear axles.
37 tooth spl, 38.4mm (1.51") diameter, Patrol, H260 semi-float rear axles

So where are you facts on Patrol stuff being stronger and being engineered?

·
GHMBC #3
nissan patrol gq lwb,3"lift.
3,788 Posts
So where are you facts on Patrol stuff being stronger and being engineered?[/QUOTE]

In the real world things work different from on paper
but good on you for defending your chosen brand (looking at yr signature it must be a landcrab)

·
Registered
nissan
885 Posts
but good on you for defending your chosen brand (looking at yr signature it must be a landcrab)
He's right though. The numbers don't lie, on paper and real world.

There are a couple of well known weakest links that everyone knows about, and everyone here loves to talk about-front centres and studs in the rear hubs. Both can be worked around with strong aftermarket support, but that depends what the argument actually is about, stock or modded.

It's a shame GQ/GUs weren't sold in the US, there would probably be a lot more aftermarket support.

·
Registered
262 Posts
So where are you facts on Patrol stuff being stronger and being engineered?
but good on you for defending your chosen brand (looking at yr signature it must be a landcrab)[/QUOTE]

I am well aware of some things being different one paper, but these arent those things, ie the hubs, thats physcial testing and the size of the necking down on the swivel balls.

Brand is irrelevant, I've had a Nissan too, facts are facts and you cant change the laws of physics and engineering, people asked for the facts, I've given them, not my fault some people cant handle the truth.

Aftermarket support is another thing, there are a bazzilion things available for Landcruisers aftermarket and only a comparabily small range of Patrol stuff.

Ie aftermarket CVs and axles, been able to get them for 15+ years with a unquestionable warranty and under $1000, high steer arms, 6 stud knuckles etc etc, that stuff is hard to get for Patrols or very expensive when you cant get it.

Granted Superior are making great inroads into after market stuff, like their front arms, stronger hubs, swaybars etc etc

·
Registered
nissan
2,406 Posts
Congratulations of compiling a long list of largely irrelevant measurements. I've neither the time nor the interest to audit the accuracy other than to say engineering is more complex than wandering around the shed with a set of verniers for a few hours. Some actual load ratings for the affected components would have been more relevant.

As for the rest of the driveline..perhaps a real world poll of how many axles, cv, diffs and steering components people who actually use this stuff offroad have had to replace would be more helpful than your desk based propaganda.

Your suggesting the patrol diffs cannot safely support the load of a 35. That's bullshyt. That's fact.

·
GHMBC #3
3,788 Posts

I am well aware of some things being different one paper, but these arent those things, ie the hubs, thats physcial testing and the size of the necking down on the swivel balls.

Brand is irrelevant, I've had a Nissan too, facts are facts and you cant change the laws of physics and engineering, people asked for the facts, I've given them, not my fault some people cant handle the truth.

Aftermarket support is another thing, there are a bazzilion things available for Landcruisers aftermarket and only a comparabily small range of Patrol stuff.

Ie aftermarket CVs and axles, been able to get them for 15+ years with a unquestionable warranty and under $1000, high steer arms, 6 stud knuckles etc etc, that stuff is hard to get for Patrols or very expensive when you cant get it.

Granted Superior are making great inroads into after market stuff, like their front arms, stronger hubs, swaybars etc etc[/QUOTE]

well according to the facts determined by me After owning a new 2003 landcrab ute that lasted less than 6 mths in western queensland when i owned an opal mine
*towing 3 tonnes total trailer weight
-rear axle broke at 5000 k's
-rear centre on the way back from axle being replaced
-3rd gear at about 8000k's
-Final cluster fuk- chassis twisted at 12000k's beyond repair
along with other **** that fell to bits
got full refund from dealer including accessories

bought a 5 speed 308 wb style side ute which lasted over 5 years doing the same job

this was on gravel roads always towing hmmm toyota's are good for????
a.landfill
b.nothing
or
c.burning
EDIT
d. leave in bush for wildlife shelter

and now use,,,wait for it....... a GQ Tb42 patrol '89 for towing 3 ton daily and guess whats been broken on that-
um nothing unless you count stripping the radius arm thread flogging it up a track with 34' jungle trekkers on.chased a bad grinding noise for mths till found a collapsed rear wheel bearing but it drove fine.
anyway blah blahblah toyota's suk dog balls

·
Glasshouse Bogan #2
nissan
1,137 Posts
I'll go with c. Burning

Nothing like a good car fire to keep warm in winter

·
GHMBC #3
3,788 Posts
I'll go with c. Burning

Nothing like a good car fire to keep warm in winter
WE HAVE A WINNER! C is correct

hard to burn tho- shyte don't burn unless you use heaps of petrol

as you may have gathered I have the same opinion for freakin toyota's and unregistered motor bikes at glasshouse hahahahaha

1 - 20 of 73 Posts