Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan patrol y61 3000 2007 3doors
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read post's that describes a limp mode under 2500 rpm my maf sensor is new and I thought that was it!but ist still do the issue.
Most notable in 4 and 5 th gear
Do I need needle valve to fix?
Limp mode is for about 3 sec
Cheers

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes epoxy -40 +180 Celsius
Will see how much it resist. ..hope long cheers

·
Registered
nissan patrol
278 Posts
Limp mode is for about 3 sec
I don't think limp mode resets itself after a few secs, I think it resets when you lift off the throttle and then get back on it. Are you saying you are keeping on the throttle and it comes back?

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm keeping on the throttle and at 2000 rpm no engine thrust ...it goes slowly to 3000 rpm
I have the same zd30 engine on the terrano...And it goes really faster and no leaks at 2000 rpm..A little better with the glued intercooler. ..:D
Hope I fix with the new one. ..
I agree with you about the limp mode
Sorry for my English. ..
Thanks for replay

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also when I lift off the throttle and then I keepet again no difference

·
Registered
nissan patrol
278 Posts
Dont think that's limp mode....
With intercooler leak you should hear it if it was bad enough to cut power. Does power come back after 3k or still bad?
Your English is way better than my Italian...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After 3k power come back. ..Tomorrow night when all sleeping I will change the ic....so I can exclude them. ..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think also that patrol is moore heavier than my terrano lwb... But this not justify the 2k issue

·
Registered
NISSAN PATROL Y61 3.0 Di (ZD30) 09/2000
488 Posts
Hello neighbour,
there is another source of 'limp mode' which is when you exceed 1.2 bar boost for more than a few seconds in 4th and 5th gear. This may happen under load if somebody ( or yourself ) changed the VNT actuator rod lentgh and/or the limiting screw stock setting the wrong way.
The stock turbo was not designed to run past 1.2bar, where its efficiency falls-down dramatically. It may look nice on a gauge, possibly, but it is inefficient and you won't get any more air in, but for sure air temp will be higher.

Be aware too that, depending upon your Patrol confiiguration ( EGR, exhaust, inlet ducts..) your ECU might get lost and badly manage the turbo vanes opening. This may result in a boost drop when Revs are going up. And if, after a while, boost builds again whilst keeping the throttle down, It is not a limp mode, but vanes being too opened at some point in time.

Solution is to put one dawes and TWO needle then to recover from that situation. See my post.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
278 Posts
I think also that patrol is moore heavier than my terrano lwb... But this not justify the 2k issue
No doubt heavier!
After 3k power come back. ..Tomorrow night when all sleeping I will change the ic....so I can exclude them. ..
I dont think power dropping at 2k and coming back at 3k can be caused by boost leak. Something else going on. You need more info to diagnose. Fitting a boost gauge would be a good start. Also, if boost is low, beware of driving under load, EGT's will build to dangerous level real quick - one of the main causes of zd30 death.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello neighbour,
there is another source of 'limp mode' which is when you exceed 1.2 bar boost for more than a few seconds in 4th and 5th gear. This may happen under load if somebody ( or yourself ) changed the VNT actuator rod lentgh and/or the limiting screw stock setting the wrong way.
The stock turbo was not designed to run past 1.2bar, where its efficiency falls-down dramatically. It may look nice on a gauge, possibly, but it is inefficient and you won't get any more air in, but for sure air temp will be higher.

Be aware too that, depending upon your Patrol confiiguration ( EGR, exhaust, inlet ducts..) your ECU might get lost and badly manage the turbo vanes opening. This may result in a boost drop when Revs are going up. And if, after a while, boost builds again whilst keeping the throttle down, It is not a limp mode, but vanes being too opened at some point in time.

Solution is to put one dawes and TWO needle then to recover from that situation. See my post.
Hi neighbour!
I didn't nothing to the vnt...hope tonight when I change the ic to fix problem. ..
I will read your posts about. ..
Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No doubt heavier! I dont think power dropping at 2k and coming back at 3k can be caused by boost leak. Something else going on. You need more info to diagnose. Fitting a boost gauge would be a good start. Also, if boost is low, beware of driving under load, EGT's will build to dangerous level real quick - one of the main causes of zd30 death.

What else can I check? I've read about egt too high ahhhhhhhhhh!hope is not my case...
On my terrano I have a Bost gauge and 330000km
Tanks guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
NISSAN PATROL Y61 3.0 Di (ZD30) 09/2000
488 Posts
It could be your Vacsol playing games.
With the stock ECU, the vanes are closed at idle, and start to open at 300mbar. in the meantime, the pwm order to the Vacsol is not enough to get the VNT lever off the limiting screw.

Beyond that, the vanes start to open.
If for any reason, the vacsol opens in one go, the vanes go to full aperture, and then, you are done as your turbo works like a fixed turbine one. Therefore, boost builds-up at high revs only.
If you know somebody with the same Patrol, try his vacsol.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It could be your Vacsol playing games.
With the stock ECU, the vanes are closed at idle, and start to open at 300mbar. in the meantime, the pwm order to the Vacsol is not enough to get the VNT lever off the limiting screw.

Beyond that, the vanes start to open.
If for any reason, the vacsol opens in one go, the vanes go to full aperture, and then, you are done as your turbo works like a fixed turbine one. Therefore, boost builds-up at high revs only.
If you know somebody with the same Patrol, try his vacsol.
Maybe I can try to put the terrano vacsol if is the same ...
Tank you for the good explanation
Today I will go out for a ride to test the new ic and I let you know. ..
Ciao

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Power is Back! !! No moore boost leaks. ..It seems another car...I can also hear the turbo compressing air into the engine like my terrano does..
Thanks neighbour and Tess!
Tip for who want to try to repair like me the ic...If you have time you can tray to fix it with special glue eccetera.(Not work on mine it was broken inside ) ..But the better way is to buy a new one or weld the old
..The difference between man and boys is how much do costs their toys
Cheers

·
Registered
nissan patrol
278 Posts
Power is Back! !! No moore boost leaks. ..It seems another car...I can also hear the turbo compressing air into the engine like my terrano does..
Thanks neighbour and Tess!
Tip for who want to try to repair like me the ic...If you have time you can tray to fix it with special glue eccetera.(Not work on mine it was broken inside ) ..But the better way is to buy a new one or weld the old
..The difference between man and boys is how much do costs their toys
Cheers
Good news! I still don't get how boost leak only affected power between 2-3k and not above 3k though...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts