Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys know if i am by law required to have a back seat in my troll?

I wanna rip it out and chuck in a bed for overnight trips

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
As i understand the rules, you are supposed to retain the complianced seating capacity ,or get a engineers cert to remove seats.

The exception seems to be if the manufacturer (ie some Toyota's or likes of a voyager) has installed quick release mounting points to remove the seats (as in, you dont need tools) these are "normally" only the third row seats in the back, not the middle seats.

I can't see a saftey issue if you had a cargo barrier behind the drivers seats, and didnt ever carry passengers, personally, id just do it (ive removed my 3rd row seats to go camping) go enjoy your camping.:)

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
4,691 Posts
Changing the seating capacity wether up or down requires a mod plate well in QLD anyway

For peace of mind and elliminate the risk of fines go get it mod plated

Jump on the QLD Dept of Transport website for info

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
3rd row are already out, i want to remove the middle row and permanently have a bed on top of a set of drawers in the back.

Living in Qld means when rego is due you just pay it and keep going. No inspections.
My concern is if i was to be pulled over by our friendly boys in blue, if i would have any issues.

Might be worthwhile if i kept the middle row seat at home just in case

·
Enemy of Reality
11,874 Posts
3rd row are already out, i want to remove the middle row and permanently have a bed on top of a set of drawers in the back.

Living in Qld means when rego is due you just pay it and keep going. No inspections.
My concern is if i was to be pulled over by our friendly boys in blue, if i would have any issues.

Might be worthwhile if i kept the middle row seat at home just in case
technically it is illegal to permanently alter the seating arrangement. However, if it is only temporary, there is no issues. Take them out, put your bed in, and if challenged by the fuzz just say you've been camping, and it's only temporary. Just make sure you leave the seatbelts in, otherwise this arguement would be hard to press.

·
Registered
845 Posts
I think there was another thread which said it was OK provided you didn't touch the seat belts and mountings. I have always removed my shorty rear seats for camping and for a long trip I take out the wagon 2nd and 3rd row seats. As well as giving more space it saves a fair bit of weight too.

·
Patrol 2.8 TD
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whilst on topic, with such a set up would i still need a camping permit on fraser i wonder, technically i am not pitching a tent (excuse the saying) but merely parking my car somewhere and sleeping in the back.

·
Enemy of Reality
11,874 Posts
whilst on topic, with such a set up would i still need a camping permit on fraser i wonder, technically i am not pitching a tent (excuse the saying) but merely parking my car somewhere and sleeping in the back.
yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I believe can remove seats but keep seat belts in place.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi guys new on the forum but not new to 4WDs. When I had my 130 defender dual cab (I know getting back in to a patrol soon) it had a 30/70 split rear seat in the back. I removed the 70 side and made a frame for my fridge to seat on, was pulled up by police a few time and was never questioned about it.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Boath rows of my rear seats only lasted a week in my pootrol. I have been told that i need an engineers cert but haven't never bothered and no problems yet.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
i used to own a mini van and i got pulled over because the cop couldnt see my rego sticker, i pointed out it was top left of the windshield and she said thats fine but while she had me pulled over may as well go over it.

she checked the tyres etc and did a stollen\rego check etc and there was no problem, the van usually seated 8 and at the time i had all the seats pulled out bar the front 2, not a word was said about that which was a relief because i was sweating over it, the van was obviously a people mover not a work van and the seat belts were still attached but the buckle and the lapsash were removed as they are attached to the seat itself.

either its not illegal or she didnt know the rules

·
KICKEN BACK IN THE BUSH
4,691 Posts
Whatever the excuse we use know adays
If we get pulled over and the car is not mod plated or approved at that time
Its deemed illegal

Saying removing the seat wont be an issue ,well not the case

Bit like saying,
If i drop a 454 chev in the patrol and get caught goin to the drags thats fine
OR running 37" is fine cause im comin home from a weekend mud bash

·
Registered
694 Posts
This is from the VICROADS website

Removing seats
The requirements for removing seats will vary depending on:

1. the original number of seating positions
2. the new number of seating positions
3. which seats are removed
4. when the vehicle was manufactured

An Approval Certificate is not required if:

1. the number of original seating positions was less than 10
2. 10 or more seating positions have been reduced to 2 - 3 seats in the front row only
3. 10 or more seating positions have been reduced to 4 - 9 seats in a vehicle manufactured before 1970
4. more than 12 seating positions have been reduced to 10-12 seats in a vehicle manufactured befor 1986
5. the number of seating positions does not reduce to below 13

If the modification is not listed above an Approval Certificate is required.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I've never bothered to check on the Transport Dept. side of things, was more worried about insurance.

Rang AAMI (my insurer) and told them i was taking the rear seats out for an extended trip and they were completely ok with it. They said the only problem would be if the vehicle use had changed, ie, from pleasure to commercial.

·
Enemy of Reality
11,874 Posts
Whatever the excuse we use know adays
If we get pulled over and the car is not mod plated or approved at that time
Its deemed illegal

Saying removing the seat wont be an issue ,well not the case

Bit like saying,
If i drop a 454 chev in the patrol and get caught goin to the drags thats fine
OR running 37" is fine cause im comin home from a weekend mud bash

Not really mate. It's like that IF you still carry passengers without the seats. Your examples have a direct effect on the safety of the vehicle. Removing seats does not.

·
Registered
34 Posts
when i went over the pits with my shorty i had the rear seat out and the rear belts (replaced with drawers)

the pit dude asked me if i was ever going to put the back seats back in, nup i said, so he gave me a mod permit and re-licensed the car for two seats only.

alex

1 - 20 of 34 Posts