Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Premium Member
nissan patrol
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw a bloke in a 4b get rear ended the other day, it got me to ponder, ....yes, ponder, the legalities of home made bar work. Especially with the rear bar being a bit of a favourite for a d.i.y. project in the shed.
I have a home made rear bar, and a mate asked if I'd make him one and I said no for liability reasons, cos I'm not a qualified welder.
But, I digress, if I was rear ended, where would I stand legally?? Would my insurance be void?? Could I get it inspected and mod plated???
So many questions.....馃

I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
Inspected and mod plated would be difficult, there would be separate engineering required. I鈥檓 not a lawyer, my opinion only. Insurance companies will avoid paying whenever possible.

Premium Member
nissan
Would my insurance be void??
The short answer on that is NO but there is a qualification. If any damage was caused by, or increased by the use of any non genuine product then the insurer can reduce their payout by a corresponding amount or pursue the supplier of the nongenuine item to recover any loss they have caused. It's not too often that a rear bar would cause an accident or add to the cost of an accident.

Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
There are no regulation in AUS that governs rear impact. There is in the US however.
Quite often in AUS, when you install a towbar on a monocoque vehicle (especially sedans) the crash structure / bar inside the rear bumper is removed and replaced by the towbar. In the US, the crash structure needs to be maintained, unless if the towbar was tested in a rear impact crash test and judged to have no effect on the base vehicle鈥檚 crash performance.

Generally, in an accident where one vehicle impacts the rear of another, the rear driver is deemed to be at fault, so the only time a rear bar can be judged to have caused an accident, or cause injury, is if it was to fall off the vehicle and driven over.

The only legalities to consider with rear bars in AUS, is whether they obstruct tail lamps (and/or if the lamps fitted to the bar meet the ADRs) and whether the mud flaps attached still comply.

Different story for trucks. They need a certified rear underrun bar to prevent smaller vehicles from 鈥渟ubmarining鈥 underneath them in a rear-end collision.

Registered
nissan
^^ Correct..........And don't forget reflectors, yes they are a requirement, and need to also be ADR approved and be of a certain size, seems to be a VERY common practice in AU, for aftermarket rear bar manufactures (and home fabricators), to just leave them off 馃槻

Premium Member
nissan patrol
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reflectors......???
I had a look at the factory plastic cover and there are no Reflectors. Unless they are built in to the brake/indicator assembly.....

Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
Reflectors......???
I had a look at the factory plastic cover and there are no Reflectors. Unless they are built in to the brake/indicator assembly.....
Correct, the red brake/park lamp lenses in the OE rear bumper have a reflector part built in. Even the OE dummy lamps should have a reflective portion because the bumper lamps were not fitted in all markets.

Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
Correct, the red brake/park lamp lenses in the OE rear bumper have a reflector part built in. Even the OE dummy lamps should have a reflective portion because the bumper lamps were not fitted in all markets.
Took some pics of my rear lamps. My 鈥渄ummy鈥 lamps are no longer dummies, so I鈥檓 not sure what the original configuration is, but since the reflectors are in the outer lens, I鈥檇 be very surprised if the originals are different.

Reflective part clearly visible in both lamps.
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car

1 - 8 of 8 Posts