Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been on the forums for a while trolling through posts and figured I may as well put up a thread on my Safari

Most of you have probably seen my brothers rusty gq coil cab on here

Bought the Safari last year after I seen it on Gumtree. Went and had a look and thought it looked pretty cool, so two or so days later rocked up with some money and a trailer to pick it up

Could tell it was a massive yolo sort of car. Just from the first look I could see the rear brakes were clamped, rust all through the roof, side steps smashed into the sills, all the engine and gearbox mounts were snapped etc. From memory it had been sitting in the same spot for about a year with the rego up to date, due to insane death wobbles and a bunch of other problems. Carpets and seats were full of dust, paint was faded to sh*t. Pretty much a pig, but I could see it had a little bit of potential.

·
Registered
nissan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

Suspension included:
Wrecked offroad boss shocks
Dobinson coils about 6 or 7inch
Adjustable panhards front and back with wrecked bushes
Adjustable HD draglink
RTC dampener
Stock length rear arms upper and lower
Drop boxes on the front.. :/ With wrecked bushes
Stock brake lines haha

Pair of spotties from Supercheap. 12V too...

Silvertop with a dts kit, spastic snorkel with a pod filter

Pillar pod with no egt gauge haha

Electrics were pretty loose in this thing. Had a compressor wired in with sub cord

Heaps of stuff wired into the lower battery.......... Disconnected that all straight away. Also a spastic second alternator which I'm pretty sure did not work at all..

·
Registered
nissan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lol

Some of the wiring I ripped out, cords going every where connecting to nothing haha

Old engine mounts, smashed in the new ones

Gearbox mounts too

Classic rusty roof

Fixed it with some tape, almost good as new.

·
Registered
nissan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Quite a seamless repair, blended with a rattle can so you could never tell.

Pretty happy with that

After a good going over I found a fair few things that needed fixing.... But I'll save that for the next update. Cheers for looking!

·
Registered
nissan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some of the problems I found with it:
Gearbox X member needed notching

Front diff needed all new bearings/seals/oil. Pretty stoked to see it had GU locking tabs

Was cheering when I seen this

Got some goodies with it from the bloke I bought it off.
Control arm bushes, offset bushes, extended brake lines, spare panhard bushes, spare locking hubs

Few interior shots

·
Registered
nissan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Done the usual quarter chop

Took off the second alternator that didn't work

Bough a fancy tube bender so knocked up some bar work for it

Got sick of the body lift in it because it sat too high. So I took the bar work off and the bodylift out. Wasn't really a fan of the bullbar and rear bar regardless so sold it off cheap

Decided to cut the roof off because it was rusty. Didn't really even have a plan as to what I was going to replace it with lol. Was thinking of a space cab chop, went through all the legal avenues to discover no one in my town can/could engineer a space cab conversion. Closest engineer would be Perth, and didn't really want to mess around driving there and back to get it approved..

·
Registered
nissan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Roof had a fair few rust holes haha. Unpicking spot welds would have to be my least favourite thing to do

Fixed up the holes

Next one

·
Registered
nissan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Patched up the hole

Another one on the rear corner

All the corners cleaned up nicely

Rust converted it all with ranex and a scotchbrite

Bought some roof braces from the wreckers for $50 to chuck in

·
Registered
nissan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hammered out the rear quarter dent and put a skim of filler over it, high build etc.

Scuffed it all back to get it ready for painting

Had these pressed up by G & L sheet metal, they done an awesome job. Pressed out of 1mm zinc anneal

Ordered a new roof skin, or 'turret' as it's called if you're a professional

Came all the way from the Eastern states, had a couple of small dings and a low spot near the factory pressing but nothing I'm too fussed about

Spent ages mocking up these drip rails. Roof on, roof off. Roof on, roof off etc

Rust converted everything, wipe down, prep wash etc then sealed with POR 15.

Put some tape on the underside of the drip rail so I could drown it with por15 in between the seam. Waited for it to all dry then seam sealed it too.

·
Registered
nissan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

Had to use my Eastwood shrinker/stretcher to stretch the corners of the drip rail to match the original profile

Pretty happy with that

Finished the bullbar off too

Welded the corners

·
Registered
nissan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I finished it off heaps nicer by hand with the file and sandpaper. Now for the **** part -Camera decided to **** the tin with the rest of my photos of when I resprayed it/finished off the roof. I'm trying to get them back but don't have much confidence that I can.

From there I body filled all the seams, high build/sand etc. Drilled all the holes in the skin to plug weld it to the drip rails, put seam sealer in between the two surfaces, clamped it all down then plug welded it. Scuffed the roof back, primed in 2k epoxy.

Painted it with this. Good stuff. Had it laying around from my brothers respray and he didn't use it. Really wish I painted it a different colour, knew this would happen haha

Crappy phone photo

A photo of a photo I took. These are the ones I lost when the camera **** itself

Overall pretty happy with the outcome, paint has a bunch of runs on the left side from where I couldn't see much because there's no light in the shed on that side haha, some dust and crap in it too. I might cut and buff it out if I can be bothered.. Painted all the insides of the doors/doorjambs as well.

·
Registered
nissan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

My brother has a few photos of when it was finished I'm pretty sure, I'll have to try and get them off him.

Straya.

Have a few more things I've done to it/plan on doing to it. Including fixing the spastic death wobbles which I'm pretty sure is from the unbalanced tyres. Cheers for looking

·
Previously known as twodiffs
1991 GQ Safari.
3,684 Posts
Nice work, low roof tops look much better. Guy I know used to work for Nissan over here and he once told me they did lots of high roof to low roof conversions for customers. Good score on the Cal cv's too...did you or the seller know they were in there?

·
Registered
nissan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice work, low roof tops look much better. Guy I know used to work for Nissan over here and he once told me they did lots of high roof to low roof conversions for customers. Good score on the Cal cv's too...did you or the seller know they were in there?
High roofs look ill proportioned I reckon, but when you're inside with all that room you quickly forget about it haha. On the gumtree ad it said there were cal axles in it but didn't have my hopes too high they were actually in there, have the invoice for $1950 from when he bought them, had been in it for about 14 months but sat out the front of the shed for about 12 months so they're basically new. Suprised he didnt put stock ones in, I probably would have haha

·
Registered
nissan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Couple more photos, this is about where I'm up to now

Made some sliders, 6mm mounts, gusseted with C brackets etc. Mounted with 1/2" High tensile bolts.

Knocked up a rear bar for it, 6mm mounts 48.3OD tube and 5mm fill plate. Painted it in 2k Polyurethane jet black

Flexez

Somewhere along the line I also replaced the control arm bushes and panhard bushes, chucked in the extended brake lines, front diff oil. Ripped the carpet out, was filthy as shiet, can see it has never been drowned and the carpet has never been taken out either. Zero rust in the floor which I was also cheering about, definitely the most mint GQ floor I've ever seen. Took the compressor out as it was all spastic and the solenoid for the front locker didn't work. Disconnected the power windows because they didn't work either, took the motors off and all that. High pressure cleaned the floor and wrecked the immobiliser in the process. Also sealed up all the holes with seam sealer so no water can get in the cab. Chucked in some floor mats for now

·
Registered
nissan
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sort of planning to maybe make a half cage/roof rack that bolts onto the rear bar/sliders.

Figured if I do it I'll have almost no chance of accessing the roof rack with the lift and tyres lol

So knocked this up with a step. It's like me, a bit ugly but it sort of works I guess. Going to sell the old one

Went and gave it a wash

·
Registered
nissan
36 Posts
Enjoyed you're thread, wasn't expecting the roof chop as I was reading either.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 27 Posts