Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in the opinions of members on how much the actions needed to control this virus will effect our lives in the future. My Grandmother raised me alone and she was born in 1892 so she saw a lot of things happen, WW1, Spanish Flu, The Depression, WW11, all these effected her life greatly.

I'm sick to death of listening to people whinge about federal and state Govts actions because they didn't have the common sense to do the right thing before restrictions were forced upon them.

I see dangers in the future, especially for some countries that may not roll back the powers they have given themselves. How do you see the side effects of this pandemic effecting us when it is all over?

Remember this is the no BS section so if anyone wants to post crap, think twice.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
1,837 Posts
First one for me is working from home. My current employer put systems in place to make WFH easy, long before COVID-19 ever surfaced and that is now a huge advantage. WFH has been part of the work culture for a long time. (Previous employer not so much.)

I think a lot of companies that had fears about letting people work from home will realise once this is over, that it can actually work really well and I think it might become the new norm.

Second is the final nail in the coffin for retail stores. Online is really now going to become the normal way of shopping.

Third is the end of cash.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think there are some very valid points there, my wife is working from home due to this, weekly interstate video conferences, the whole game, quite amazing how successful it has been.

I think the massive world wide cruise industry will take eons to recover, domestic tourism should take off once AU is in the clear, but that will mean border will be locked for a long time as this pandemic surges through countries not yet dramatically effectd.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Third is the end of cash.
I said exactly this today. Only time I use cash these days is when splitting bills at restaurants/cafes or buying used car parts. But even then I started doing instant bank or PayPal transactions long before all this Corona chit started. Don't see it being a big deal for me personally but it would be a bloody nightmare for others

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
290 Posts
Some great points here. I have no love lost for cruise ships or cash personally. I’d rather they didn’t tear up the beautiful Yarra Bay in Sydney for a cruise terminal. Some of the biggest cruise ships put out the same emissions as 1m cars a day.

The WFH thing is big. Bloody ridiculous when you think how many people, many of them paid by the tax payer, are flying across the country or planet for a “meeting”. Video conferencing should take 90% of this, ease traffic congestion and improve air quality for everyone.

Im a Paramedic in inner sydney, so personally, I hope this shines a light on how our health system is run. We operate at capacity constantly, which is why we aren’t equipped to handle a sudden surge like this. We don’t run military like that. We are far too dependent on China for our supply of medication and PPE, and don’t stockpile appropriately.
I hope the public learns what 000 is for, but after my 32 year old patient with the itchy eye last night, I don’t have much faith.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One thing that definitely looks like changing is print media, particularly regional newspapers, they were in trouble before this and closures are coming thick and fast now, once gone the chance of revival is extremely thin. The other thing that may suffer is regional television news due to advertising, a few years go there was a windback on some regional areas due to slowing advertising and this is getting hit again, like newspapers, once gone, that's it sadly. News will come out of city centres.

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
2,013 Posts
Listening to the radio the other day and they were discussing this. Apparently during the SARS epidemic in 2003, a lot of people had to work from home in Hong Kong. All the big companies had their offices in the city centre (which was very expensive per square metre) because prestige :rolleyes:.

The bosses took one look at everyone working from home and said, "Well there's a cost saving!"

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7,304 Posts
Definitely interesting to see how it goes.

I hope Australia sees a way to focus on nore Australian made products, but also a way to make it cheaper to make them, in turn cheaper to buy.

I think Aussie tourism will boom afterwards too.
I know ill be more keen to see Aust than some cruise.

Hopefully we can resurect the Great Aussie Spirit we were known for during the world wars, rather than the current swearing bogan lifestyle that apparently is Aussie way now.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GST increase...?
Possible, because what is happening now must be paid for, but I tend to think there will be other less 'obvious' methods looked at. This will take many years to be paid for.

·
Here To Be Entertained
Currently not a vehicle owner
11,874 Posts
Possible, because what is happening now must be paid for, but I tend to think there will be other less 'obvious' methods looked at. This will take many years to be paid for.
Nah, this will be a perfect opportunity for them to bring it in. I think it has been something both sides have wanted to do to increase revenue, but politically would have been suicide.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Nah, this will be a perfect opportunity for them to bring it in. I think it has been something both sides have wanted to do to increase revenue, but politically would have been suicide.
I think the same, It comes up every few years with each side taking turns pushing for it but I think it'll be unavoidable now.

·
Registered
nissan
6,395 Posts
I hope Australia sees a way to focus on nore Australian made products, but also a way to make it cheaper to make them, in turn cheaper to buy.
I used to work for what was Australia's last manufacturer of circuit breakers before they stopped manufacturing, as two other companies had done in the years before. We were operating a factory that was built to compete in a market of 20 million people while our opposition were operating factories built to compete in a market of 2 billion people. It wasn't just labour costs that worked against us because some of these factories were in Europe where labour costs were similar to here but they had 100 times our manufacturing capacity which introduced efficiencies of scale we just could not compete with. Some shonky business practices didn't help either. When a manufacturer sells circuit breakers on the other side of the world for cheaper prices than they sell them in the country where they were made presents problems you have no way of resolving.

Any advances we make in cheaper manufacturing pretty much immediately get adopted by the rest of the world so they can manufacture more cheaply as well.

Our car industry is a good example of the problems that exist when you want to make a product that requires significant investment in R&D but only have a limited market for it. There just aren't enough units to spread the R&D and setup costs over.

·
Premium Member
TD42 GQ
917 Posts
I'd like to think we could bring manufacturing back to Australia, if only for reasons of national security. As it is we are at the mercy of China.
Right now, with very obvious shortages of medical equipment and some drugs, the general population would agree to local manufacturing, however once this crisis is over I'm afraid laziness and greed will prevail and we will be back to buying from the cheapest bidder.

We can certainly look forward to increased taxes, be it GST, income tax or company tax. Will this in turn stifle local industry and thus boost the desire for cheap imports?

But.. our reserve bank is printing money and probably lowering interest rates. This should have the effect of reducing the value of our dollar, which will make imports more expensive and may just boost local industry. It's hard to know how things will pan out.

Will we see a return to import tariffs on certain goods? Reversing some free trade agreements?

I'm fortunate to still have a job, working from home for the past 3 weeks. I'm more productive in some aspects, less so in others. I'm absolutely enjoying not having to battle traffic twice a day. I'm happy to add the extra time to my work from home hours that I'd usually spend commuting. So my employer gets more working hours from me, and I save money on fuel. That's a win-win.

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
290 Posts
My sister works for a big chain of cinemas in HR. She explained to me that the cinema industry is hanging on by the skin of it's teeth. Very little profit, even when run on a skeleton crew of 16 year olds charging $25 a pop.

The entire cinema industry is held afloat by "the window" (as she calls it), which is the time that the production companies give cinemas exclusive rights to screen films. After a couple months, the production companies then sell it to foxtel/streaming services/DVD etc.

With the closure of public gatherings, films that have already been produced but not yet screened are being sold straight to streaming services in order to make their investment back ASAP.

She predicts that once the production houses start to make profit this way, they'll have no reason to provide cinemas with this window of time again, and the industry may collapse entirely.

·
Registered
634 Posts
GST (VAT) in the UK is 20%, if that's any indication.
I'm surprised ours has remained low, at 10%, for so long.
Yes but we pay chit loads more income tax than the UK! You can earn up to $50,000 pound ($100,000AUD) over there and only pay 20% income tax where we have to pay 32.5% for anything over $37,000 ($18,500pound) up to $90,000 then 37% after that

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,237 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@jackbyo very good point, I noticed some big movies that were up for release have postponed, lets see how long they can do this for, ie, the latest Bond movie. One would hope that this aspect of social outing will return.

·
Premium Member
TD42 GQ
917 Posts
Yes but we pay chit loads more income tax than the UK! You can earn up to $50,000 pound ($100,000AUD) over there and only pay 20% income tax where we have to pay 32.5% for anything over $37,000 ($18,500pound) up to $90,000 then 37% after that
Yes, that's a very good point and I'm glad you brought it up. I thought perhaps there would be balances elsewhere in their tax system but I wasn't aware their income tax brackets were that generous.

We as a nation really need to find a way to encourage local production. We're resource-rich but so very dependent upon other nations for manufactured goods.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts