Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Lift Pump issue

4K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  patrol97 
#1 ·
Hello, I'm having trouble with priming up a fuel filter after it has been changed. It's just not building pressure. I spent 3 hour yesterday pumping and trying a few things to get fuel in the filter. I ended up taking off the feed hose to the IP and sucking the fuel through with some clear 10mm hose but kept returning to the tank and I tested it for suction pressure when I took it off.
The Fuel isn't meant return after it has pasted the plunger? It should have a check valve to prevent that?

#2 ·
Did you make sure you had the little "O" ring in the top of the plunger housing back in it's proper position?

#3 ·
Thanks GU2. I did see that and it was still seated in the right position. I have never changed the filter in this rig before so I don't know if it was to begin with... I've owned it for 10mths
I did pump the plunger before the filter was taken off and did feel as though it didn't have any resistance.

#5 ·
The bulb should go hard in 1 - 1.5 pumps, if it isn't you have a leak and I would be going back over it making sure the "O" ring is in position, a smear of grease won't hurt it and also check what sydo says, secondly double check all your hose clamps, it's not unusual for these to cause issues, your not the first to have problems after their first filter change and you won't be the last, if the fuel has drained all the way back to the tank this can make life difficult. I know some guy's have sealed around the tank filler and put a small amount of air pressure into the tank to help get it back up the line.

#6 ·
I've check the clamps and filter tightness and I am happy the torque.
I took the house off and checked the oring where the filter spins up too and it hasn't moved and is in good condition.
Just one thing is, does the plunger meant to have a check valve (One-way) in it because I am able to blow air through the middle port (where the filter spins on) and then out the inlet.
I would have thought it shouldn't do that so that stops the fuel going back to tank?

#7 ·
I replaced my Filter head earlier this year with Genuine Nissan. My old one would blow through, I tested the new one and it didnt.

when changing filters bung a bolt or something similar in the inlet to filter hose to stop it running back to tank.

#9 ·
Yeah my hand primer would never prime after changing the fuel filter.
I used to have to put a rag around my air compressor pipe and blow the fuel back up until the filter was full, then the pump would work. It just wouldn't draw fuel if it was empty.

I have a lift pump now so that makes it real easy...

Padded from my LG-D855 using Padatalk.

#10 ·
what can help a lot is to clamp off the inlet hose when you do a filter change. the primer works a whole lot better then.
the other way is to fit a one way valve on a low part of the fuel line, ie just after the tank. that stops fuel draining back to the tank.

#15 ·
Looks a though the lift pump itself is kaputt.
No matter what I did the fuel would always returned to tank. I even put a piece of clear hose on the fitting for the IP and sucked untill fuel was seen. When you push the bulb down, fuel would pump and then release, which it it gets sucked back to filter.
Ordered a new one and hopefully will fix my problem.

#16 ·
On the outlet hose, block with your finger, press down plunger, release finger enough to let air out then block off hard, release plunger
Repeat a number of times, you get pretty quick at it.
Your finger just became a check valve, once filter is full it will self prime after that

An electric boost pump at tank also fixes it easy
Filling filter etc will help but isnt needed

#17 ·
I don't know what the fuss is all about changing a fuel filter.... It helps if you have a WORKING piming pump! 10 minute job, even with the injection pump with no fuel in it.
And yes, the pump does have a check valve in it

#18 ·
looks like your hand pump's problem. i always be able to hand pump the fuel through even there is no fuel in the line. last time when i install the electrical lift pump, after cutting through the fuel hose and install the frd11 in the rear of the car, the electrical pump was unable to pump through the fuel as there is no fuel in the line, then i have to use the hand pump to get the fuel through the line first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.