Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Does a TD42 need that much flow and fuel pressure? Carter 4600 yeah no problem. They even run fine with a Facet pump.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Yep, it does. Pump specs, as opposed to what is actually delivered at the injector pump is the issue from memory. My old Walbro, rated at 5 psi, only delivered about 1psi at the pump, nowhere near enough.

No doubt the motor spec is a factor too, with 12mm pumps benefiting from the larger lift pump. In my case Oldmav advised getting the 4601. I think Geeyoutoo uses one on his ZD also. As you say, the 4600 would be fine too for many people.

·
___BTDT___
42,515 Posts
No specs listed for it Laurie, but given its description as general use I will say its not what you need.

Just to be clear, this is for a lift pump, to assist your diesel injector pump?

If that is the case, then the Carter P4601HP is one of the better options. It has a good combination of pressure and volume suitable for the task.
Agree, I did a lot of research years ago on lift pumps, settled on a Carter 4600 which I ran for years, the issue was that after say 2500rpm pressure dropped to 0 (yes I fitted a fuel pressure gauge), OK it still wasn't in negative territory but I thought I could do better. Again after much research on how much pressure a VP44 can handle through the back end (your pump isn't all that different in basics) it turned out a guy in the US was putting 18psi into a dodge with a VP44, a Carter 4601 will put out 16psi but once you factor in losses through friction I never see anything above 13psi on startup then in a few seconds the internal reg kicks in and drops it to mid 11's at idle, bare in mind it is 10mm lines for us and I will assume the 42 is similar, 1/2" lines would see a higher pressure at the pump. At 100k cruise I have 10.2psi and been running this for years now, this will drop to 8 under hard acceleration, I would assume a 4.2 would drop lower.
My 2 cents worth on lift pumps.

·
Registered
49 Posts
What does everyone think of one of these? I have one in the shed from when I had a 351c in the patrol
Looks similar to the carter but is only 14psi and 110gph

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
I know nothing about that pump at all, but the volume and pressure look to be about right for our needs. I wonder given that it is called "Blue" if it is similar in spec to the old Holley Blue pump. From memory @OldMav has used one of these in the past.

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
5,808 Posts
It looks like a Holley blue copy or re branded with the same advertised specs. Cannot find any flow spec for it though. Its a bit less in price compared to a Real Holley blue so i would suggest it will be very inferior item compared to the real product on price alone criteria.. Poor man always buys twice.The Holley blue on our TD with 200rwkw worth of fuel with a silvertop filter and fuel lines will hold 10 psi at 80 GPH yank or 300l/h which is near 3 times the volume flow require so lots of room for losses and still keep 10 psi at the pump at all times similar to what the pump would have been set up for on the fuel test bench so you get timing as per the the pump builder intended.

For me i would find out what the pump builder set feed pressures were on the bench and then use a regulator set for that pressure with a holley blue. Or the black carter.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hi all,
Long time reader, seldom poster. I have read all the lift pump threads and have decided its for me.
I have a new pump out in the shed and was wondering if its too big (too much flow)
It is a marine pump with a bronze impeller, brass head and stainless shaft.(MAXIFLOW brand)
Free flow spec is 3.7 gallons a minute. 222 gallons per hour.....alot.
Would this potentially airate (spelling?) the fuel or cause it to heat the fuel too much.
I also thought if I put a generic fuel filter pre pump and mounted it in the engine bay to make it work a bit harder it may flow substantially less, due to restriction and lift.
The packaging doen't have any info on what pressure the pump will generate but I can 'blow' through the pump when it is off so I suspect it'll probably not create a lot of pressure.
Do you think its too much?
Also, if I want to test it for flow in the fuel system would I mount the pre filter and pump and run it through the standard fuel fiter with the fuel line disconnected frim the IP to check flow, and then connect IP and add a pressure gauge post filter/pre IP with engine idling to check pressure?
Thanks
Gee
car is GQ, Engine is td 42, standard pump, full gu turbo set up 3' exhaust and no intercooler yet.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts