Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thought i would post up this for others to look at
the tray was your typical well over due for a paint job (chipped surfuse rust etc etc)

prep work rough sand back with 240 grit paper cleaned and high pressure wash
applied with foam 110mm roller and brush for hard to get to areas

brought 1L of Lic40 plus 1L of activator cost $67

used in total 300mls of paint for this job

has had two coats, and bloody hell it covers well for small amount of paint

sofar very impressed with this product, just have to wait and see now if it holds up to it rep of being tough as nails :)

sorry no before pictures that really show how bad the paint was on this tray

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,893 Posts
Did you paint over bare metal or a painted surface? If it was bare metal there's a good chance it will delaminate because your meant to finish off with 80 grit and for painted surfaces 180 to 240 is fine.

Cheers ****.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you paint over bare metal or a painted surface? If it was bare metal there's a good chance it will delaminate because your meant to finish off with 80 grit and for painted surfaces 180 to 240 is fine.

Cheers ****.
95% was painted surface ****, few spot where it was chipped was bare metal with fine surface rust, if it does delaminate I'll know it was prep that caused it ;)

·
Registered
nissan patrol
237 Posts
I love LIC40. The only paint I like more is POR15 but that isn't UV stable and is 4 times the price.

We use it over sand blasted bare metal with great results. Do two coats and it'll take a lot of abuse.

It doesn't hold up to being scraped over rocks but then again what will.

·
Registered
nissan
11,124 Posts
how does this lic 40 stuff go over sand blasted metal??? as im almost finished my rear bar and was either going to get it powder coated or either sprayed or brushed on lic 40. as i want something fairly hard wearing that looks good.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
237 Posts
like I said above, we paint straight over sandblasted steel. Goes great.

We've started using three coats now for a nicer finish as we use a custom satin black. Only real bummer is having to leave it so long between coats (16hrs) takes up a lot of time and space, not so much of a drama now that we've outsourced our painting, but we wouldn't have the room at our current shop. If it's just a once off thing then you'd be sweet.

·
Registered
nissan
9 Posts
im thinking about using LIC40 for my shorty patrol. i have never dealt with painting and have only really done minor panel beating prior to this.

currently my shorty has a real messy, clear coat pealing off paint job. am i correct in say that what i have to do is rub back all the bad paint making the panel smooth, panel beat/bog the minor dents. then paint with lic40.

will this stuff paint over the original acyrilic paint without any issues?
as i said i have minimal panel beat experience so i want to use a primer/putty will this work under lic40?

any help would be apriciated. i know that im not going to get a show job i just want to clean the shorty up and make it look some what respectable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts