Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this won't apply to the majority of users on here since many of you are driving right hand drive vehicles....but my 4.8 GU is a left hooker and I want to fit a 2nd battery tray.
There's no ABS to interfere with but I can't find a supplier of battery trays anywhere.

Anyone found one anywhere? Failing that I will have to fabricate something which I'd rather not do.

Piranha don't have:(

·
Registered
nissan
21 Posts
LHD engine bay seems to be very similar to RHD. Google image of one below.

The 4.8 has the same issue as the 4.5 where mounting a second battery is difficult due to the air box etc. It seems the later 4.8 has the over flow in the right hand corner which may present an opportunity.

Read this thread and see images below:

http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/nissan-patrol-gu-gr-10/gu-4-8-abs-dual-batt-28512/

Would a Piranha kit for the 4.8 (non ABS) not work? http://www.piranhaoffroad.com.au/library/publication/document//btgu4.8p_-_fitting_guide.pdf and Battery Trays | Piranha Offroad 4WD Products

Some examples of RHD 4.8 with dual battery on right hand side: (which seems the most logical solution for yours as well):

Reactions: Streaky

·
Registered
nissan
21 Posts
Having read the thread some more - it would seem the right hand corner is a bit of work. I would suggest investigating the Piranha option - there are some good close up images of the back left engine bay or the Aus version to compare with yours on page 3 of the above thread link.

May mean its pretty much off the shelf as well seeing as you would prefer not to fab...

Reactions: Streaky

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Vman...you are a star sir! That's saved me a lot of time searching the various threads on dual systems....go get your self a pint and pretend that I'd paid for it :)

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a squeeze but we were able to fit a Yellow top Optima in the space besides the brake master cylinder. There's also a fantastic grommet hole right at the spot where I needed to feed the cables.
Now to get it wired into the Piranah DB180S.

Attachments

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hi Streaky,
can you let me know the optima yellow top that you are using, I assumed that it was the D34/78 which is what Dobowi has in stock.

I can't seem to get the tray to slide in, as it fouling between the MAF tube mount to air filter, the square thing, and the steel tube out of the brake master cylinder.

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Sid.
I made the basic tray that was then fitted by Ivan at Powertec in DIP. I supplied the battery and the basic frame base and they fettled the rest...very well as matter of fact.

The car is in a container on it's way back from Morocco right now so I can't say for certain the model number...but it's the smallest one they make 55Amps I think.

Have you seen Sean Ellis's dual battery set up in his Patrol? He has relocated the washer bottle and flattened a bracket holding the A/C cannister thingy...enabling him to fit a bigger 2nd battery in front of the original starter. It's a really neat solution and one that I would have prefered to fit a bigger AUX battery if I have to.

Attached is the only picture I have of the tray in place...I hope this helps mate otherwise you need to wait for the vehicles' return in about 5 weeks before taking a closer look.

Attachments

·
Registered
nissan
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is same as Seans set-up.

Mine uses the Original Optima clamps which I like alot!

Looking at some close up pics...my battery is the YT U 4.2 8014.254 if that helps?

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts