Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI guys im kinda new or just been away for ever but just wondering is a lift pump worth considering on td with ti pump if im not planning on big hp ? . Its an 04 ute with 400 ks on it , engines healthy but im doing new injectors and glow plugs and that also prompts me to ask if anyone is using the re built ones from bailys group ? They asked did i want plus 10 % but i dont think ide see any bennefit with a stock pump anyway but you guys may know more ? Only issue is a bit slow on cold starts . 3 glow phases and it fires instantly with about a bucket worth of black smoke then its clean at idle with a reasonable amount low down under load . black not blue or white .
Cheers for any insights .

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol GU
275 Posts
2000 ZD30 3l TD DI. Replaced pump with Baileys recon at 314. Now on 328 and all performance parameters are as per spec according to ECU Talk. Injectors were replaced with NEW from Repco at same time. Driven kindly and with 2t every tank and Nulon Diesel Inj Cleaner at 2 x recommended rate. No issues.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,336 Posts
I'm a fan of Diesel Central at Gracemere up near Rocky, I did a lot of research before doing mine and they came up very good value for money on the Bosch unit, got my bigger injectors from them as well, worth a phone call at least to compare, Shawn is the guy up there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey geeyoutoo hope i havnt caused confusion i may be on the wrong place in forum . im refering to the 04 6 cylinder stuff but ive heard of those guys and will call thanks mate

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
1,780 Posts
HI guys im kinda new or just been away for ever but just wondering is a lift pump worth considering on td with ti pump if im not planning on big hp ? . Its an 04 ute with 400 ks on it , engines healthy but im doing new injectors and glow plugs and that also prompts me to ask if anyone is using the re built ones from bailys group ? They asked did i want plus 10 % but i dont think ide see any bennefit with a stock pump anyway but you guys may know more ? Only issue is a bit slow on cold starts . 3 glow phases and it fires instantly with about a bucket worth of black smoke then its clean at idle with a reasonable amount low down under load . black not blue or white .
Cheers for any insights .
A lift pump will help when your pump is old and tired. Will also help with the cold starts.

I cannot help you with injectors.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,336 Posts
hey geeyoutoo hope i havnt caused confusion i may be on the wrong place in forum . im refering to the 04 6 cylinder stuff but ive heard of those guys and will call thanks mate
Still a bosch pump, just not quite as sophisticated electronically as the VP44, Diesel Central have extremely good knowledge of them.
Lift pump and 2T just add that extra bit of life to the old Bosch units, a carter lift pump was fitted as original equipment on dodges in the 90's when they were running the 6cyl Bosch pumps, it just eases the load on the inbuilt lift pump which has to suck the fuel all the way from the back end. On the VP44 it also has an effect on fuel timing down low, resulting in a slight lift in torque, not sure about the VE though.

·
Registered
2010 Jeep JK
3 Posts
A lift pump helps you if you ever run out of fuel. It helps when changing the fuel filter. But, it's not a lot of help for the normal operation of the engine, whether it's just a daily driver or used for a long haul commercial delivery pickup truck (RV travel-trailers, cars, boats, cargo, etc).

Reactions: blu42

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have been running a lift pump on my 95 GQ 4.2 (aftermarket) turbo diesel for years. I replaced the fuel filter with a Delco -glass bowl filter which did away with the manual primer pump.
Simple to do. Never given me any problems. Priming is simply a case of turning on the key and waiting a few seconds.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have been running a lift pump on my 95 GQ 4.2 (aftermarket) turbo diesel for years. I replaced the fuel filter with a Delco -glass bowl filter which did away with the manual primer pump.
Simple to do. Never given me any problems. Priming is simply a case of turning on the key and waiting a few seconds.
hey elsie do you have a pressure switch on yours ? i was just going to run via a relay

1 - 10 of 10 Posts