Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol gu3 4.8
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, lets compare all of our fuel and LPG usages..

Couple weeks ago I just bought this 02 GU3 4.8 manual dual fuel in great condition off auction for almost peanuts! The body, interior and driveline seems to be in very good condition (some tiny dents and stains here and there) and the motor have just done 334,000kms! New head and extractor/header was put in sometime ago according to my mechanic's pre purchase inspection. Fingers crossed, hope it will give me at least few years of big trouble free...

Now to my fuel usages so far.. I have 115 litre LPG tank but really can only use 92/93 litre due to that you cannot fill over 80 percent of the tank) and using the old ring LPG system, my car did 322kms with 92 litres of LPG therefore its 28.57 L/100km half freeway and metro traffic. With the sub tank of petrol which only have 35 litre, did 165kms therefore 21.21 L/100km of full metro traffic. I expected it to be thirty but am very impressed with the power it offered... I am thinking of changing the old ring LPG system to the newer injection system I hear will be better. I havent yet done the low gear range work and sand work. Tyres are Toyo 265's but not sure about psi that is in them. Should i increase it to 35 psi?

Hey share your fuel/LPG figures with us all and hope it can help us all to see the average figures and see if we can improve it or make it worser :D !

·
Registered
nissan
84 Posts
I recently averaged 22L/100Km on a highway run from Surfers Paradise to Dubbo on gas. I usually average 25L/100Km with a mix of city and highway driving. I just had the exhaust replaced with extractors a new cat and a 2 1/2 inch system. The installer said the factory manifold was cracked, the cat was completely stuffed and the system was rusted through all over the shop. Hopefully the replacement will have a positive impact on fuel economy but I'm happy with it at the moment so anything is a bonus really.

I also run 33 inch Coopers and it's an auto.

·
Registered
nissan
184 Posts
I own a 2002 TB48DE with the 5 speed Auto has 90 000kms straight petrol only and I get between 15 - 16L per 100kms

Costs me $150 to fill both Tanks while at $1.30 per litre and I got just a smear under 800kms just as the fuel light came on

Towing a Loaded camper Trailer from nelson Bay nsw to Dubbo Nsw I averaged 17 litres per 100kms

·
Registered
107 Posts
im my series 3 4.8 auto with jays mods i get about 17 going to and from work, its a pretty crap run 60 kay zone all the way and only 12 kays each way, prior to this i was 20-21. and on the high way pre-mod i was 17, now average just over 13, best of 12.7. all figures are for petrol only, with that economy i dont see a real need to put gas on it, plus the extra gas i would use i wouldnt enough to make it worth while

·
Registered
107 Posts
do a search and look for "cruise in manual mode" and have a look for the pva mod, if memory serves me right its a couple pages in. really is piss easy to do took me 10 minutes going slow, causes no problems with car gives more power and uses less fuel. what more could you want :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
02 Gu III injected gas, average 21 -22 l/100 everyday driving, best ive had was 19 l/100 on hwy unloaded, 23 l/100 towing 2 ton boat on hwy, petrol is better, like most others is about 15 - 16 l/100. most ive had out of gas tank was 452km from 86ltrs, all hwy @100kmh
all above running 265/75/16 tyres, more economical running my muddies if on hwy but kinda pointless

·
Registered
226 Posts
If it's running alright at the moment on gas, I wouldn't spent the money to change to injected. From what I've seen there's not much difference between them economy wise. Power might be a bit different, but you've still got plenty of stick with your set-up. Your economy sounds about right.

Some of you guys are getting unbelievable economy on petrol. I've seen one run at 55 to the hundred on gas before. (low range for about 130 k's.)

Good luck with it, have fun.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
325 Posts
I just did a test on petrol for the first time this week and was surprised that I managed 185km's out of 37 litres on the dot which is 20L per 100km and that was towing my builders trailer around town on ' 35's ' which I run all the time, considering I nearly watched the gauge drop when I was up it! On gas I get about 350km's consistently

·
Registered
nissan
38 Posts
I average 22/100 through adelaide hills and about the same out on the hyway with camper loaded, would like to know how people get 13/100 even if I drive slower than my grandpa I cant get it below 21/100 thats with jay's mod and the figs before are the same.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
447 Posts
FYI for anyone watching this thread.

I put a deposit down on a 2002 4.8 manual 104,000kms, LPG $23000.
WHAT A BARGAIN I thought.
I went to pick the car up and when the salesman started it up to drive it off the ramp it blew a sh*t load of smoke and died.

limped it down to the Nissan garrage and diagnosed it needed a new head.

I guess it was a result of having it on LPG. I got my money back.
Now Im even more hesitant to invest in a 4.8:(

·
Registered
nissan
401 Posts
FYI for anyone watching this thread.

I put a deposit down on a 2002 4.8 manual 104,000kms, LPG $23000.
WHAT A BARGAIN I thought.
I went to pick the car up and when the salesman started it up to drive it off the ramp it blew a sh*t load of smoke and died.

limped it down to the Nissan garrage and diagnosed it needed a new head.

I guess it was a result of having it on LPG. I got my money back.
Now Im even more hesitant to invest in a 4.8:(

Don't let that turn you off a 4.8.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've just had mine converted back to straight petrol following a head incident on a 225 gas style mixer. I have the mods that have been posted on here, had the head ported and have just put a 3" exhaust through with Pacemaker headers. At this stage I'm averaging 24l/100km. It's auto with 4" lift and running 285/75s. I haven't had a tune yet with the new engine mods but I'm hoping to get down under 20. Most driving is metro Melb.
Cheers

1 - 20 of 42 Posts