Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I’m looking at getting a patrol for when I get my ps next year and in the mean time I want to do it up a bit but I don’t know what size tyre is legal within QLD for red p platers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My understanding is that being on a P plate does not matter. You just need to be within Qld rules. The rules set upper and lower limits based on what the car was built with.
Vehicle owners will be able to raise their vehicles up to 75mm (incorporating a maximum of 50mm suspension and 25mm tyre increase) without certification. If your original tires are 265/75 R16 (31') you can get 285/75 R16 (33') without certification. If you want to go to 315/75 R16 (35') you need get a mod plate from a qualified person to certify it is legal. You can go 285/75 R16 as it only lifts the car by 25mm (1')

·
Registered
9,663 Posts

My understanding is that being on a P plate does not matter. You just need to be within Qld rules. The rules set upper and lower limits based on what the car was built with.
Vehicle owners will be able to raise their vehicles up to 75mm (incorporating a maximum of 50mm suspension and 25mm tyre increase) without certification. If your original tires are 265/75 R16 (31') you can get 285/75 R16 (33') without certification. If you want to go to 315/75 R16 (35') you need get a mod plate from a qualified person to certify it is legal. You can go 285/75 R16 as it only lifts the car by 25mm (1')
SO Queensland seems a lot more lenient than other states particularly WA. I thought it was a maximum of 50mm total increase without certification. But it seems for vehicles in QLD not equipped with Electronic Stability control like older model Patrols you can lift both the suspension up to 50mm and the tyre diameter up to 25mm radius which is also effectively vehicle height increase.

WA authorities have also made it very clear that 2" lift and 1" tyre size increase are both out of the allowable limits. 2" is more than 50mm lift and they are absolutely sticklers for detail so in WA forget that inches still exist when talking to transport licencing services guys with a tape measure in mm, a straight edge ruler, set square 90 degree edge and spirit level. That's what I have seen them at the side of the road with checking 4WDs in Rockingham lately.

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
This is useful for the background information on compliance as the starting point of what height suspension, where it is measured from, what vehicle Tare mass, GVM mass, Towing capacity and GCM is allowed from standard.

Open this link then go down to the TABLE not the first links.

Find your vehicle year model body type wagon ore ute in the Table and open the link to then find the rest of the details 48, 4.2 ZD30 manual or auto etc they each had different tyres, different Tare weight, different towing capacity and in some cases different allowable lift height so it is not one sixe fits all Patrols as some people seem to think it is. For instance a TB48 auto from 2003 to 2005 had higher lift height, larger tyres higher load and speed ratings, and better brakes giving it a higher towing capacity for an auto than any other combination of Patrol Y61 GU.

https://rvcs.infrastructure.gov.au/...ils?sCertID=12482&sMakeModel=NISSAN+Y61+WAGON

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,774 Posts
Not quite sure I follow @geordie4x4...

The data in the RVD is for the base vehicle, not the max allowable after a lift. Yes it gives the baseline where the lift needs to be measured from, but a 50mm lift is a 50mm lift, so if you fit a set of springs that is supposed to give you a 50mm lift on a TB48, the EXACT year of manufacture of said TB48 should make no difference to the spring.

Yes, the EXACT spec of the vehicle can make a difference to the baseline ride height (generally higher spec'd variants weigh more and can sometimes sit lower) which also means the same 50mm spring might give a slightly different final ride height depending on the vehicle spec, but I've also seen manufacturers specifying a tolerance of as much as +/-10mm for the same vehicles coming off the same production line.

I agree, everyone should use the data in the RVD when measuring their suspension modifications to make sure the mod is within the allowable limits, but the data in the RVD won't stop you from fitting a 50mm lift with a 25mm bigger radius tyre in QLD or VIC (I haven't checked the rules for any other states) on ANY Patrol.

Also, I think everyone works under the assumption that the 50mm and 2" descriptions are interchangeable. The difference is a whole 0.8mm and if WA Transport Services want to split hairs you should ask them for a calibration certificate for their tape measure and at what temperature they took the measurement.

Reputable suspension manufacturers in AUS work according to ADR's and state regulations. If any manufacturer puts a sticker on their product that says 2" instead of 50mm they're shooting themselves in the foot. Anyone who says there's a difference between a 2" and a 50mm spring should hand in their tape measure at the nearest Bunnings.

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
Not quite sure I follow @geordie4x4...

The data in the RVD is for the base vehicle, not the max allowable after a lift. Yes it gives the baseline where the lift needs to be measured from, but a 50mm lift is a 50mm lift, so if you fit a set of springs that is supposed to give you a 50mm lift on a TB48, the EXACT year of manufacture of said TB48 should make no difference to the spring.

Yes, the EXACT spec of the vehicle can make a difference to the baseline ride height (generally higher spec'd variants weigh more and can sometimes sit lower) which also means the same 50mm spring might give a slightly different final ride height depending on the vehicle spec, but I've also seen manufacturers specifying a tolerance of as much as +/-10mm for the same vehicles coming off the same production line.
This came up after a lot of different discussions and talks with engineers about things I need to do on mine to go through the overly complicated approval process for modified suspension and GVM upgrade, but also I just wanted to be clear on exactly what other things tyre size, rim size offset and particularly what is actually the baseline to start with when they are taking about mm differences.

So yes I agree just tyres and lift are a lot simpler than my reply above reads. Most cases a simple 2" lift and 33" tyres on a Patrol are the accepted normal, but not in all cases.

One situation that came up was how they choose to interpret the rules in different states and I know WA are very conservative on this but also QLD had a bit of a push from Police department a year ago and created a furore over the sudden issuing of defects and then the whole thing of which department is reading what part of the rules and how they each interpret it differently to suit their goal.

WA particularly a certain area down near Mandurah is having a similar Blitz style campaign at the moment with almost every 4WD getting pulled over for checks and yellow stickers. Some vehicles are being inspected while at a car park and given a sticker to go and get it inspected at the pitts, or a letter in the mail.

So just to example lift and tyres, I discussed with one pissed off guy that had been defected for tyres that were 33" on a 2000 model GU wagon whilst mine with the same 33" tyres on a 2005 Gu wagon are fine. The difference pointed out to him from the inspectors was that his originally came out with and they used the tyre placard on the inside of the glove box for this, 265/70x16, diameter 777mm changed up to 285/75x16, diameter 833 (28 mm height increase) which the inspectors simply had a page from a spread sheet they only looked at his tyre size on the sidewalls and said, No they is just outside the allowable tyre increase of 25mm.

If it were a newer model GU that came out with standard 275/65x17 tyres these were 790 diameter and are within the allowable increase.

Ridiculous yes, but that's the consistent rule and how they can apply it without any argument of measurements, rulers, calibration, tread wear, tyre pressure etc. I have heard so many ridiculous suggestions from hopeful guys saying "just let the tyres down a bit and you will be OK" but they will still use the tyre numbers regardless, no argument, the judges decision is final sort of approach.

Another part to this is they made abundantly clear is that "no you can't change the tyre placard sticker in the glove box", it is actually legal compliance information just like the plates under the bonnet. And they ain't that stupid.

You "can't Mix and Match optional tyre size information" either like, use the largest diameter 16R skinny tyre for diameter and the wider option for width. One or the other, if you had tall skinny tyres on your vehicle model to start with, then that applies to tyre diameter, also the rim width increase and narrow track, rim offset that came with that option.

There still seems to be a grey area on rim size, I have been also told I can increase rim sixe but may not be allowed to go down from 17" to 16" diameter as they have no clear wording in their standard or subsequent clarification notices.

I agree, everyone should use the data in the RVD when measuring their suspension modifications to make sure the mod is within the allowable limits, but the data in the RVD won't stop you from fitting a 50mm lift with a 25mm bigger radius tyre in QLD or VIC (I haven't checked the rules for any other states) on ANY Patrol.
Yes agreed, Qld seem to have come to their senses since the Operation Lift gave a big shake up to the industry and most of the 5" lifted 35" tyre Ford Rangers are off the road again (or shrunken to normal road legal lift height). I think the Transport Minister or some higher authority has had words with Police Minister or Commissioner for overstepping the bounds. A GU Patrol with 55mm spring lift and 25mm tyre size shouldn't even get a second glance.

And just forget that inches ever existed, unless you are in the backwards anti metric parts of the word.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,520 Posts
This came up after a lot of different discussions and talks with engineers about things I need to do on mine to go through the overly complicated approval process for modified suspension and GVM upgrade, but also I just wanted to be clear on exactly what other things tyre size, rim size offset and particularly what is actually the baseline to start with when they are taking about mm differences.

So yes I agree just tyres and lift are a lot simpler than my reply above reads. Most cases a simple 2" lift and 33" tyres on a Patrol are the accepted normal, but not in all cases.

One situation that came up was how they choose to interpret the rules in different states and I know WA are very conservative on this but also QLD had a bit of a push from Police department a year ago and created a furore over the sudden issuing of defects and then the whole thing of which department is reading what part of the rules and how they each interpret it differently to suit their goal.

WA particularly a certain area down near Mandurah is having a similar Blitz style campaign at the moment with almost every 4WD getting pulled over for checks and yellow stickers. Some vehicles are being inspected while at a car park and given a sticker to go and get it inspected at the pitts, or a letter in the mail.

So just to example lift and tyres, I discussed with one pissed off guy that had been defected for tyres that were 33" on a 2000 model GU wagon whilst mine with the same 33" tyres on a 2005 Gu wagon are fine. The difference pointed out to him from the inspectors was that his originally came out with and they used the tyre placard on the inside of the glove box for this, 265/70x16, diameter 777mm changed up to 285/75x16, diameter 833 (28 mm height increase) which the inspectors simply had a page from a spread sheet they only looked at his tyre size on the sidewalls and said, No they is just outside the allowable tyre increase of 25mm.

If it were a newer model GU that came out with standard 275/65x17 tyres these were 790 diameter and are within the allowable increase.

Ridiculous yes, but that's the consistent rule and how they can apply it without any argument of measurements, rulers, calibration, tread wear, tyre pressure etc. I have heard so many ridiculous suggestions from hopeful guys saying "just let the tyres down a bit and you will be OK" but they will still use the tyre numbers regardless, no argument, the judges decision is final sort of approach.

Another part to this is they made abundantly clear is that "no you can't change the tyre placard sticker in the glove box", it is actually legal compliance information just like the plates under the bonnet. And they ain't that stupid.

You "can't Mix and Match optional tyre size information" either like, use the largest diameter 16R skinny tyre for diameter and the wider option for width. One or the other, if you had tall skinny tyres on your vehicle model to start with, then that applies to tyre diameter, also the rim width increase and narrow track, rim offset that came with that option.

There still seems to be a grey area on rim size, I have been also told I can increase rim sixe but may not be allowed to go down from 17" to 16" diameter as they have no clear wording in their standard or subsequent clarification notices.

Yes agreed, Qld seem to have come to their senses since the Operation Lift gave a big shake up to the industry and most of the 5" lifted 35" tyre Ford Rangers are off the road again (or shrunken to normal road legal lift height). I think the Transport Minister or some higher authority has had words with Police Minister or Commissioner for overstepping the bounds. A GU Patrol with 55mm spring lift and 25mm tyre size shouldn't even get a second glance.

And just forget that inches ever existed, unless you are in the backwards anti metric parts of the word.
Yes I'm one of those with a 2000GUII that came out with 265x70x16 tyres, I went to 265x75x16 after around 6 months following staking of a sidewall up near Dingo Beach. Mine also has a 3"lift so technically I'm on the verge but (touch wood) have never drawn a side-glance.

On the subject of tyre size choice, over the years I've followed guys with 285's with my 265's and never been left behind.

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
Or watch a lot of 4WD 24/7 videos that talk about 35's all the time.
WA there's a never ending supply of young guys wanting to either buy 35"or 37" tyres then another advert a month later wanting to sell them for a big profit or dump/swap them get rid of them super cheap and swap to something legal for the pit inspection.

There's even a guy in Perth that hires out a set of standard springs, shocks and wheels just for inspections and yellow sticker removals.

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
Yes I'm one of those with a 2000GUII that came out with 265x70x16 tyres, I went to 265x75x16 after around 6 months following staking of a sidewall up near Dingo Beach. Mine also has a 3"lift so technically I'm on the verge but (touch wood) have never drawn a side-glance.

On the subject of tyre size choice, over the years I've followed guys with 285's with my 265's and never been left behind.
Yes definitely the 265 are more than adequate for 99.9% of Australia, not to mention cheaper, probably less likely to sustain damage, higher load rating etc. Anything that requires bigger tyres is just showing off, or pure wankfactor and I'm sure they could still get up there with a bit more effort on the smaller tyres anyway. The wife always gives me that "Do you Really need to go up that" when there's a sensible track around the side.

·
Registered
9,663 Posts
Hi guys I’m looking at getting a patrol for when I get my ps next year and in the mean time I want to do it up a bit but I don’t know what size tyre is legal within QLD for red p platers.
So (don't be too bothered reading all my longwinded ramble response above) my advice is make up your own mind but don't get sucked in to having to out compete anyone else. Sensible tyres of 265 or 285 are expensive enough as it is for a young guy, don't blow more than you can afford just for the looks or impressing someone. You can always upgrade later.

Springs and shocks are readily available for good prices plus caster correction and sway bar links for 50mm lift (dare I say 2"). Keep it simple and reliable for now. Bigger lift than that and it gets expensive very quickly and more problems involved in ride quality, roll control, caster correction, steering correction drag link, panhard rods, wheel alignment issues, front wheel shakes, etc etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts